PDA

View Full Version : Any string suggestions for a Tour 90

pow
08-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Right now I'm thinking of putting on Gosen Sheep Micro 17
May try 16g Klip Armour Pro in the future in it.

I also thought of the possibility of a thin poly(I'll string low) since I like the extra spin I get with the strings in my 18x20 93in racquet.

topgun78956
08-31-2007, 07:21 PM
hey i use a tour 90 and use pro hurricane... it doesnt break so its kinda a pain, but it retains tension decent, i like it. but thats just my opinion. I put it in the mains and in the crosses just throw in some crap for the crosses

pow
08-31-2007, 10:33 PM
I was thinking of going with a 1.20 pro line II perhaps... or maybe even the 1.15 if I can find some... (not on TW last I checked)... I'm not a big spin hitter, more of a flat hitter but I like how I can swing out and the ball comes down more with poly.

Valjean
09-01-2007, 06:45 AM
Gosen's OG Sheep Micro Super JC, Jim Courier's string!

jasonbourne
09-01-2007, 08:09 AM
I suggest a good multi for performance.
Synguts on this racket will provide average performance.
Polys simply does not provide enough feel at the net. If you're a baseliner, then this may work for you. S&V and all-courters should not waste their energy with polys.

goosala
09-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Yes, a multifilement string will give you better feel than a regular syn gut. But if budget is a concern then try Gamma Revelation or Alpha Gut 2000.

nickb
09-01-2007, 08:16 AM
I use Gosen Micro and love it....like it better than multi's. You could also put a good multi or gut in the mains with syn gut crosses.

gerikoh
09-01-2007, 08:52 AM
luxilion big banger alu touch hybrid..

or if you don't mind some cash go for wilson hybrid champion's choice.. use the natural gut in the mains and the alu power reel as the cross.. it should be the best string for control and it's pretty durable too thanks to the power reel

stormholloway
09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I was thinking of going with a 1.20 pro line II perhaps... or maybe even the 1.15 if I can find some... (not on TW last I checked)... I'm not a big spin hitter, more of a flat hitter but I like how I can swing out and the ball comes down more with poly.

I have K90s and one Tour 90 as a backup. I just bought some of the 3 packs for 2 deal for the Pro Line II. I haven't tried this string yet but everything I hear is that it's superior to Big Banger in every way including tension maintenance. I'm sticking the PLII in the mains and Tonic 15L gut in the crosses. I think this will make a beautiful combination. I'm thinking of 56/58 as my tensions.

I loved the Kirschbaum Comp. string and I hear Pro Line II is even better. If the string goes long enough without breaking I'll give the 1.15 gauge. The thinner the better I figure.

bad_call
09-01-2007, 10:02 AM
I suggest a good multi for performance.
Synguts on this racket will provide average performance.
Polys simply does not provide enough feel at the net. If you're a baseliner, then this may work for you. S&V and all-courters should not waste their energy with polys.

since i play all court, this seems to answer my question. thanx JB.

stormholloway
09-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Henman and Federer seem to be okay with the feel at net. Plus you'll get that much more cut on those volleys.

bad_call
09-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Henman and Federer seem to be okay with the feel at net. Plus you'll get that much more cut on those volleys.

good point. Isner look like he was playing with a full poly job and he plays all court as well. so looks like poly works for all.

Valjean
09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Henman and Federer play poly hybrids where the poly is being offset considerably by the springiness of natural gut. In no way is any use of such a hybrid an endorsement of poly's overall feel. I suggest that you watch some professional doubles sometime; after a while you can tell which players are using pure poly, or a poly hybrid with the crosses pulled too tightly, by that infamous dull sound followed by the volley falling meekly into the bottom of the net. Better hit one dead center then.

tbini87
09-01-2007, 09:25 PM

good point. Isner look like he was playing with a full poly job and he plays all court as well. so looks like poly works for all.

i wouldn't expect to get the same results as pros do by using their strings. they have set ups that work for them, but remember that they are pros and it might not work for an average joe. i would stick with a multi or syn gut or a hybrid.

pow
09-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Does full Klip Armour Pro 16 sound reasonable?

I think I'm going to try Gosen sheep micro 17 in it first before anything.

I like a poly but this racquet is stiff so it's not going to be like my Redondo, and although I don't have elbow problems playing APD with full poly before, I don't like a harsh stringbed. I might try Pro Line II 1.15 or 1.20 on it later down the road.

Valjean
09-02-2007, 04:53 AM
A head so small magnifies the stiffness of any material whatsoever; did you try one out?!!

Klip Legend is about the toughest I'd go to you--and only that much because of the poly you've said you're used to!

jasonbourne
09-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Does full Klip Armour Pro 16 sound reasonable?

For Tour90, yes - it is a good idea.

pow
09-02-2007, 11:17 PM
A head so small magnifies the stiffness of any material whatsoever; did you try one out?!!

Klip Legend is about the toughest I'd go to you--and only that much because of the poly you've said you're used to!

The Tour 90 I tried out was strung with probably Gosen or some pretty plain syn gut. I normally use full poly (Touch Turbo 17) on a Redondo 93 18x20 which is very low powered.
What about the polys I'm used to? I'm not quite catching you on that.
Thanks for the warning. I think I will stick to something soft on the first stringing. The only soft strings I'm considering are the Gosen Sheep Micro because it's cheap and it should work fine... or go all out and buy a pack of Klip Armour Pro because I read it is durable and the last thing I want to do is break gut strings. (Did I mention I don't mind dead strings?... I can't even tell the difference. I keep poly in my frame until I break it.)

For Tour90, yes - it is a good idea.

What tension would you suggest? Thank you for your feedback. Is it worth going full gut? or should I hybrid?

Bubba
09-03-2007, 04:15 AM
I use Signum Hextreme 17g in mains and either NXT Tour (prefer) or NRG2 in the crosses... great setup.

pow
09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
anymore suggestions?

jasonbourne
09-04-2007, 09:49 AM
What tension would you suggest? Thank you for your feedback. Is it worth going full gut? or should I hybrid?

I suggest full AP 17g at 56lbs.

pow
09-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I suggest full AP 17g at 56lbs.

Thanks, I think I'm going to go 16g though. I like durability in my strings.
So I'll go about 55?

jasonbourne
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks, I think I'm going to go 16g though. I like durability in my strings.
So I'll go about 55?

Sorry. I cannot recommend a tension with AP 16g for T90.

pow
09-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Sorry. I cannot recommend a tension with AP 16g for T90.

Think there will be that much difference from the 17?

jasonbourne
09-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Think there will be that much difference from the 17?

Yes - there is a difference.