PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open Syndrome?

J011yroger
09-01-2007, 03:27 AM
I dunno about everywhere else in the country, but here all the public parks are packed to the rafters with once a year players who see the USO on TV, and say "Hey lets go play tennis".

It is like impossible to get a court, and when you do there is some dude on the next court over with a 30 year old, or a brand new K-Mart racquet, trying his darndest to serve a buck forty.

Are you guys going through the same thing or is it only here in NY?

J

Venetian
09-01-2007, 05:14 AM
My courts are empty, just like the rest of the year.

jjjosh
09-01-2007, 05:39 AM
yes I have seen it twice a year, first for Wimbledon and now for the US open. Impossible to get a court.

forzainter
09-01-2007, 05:55 AM
we get in here for Wimbledon, i call it Wimbledon fever, just because basically everybody in the country starts watching tennis and think they know everything about the sport. But during WF we get 60 year olds coming down to the courts with their old wooden racquets.

Shahar26
09-01-2007, 06:50 AM
I dunno about everywhere else in the country, but here all the public parks are packed to the rafters with once a year players who see the USO on TV, and say "Hey lets go play tennis".

It is like impossible to get a court, and when you do there is some dude on the next court over with a 30 year old, or a brand new K-Mart racquet, trying his darndest to serve a buck forty.

Are you guys going through the same thing or is it only here in NY?

J

It's pretty hard to get a public court in NY year round (at least in Manhattan)

Duzza
09-01-2007, 06:52 AM
It's obviously not IMPOSSIBLE to get a court. I mean, how did those guys get a court in the first place? :D

Doesn't happen in Aus through Aust Open. Could be the heat that scares people away :confused:

dave333
09-01-2007, 07:27 AM
It is pretty tough to find courst at night here. Always so packed...

Craig Sheppard
09-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Yup, I've noticed the same thing, and I figured it was for the same reason. Exactly the same reason why you see more people coming out for group bike rides during the Tour de France. It only lasts 2 weeks, I figure it keeps the industry going a big w/ a nice surge in sales... it always dies down a week or two later.