PDA

View Full Version : Backhand Problem

Tennisguy777
08-31-2007, 09:11 PM
I have used many racquets including Liquid Metal Radical and Aeropro drv Cortex and I struggle to hit backhands. I don't know if it is me or the racquets, I am beginning to think it is me. I play left handed and one handed backhand, is there a racquet out there that is good for backhands one handed ones especially. Also for the lefties out there is there a specific lefty back hand grip I mean this has been plaguing me for like 4 years now If I can get a decent backhand I am a 5 5.5 player easily. Also are there any vids out there on the net that I can see or download on the backhand?

koopa_troopa
09-01-2007, 02:20 AM
I asked if you were joking in your other thread, but it does not seem to be the case.

I have my doubts about you being a 5.5 easily if you had a good backhand. 5.5s don't blame their racquets for poor technique. It sounds like what you really need is a tennis instructor to teach you the fundamentals of a backhand. If you have been struggling for 4 years, you may need to rebuild your backhand.

doggieboy
09-01-2007, 03:40 AM
I don't know if it is me or the racquets, I am beginning to think it is me.

Bobby Riggs could beat players with a frying pan or a broom.

TheAverageTennisPlayer56
09-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I can beat players using a small stool, or a book, or a flat bottle. (those fancy flat bottles)

Bungalo Bill
09-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I have used many racquets including Liquid Metal Radical and Aeropro drv Cortex and I struggle to hit backhands. I don't know if it is me or the racquets, I am beginning to think it is me.

Sometimes a racquet can help with control but that is about it. Or a racquet will help you "feel" the ball better. However, I think you hit the nail on the head - IT IS YOU. Not the racquet.

It could very well be your timing. That takes practice along with the harsh reality that you may not be suited for the onehanded backhand. Not everyone can hit that shot consistently.

I play left handed and one handed backhand, is there a racquet out there that is good for backhands one handed ones especially.

Special racquets just for the onehanded backhand? If you find one and it is the Holy Grail for onehanders, please let me know.

Also for the lefties out there is there a specific lefty back hand grip I mean this has been plaguing me for like 4 years now If I can get a decent backhand I am a 5 5.5 player easily. Also are there any vids out there on the net that I can see or download on the backhand?

Some people are simply not wired for the onehanded backhand. I can speak for myself in this category.

I can swing the racquet beautifully and at times really make the ball sing. But I also tried to "get" the onehander for years after a back injury and my biggest problem was "registering" the incoming ball in my brain through my eyes for consistent timing. Many times, I was slightly too early, on-time, or too late. I tried and tried and still had problems.

I even got my eyes checked (I am 48 years old) and nothing. I even searched all the books and information I could find on vision techniques - still lots oof inconsistency. I have a whole wealth of good technical information to use and share but it did not improve this issue I was having.

So, what happened? One day, it hit me. I can hit a very good hard slice and prefer to let the ball come in a little more. for some reason my brain times this well and I can see the ball better as it comes in more betwen the width of my stance. Hitting further back in the contact zone lends itself better to a twohanded backhand then a onehanded backhand. So I switched back to the twohander once my back was healed. Timing problem was solved.

However, take note, I already knew how to hit a twohanded backhand. I am not saying this is your issue, all I am saying is take inventory on what you are doing. Not everyone can hit a onehanded backhand.

Bagumbawalla
09-01-2007, 09:29 PM
I am going to agree with everybody, here.

About a year ago, I beat my doubles partner (we were playing singles) using an old wooden (Doris Harte model) tennis racket with 40 year old strings. He didn't even notice for a couple games.

Even if one has a terrible racket, eventually a good player will find a way to get the most from it. So, there comes a time when you need accept reality and get back to basics- unlearn your bad habits and replace them with a new effective backhand. A good instructor/coach can help you with that and save you the money you'd spend on another unnecessary racket.

Tennisguy777
09-14-2007, 07:19 PM
This thread Has MOVED Follow LINK

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=154298