PDA

View Full Version : 768kbps DSL

LanEvo
08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
is this a fast internet speed? and how long would it take with this connection to download a 80mb file online? because i am switching to this speed so if i could get feedback on it that would be great

xtremerunnerars
08-31-2007, 12:57 PM
You won't get a guarenteed speed. People will rip on dsl but don't listen to them. The speed of the download will depend on whether or not the server lets people download at a certain rate, how far away you are, etc.

It's a respectable speed but it's not like god internet or anything. I'm just a little bit faster than that and while I would love to be faster the cost isn't justified.

LanEvo
08-31-2007, 01:01 PM
but is 768kbps considered a fast line? like for playing online games and streaming videos?

Photoshop
08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Is that 0.768mbps then? lol you must live in the middle of Arkansas or something. just checked mine (on wireless) 4728kbps, dawg. I wouldn't pay more than 15 dollars for that "fast" internet

btw, mine costs 40 dollars/month

LanEvo
08-31-2007, 01:22 PM
im gonna play only like $10 for it so i am just wondering if that connection speed is any good for playing online games and streaming video

35ft6
08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
That speed is fine for most things you'd want to do, but maybe not for gaming or streaming video.

With DSL, you get a certain amount of bandwidth that's all "yours," and with cable, it depends on who else is connected in your neighborhood. If a lot of people in your area has cable connection, it could slow down, and speeds usually pick up at night (when people are sleeping and less people are sharing the bandwidth).

My Roadrunner is 5mps, which would seem to be 5 times faster than yours? Before Time Warner took over the local monopoly, I had Comcast, and their standard cable internet package was 10mps, but Time Warner's 10 mps version is their "extreme" version and more expensive. It's nice to get less for more money.

MaximRecoil
08-31-2007, 04:17 PM
is this a fast internet speed? and how long would it take with this connection to download a 80mb file online? because i am switching to this speed so if i could get feedback on it that would be great
It is a good deal faster than dialup, but it is kind of the starting point for "broadband". 768 kilobits per second = 96 kilobytes per second. After you account for overhead and such, you should see around 85-90 KB/s download speeds if everything is working correctly. At 90 KB/s it will take about 11.4 seconds to download 1 MB, or about 15 minutes to download 80 MB.

LanEvo
08-31-2007, 04:24 PM
It is a good deal faster than dialup, but it is kind of the starting point for "broadband". 768 kilobits per second = 96 kilobytes per second. After you account for overhead and such, you should see around 85-90 KB/s download speeds if everything is working correctly. At 90 KB/s it will take about 11.4 seconds to download 1 MB, or about 15 minutes to download 80 MB.

oh ok thx and would u say this is a good connection to play online games, like counterstrike?

MaximRecoil
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
oh ok thx and would u say this is a good connection to play online games, like counterstrike?
I don't know, I don't play online games. I would think that ping times (latency) would be as important, if not more important, for online games than raw bandwidth though.

LanEvo
09-03-2007, 04:01 PM
anyone else got any imput? about this connection speed, do u guys think its fast?

angharad
09-03-2007, 06:19 PM
It's faster than dial-up. One thing that you need to look at, though, is how your general area is wired for the type of connection: Cable providers, particularly in neighborhoods that haven't updated cable connections for awhile, can get bogged down as more people connect. With DSL, you need to be near a hub to get max speed - my DSL isn't near a hub, so I get a decent discount on my monthly bill.

diredesire
09-03-2007, 08:27 PM
For gaming, I'd be more worried about the latency/ping/response time over raw bandwidth. You won't be maxing out your connection in general, so it depends on where your DSL's AP is located. If you are far away from the provider/access point, you may have a bit of a high ping.

As far as "speeds" go, bandwidth isn't necessary for many people. If you do a lot of downloading/streaming video etc, it is one thing, but for most people who are using the internet for web browsing, e-mailing, etc, not a lot of bandwidth is required. If you see yourself downloading lots of music, movies, etc, you might want to go with a "faster" connection. 768 is basic.

Also, you need to look at what kind of DSL package you're getting, many A(synchronous) connections have a separate download and upload speed. IMO, a basic 768k up and down for $10 a month is a pretty good deal. Game play is going to be subjective, as not everyone is going to ping the same.