PDA

View Full Version : Serving from behind baseline

love2play
08-31-2007, 12:06 PM
I have discovered it's easier for me to serve if I am standing about 7-10'' back from the baseline rather than right at the line. I just feel less worried the ball will sail out and I feel better about using more power, which is something I really need to improve. Is there any problem with standing a bit back that way, as long as I step in real quick after the serve?

LuckyR
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
I have discovered it's easier for me to serve if I am standing about 7-10'' back from the baseline rather than right at the line. I just feel less worried the ball will sail out and I feel better about using more power, which is something I really need to improve. Is there any problem with standing a bit back that way, as long as I step in real quick after the serve?

When you say "step in" do you mean, stepping in during the serve so you end up in the "correct" position by the time the serve is over, or that after finishing the serve 7" behind the BL, then you step in afterward?

burosky
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
It may not have any negative effect if your last name is Karlovic or Isner. :)

Keep in mind, the angle of your trajectory changes as you move back from the baseline. The farther back you are the flatter the angle will be. This means you will have a smaller area on the service box to work with. Unless you can generate top spin on your serve, this will be a problem. Also, 10" away may not be an issue but again, as you move farther back you are giving more time to your opponent to react to the ball. This will also have an effect (even though it maybe small) if you serve and volley.

love2play
09-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I mean step in after, real quick.

LuckyR
09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
I mean step in after, real quick.

Then, yes, there is a problem. You will lose a few percentage points of getting your serve in, say 5 - 10% loss. Also since the ball will travel farther it will appear slower to your opponent and if they have a brain they should punish the serve with more aggressive returns.