PDA

View Full Version : Any harm to using slightly choked grips?

Alafter
09-01-2007, 03:52 AM
I am beginning to notice that while others prefer to hold the grip close to the butt, i prefer mine with a little distance between my pinky and the butt. On forehand it's about o.6 inches away, and on the backhand it's almost an inch away from the butt. Somehow, it just feels better that way in my hand while groudstroking.

Is there anything wrong with that?

TheAverageTennisPlayer56
09-01-2007, 06:05 AM
There are pros and cons. For your instance choking up means less power but more control. Roddick and Hewitt choke up also but more so on the backhand side. It just depends on how your swinging mechanics are.

dave333
09-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Its fine. I personally find it uncomfortable, but it feels like there's a little extra headspeed for more spin and less pop for more control.

Bad Dog
09-01-2007, 09:24 AM
There are pros and cons. For your instance choking up means less power but more control. Roddick and Hewitt choke up also but more so on the backhand side.

Thank you for this extremely valuable information. I know many non-pro tennis players who develop hand pain because they feel they should crunch down low on the buttcap, like they've seen several pros do.

But since you have now confirmed that other top tennis pros hold the racquet well above the buttcap, it should inspire others to hold their racquet up higher probably much safer for tendons in the hand , along with more control.

fuzz nation
09-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I instinctively choke up on my grip when I go to net or receive against a tough server; it augments my racquet maneuverability. I also choke up a little when I'm serving with heavy topspin, but for my heater I'll choke down so that my pinky is just about hanging in the breeze.

I don't think about this much in terms of safety. I don't think that choking either way will put you at risk, but choking down too far would probably make it harder for me to hit strokes with good timing. Choking up for strokes seems to provide a little better leverage through the hitting zone, but I'd expect it to slightly reduce your racquet's head speed. That's a fair trade if you need better control of a shot.

NLBwell
09-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Nothing wrong with it. You probably lose a bit of power and spin and gain some consistency.

Gmedlo
09-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Thank you for this extremely valuable information. I know many non-pro tennis players who develop hand pain because they feel they should crunch down low on the buttcap, like they've seen several pros do.

But since you have now confirmed that other top tennis pros hold the racquet well above the buttcap, it should inspire others to hold their racquet up higher probably much safer for tendons in the hand , along with more control.

How is it safer? It seems like the opposite should be true, as when your hand is lower your hand has much more freedom of movement. Playing choked up a little makes my wrist hurt almost immediately.

But anyway, I've seen some juniors that find it more comfortable to choke up a little. Seems to work for them.