PDA

View Full Version : Simple things to improve hand eye coordination?

firstblud
08-31-2007, 01:12 AM
Anyone know any good simple drills I can do alone to improve hand eye coordination? i know about the bouncing the ball on your racket with a "frying pan" (eastern) grip and dribbling the ball with your racket. just wondering if there's anything else.

my hand eye coordination is the worst thing about my game because i consistently miss the center of the strings :( as i have worse than average hand-eye coord even though i started playing tennis about 3 or 4 months ago.

sapient007
08-31-2007, 05:32 AM
i started playing basket ball this week in an attempt to get a little better hand eye coord as well as quickness. i think it should work out decently.

Geezer Guy
08-31-2007, 07:56 AM
In addition to bouncing and dribbling, try throwing and catching the ball on your racquet. Start with the ball at rest on your strings. Flip the ball up in the air a couple of feet, and then gently catch it on your strings as it descends.

Also, get a reflex ball. It's a rubber ball with big nubs that make it bounce randomly. Stand a few feet from a wall, and toss the ball underhanded against the wall and catch it. Really concentrate on watching the ball and making a good clean catch. As you get better, back up from the wall and toss it a bit harder. This really helps both your hand-eye and your reaction time. (Don't use a racquet - just toss and catch with your hands.)

Noisy Ninja
08-31-2007, 08:00 AM
When I used to play juniors, my coach used to have his players practice juggling tennis balls to improve hand-eye coordination prior to doing volley drills (another drill that definitely requires and improves hand-eye coordination).

Mystikal
08-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Ive started bouncing balls on my frame, when I tried a few months ago when I first started I could only get the initial bounce onto the frame. Now I can do it 4 to 5 times before losing the ball.

Bagumbawalla
08-31-2007, 04:40 PM
One good thing is practicing volleys against a wall. Put a small target (about a foot square) just above the net line. Stand about seven or eight feet back and try to keep the ball in play as long as possible- aiming for the target. Switch back and forth between forehand and backhand. Don't get sloppy, hit solidly in the center of the racket. As you improve, move in closer.

Also try juggling three tennis balls. It forces coordination and watching skills.

thenjimmysaid
08-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Pingpong and a lot of Halo :]

dave333
08-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Juggling.

I suck at it, hence, my hand-eye could be betta. All my friends that have awesome hand eye can juggle really well.

Trinity TC
09-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Hand eye drills that overload your visual senses. My students rally by keeping two balls going at the same time. That requires rallying at about 50% max power. The balls should pass each other...while going in different directions...over the net...at the same time.:p

They also do the pepper drill up at the net where they are fed balls in groups of three or four...at the rate of a ball every two-tenths of a second.:-o

These are on-court tennis specific drills so they translate well to game situations.

baselinerT
09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Try playing ping-pong.If thats not going well watch "Balls of Fury" for some tips.

Hot Sauce
09-02-2007, 04:42 PM
I heard on the news that video games help hand eye coordination. The segment mentioned something about doctors with better hand eye who play video games.

10s talk
09-02-2007, 05:52 PM
choose good parents :D

WildVolley
09-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Juggling.

I suck at it, hence, my hand-eye could be betta. All my friends that have awesome hand eye can juggle really well.

I think juggling helps. I can juggle 5-6 balls at a time reasonably well, but I have only slightly better than average eye-hand coordination. Some of it may be due to my poor eyesight.

Gmedlo
09-03-2007, 08:58 PM
I think juggling helps. I can juggle 5-6 balls at a time reasonably well, but I have only slightly better than average eye-hand coordination. Some of it may be due to my poor eyesight.

I can't juggle to save my life and I have great hand-eye coordination– it's not my fault I can't coordinate my eyes to three different objects!

I find that badminton helps. If you can play 30 minutes of high speed badminton without shanking once you're pretty well off.

Edit: Maybe my former FPS game addiction has something to do with my coordination... Uncoordinated people, load up CS immediately!!!