PDA

View Full Version : Continental serve

drhopz
08-31-2007, 06:13 PM
When you use a continental grip, it tends to slice. What is the problem?

dave333
08-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Its usually the awkward wrist position. Trying to serve paddy cake with a continental is very difficult and requires the wrist to be in a funky position that tends to slice. It also happens a lot when you arm the ball. You need to relax.

Practice dribbling the ball around too, that helps your wrist.

Tennismastery
08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
The angle of the racquet which you correctly identified as producing the slice action is also the very element that produces the maximum available racquet head speed for a flatter serve (with the appropriate amount of spin still necessary for a high velocity serve to still land in), as well as creating the necessary racquet orientation for additional serves. (Hybrid, topspin and kick.)

The difference is the swing path. Certainly, a player who has served facing the net with the rudementary eastern forehand grip, (waiter position), will slice essentially every serve way out wide if they don't adjust their swing path and body position. (This is why it is not JUST a grip change when a player adopts the more advanced continental grip after learning to serve with the more elementary eastern forehand grip.)

If you stay more sideways and allow your forearm to pronate, you can hit an exceptional flatter serve.

Stay with the continental grip and you will eventually discover a better serve.

TheAverageTennisPlayer56
09-01-2007, 08:17 AM
depends where you throw the ball. infront is usually more for a flat serve. and behind for a kick.

krz
09-01-2007, 08:55 AM
pronate your forearm right before contact so that the face of the racket facing the ball. This allows for better acceleration.

Just swing like you are going to hit the ball with your frame and then pronate right before contact.

shojun25
09-01-2007, 09:17 AM
If you stay more sideways and allow your forearm to pronate, you can hit an exceptional flatter serve.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Most likely, you are standing facing the court instead of being somewhat parallel to the baseline when you are using a continental grip. When you hit a ball (provided that you are using a continental gip) and you are facing towards your opponent, you will have a slice effect. You'll hit a flatter serve if you stand sideways.

drhopz
09-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks, I have an american twist w/ semi-western. I'm trying to get a fundamental serve with pronation.

firstblud
09-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Pretty much what I was going to say. Most likely, you are standing facing the court instead of being somewhat parallel to the baseline when you are using a continental grip. When you hit a ball (provided that you are using a continental gip) and you are facing towards your opponent, you will have a slice effect. You'll hit a flatter serve if you stand sideways.

when you say sideways, do you mean perpendicular to the baseline? i'm confused when you say parallel to baseline because i'm picturing an open stance along the baseline.

shojun25
09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
when you say sideways, do you mean perpendicular to the baseline? i'm confused when you say parallel to baseline because i'm picturing an open stance along the baseline.

i meant perpendicular sorry.