PDA

View Full Version : Retreating 1HBH

hjminard
08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
My 1HBH is coming along well when I have plenty of time to set my feet. Also doing okay with hitting it while moving laterally or forward. But if I'm retreating on a particularly deep shot to my backhand side and don't have time to get my feet fully set, the ball will invariably end up in the net (weak shot).

I understand why it happens (no leg drive - no body momentum ... all arm), but I don't know how to fix it. Is it simply about generating more racquet speed, or should I be trying something else?

Perhaps, when possible, I should stop retreating (waiting for the ball to come back down), but rather set my feet early and try to catch it on the rise?

Or should I simply resort to a slice in those situations?

Thanks for any input ...

stirallyracer
08-31-2007, 02:42 PM
if you have a good slice, then slice it. otherwise, just hit it back higher. it may be an easier shot for your opponent to handle, but at least you can get it back into play.

hjminard
08-31-2007, 08:08 PM
if you have a good slice, then slice it. otherwise, just hit it back higher. it may be an easier shot for your opponent to handle, but at least you can get it back into play.

Thanks, stilrallyracer ..

My slice is mediocre but serviceable (sometimes struggle to keep it low, but it works well as a defensive lob). My "natural" backhand stroke seems to be relatively low with good topspin. Hitting a "moonball" type shot off the backhand doesn't seem to come very naturally for me, but that's a good idea to work on for these situations.

Verilious
08-31-2007, 08:13 PM
If you have a mediocre slice backhand with a 1hbh, then you need to fix that. You should be able to slice fairly easily within many positions on the court, including being stretched far behind the baseline.

widmerpool
09-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Perhaps, when possible, I should stop retreating (waiting for the ball to come back down), but rather set my feet early and try to catch it on the rise?

if you want to be a better player, then you have to step into that ball. even if you have to "muscle" some of the ones that come up to chest level.

work with the ball. if it's that deep and high, send it back deep and high with tons of net clearance. you're not going to be able to flatten out a winner from that position.

maybe it will take 1,000 balls to get the timing down, but it will be worth it.

a slice is an easier shot b/c you can be lazy with your footwork and timing but it's always going to be defensive shot.

fuzz nation
09-01-2007, 10:56 AM
If you have a mediocre slice backhand with a 1hbh, then you need to fix that. You should be able to slice fairly easily within many positions on the court, including being stretched far behind the baseline.

Abso-tively... as I see it, the slice bh is an essential security blanket for anyone who wants to hit the one hander. I can only produce a good 1hbh if I have plenty of time to set it up, but the slice is quick 'n easy. If I want to drive a bh return of serve, I'll use a two-hander just because it's so much quicker to set and fire.