PDA

View Full Version : flat serve grip

03-17-2004, 01:03 PM
i 've worked on my motion. toss, and grip and thought i had gotten them all solid, but i had a lesson a week ago and my coach realized that my grip was changing as i take my racquet back from a continental to more of a hammer/forehand grip. (have worked on this for the last 2 years but it always seems to change back for no apparent reason) my question is what do i need to consider in when changing my grip: motion,toss, ect.. i hope changing this will stop my grip from moving on me. thanks

Bungalo Bill
03-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Beleive it or not this happens a lot for players. More then most people know.

THe thing to work on is building a reference point between your fingers, palm or thumb or all of them and your racquet. That way you will know your in the right grip and then it is a matter of practice to lock it in.

For example, I used to have a tendency to turn my wrist up on a twohanded backhand which causes the ball to go long. I notice this happens when I feel rushed.

So, I have worked on referencing my two bottom fingers (pinky and ring finger) and the pads of them to "lock in" the hold durign fast exchanges. Overtime, I have corrected it.

Basically, your serving motion is causing your brain to move the fingers to make tiny adjustments to meet the ball.

If the continental grip is relatively new, this is a common thing and is completely normal. The brain is saying you havent provided it with enough feedback for it to know what to do during the motion. Keep practicing and use a reference point on the grip with your hand or fingers. YOu might find it awakward at first, but this is when you know your on the right path as the brain is forced to struggle to find the answers it needs.

03-17-2004, 07:46 PM
thanks for the tip Bungalo Bill.

Will
03-18-2004, 01:18 AM
i sure did i couldnt get one in when i first changed

Printer099
03-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Hey I have the same problem...have u thought about duck taping your hand in the Continental position I tried it and this helps