PDA

View Full Version : Tennis can cause back pain

Steady Eddy
09-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Yesterday, after several days of terrible back pain, I saw a chiropractor who discovered that I had a dislocated rib. When he 'popped' it back in place, most of the horrible pain went away immediately.

The most likely cause of the injury was tennis. One day I was by myself, so I practiced serves and overheads for an hour. (To do overheads alone, use your racquet to send the ball way into the air, let it bounce, and then smash).

I hadn't been playing tennis lately, because here in Arizona it just seemed too hot. So the combination of not playing, and then practicing too long caused me to dislocate a rib. I'm still recovering, but I'm wondering if I'll ever want to risk playing tennis again. I don't ever want to go thru an ordeal like that again! Has anyone else ever had back trouble from tennis.

fuzz nation
09-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Whoa... So when you told the doc how you think you dislocated that rib, did he say, "Don't do that"?

...couldn't resist...

Curious though, since I've never talked to someone who has done that, could you describe what movements made it hurt, which rib was it, etc.? I remember doing something once and I thought I had bruised my ribs by compressing them sideways or maybe I had a nasty pull, but it seemed to be in deeper than my left side lat muscle.

Thanks for any feedback and stay well.

Bodacious DVT
09-01-2007, 03:54 PM
playing tennis doesnt cause dislocated ribs - poor form does.

that being said, you need to ease into it after taking a long time off. you simply did more than your body was used to. could've happened with any sport

Amone
09-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Yesterday, after several days of terrible back pain, I saw a chiropractor who discovered that I had a dislocated rib. When he 'popped' it back in place, most of the horrible pain went away immediately.

The most likely cause of the injury was tennis. One day I was by myself, so I practiced serves and overheads for an hour. (To do overheads alone, use your racquet to send the ball way into the air, let it bounce, and then smash).

I hadn't been playing tennis lately, because here in Arizona it just seemed too hot. So the combination of not playing, and then practicing too long caused me to dislocate a rib. I'm still recovering, but I'm wondering if I'll ever want to risk playing tennis again. I don't ever want to go thru an ordeal like that again! Has anyone else ever had back trouble from tennis.

Yes, back problems can result from tennis. No, this is not something that is directly connected to playing tennis as such.

Back pain can result from a number of problems, especially when serving and overheading. The big one for me is that my abdomen and my back muscles are asymmetrically developed, resulting in part from lack of working my abs, and in part from over-arching my back in the course of serving. In short, back pain (in my experience with it) tends to result from back problems unrelated to tennis being aggravated, and from faulty technique.

Ambivalent
09-01-2007, 04:52 PM

Obviously, since the definition of good form is good results without injuring yourself.

shojun25
09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
most likely, the culprit of your back pains are from bad form and ball toss.

Steady Eddy
09-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm still trying to recover. Sometimes it is better than other times. This is about all I can manage for now.

Joga Burito
09-02-2007, 02:05 AM
wow you dislocated your rib? i didnt even know you could do that, but im the same boat as you except i have problems with my spine. Ive gone to the osteopath on numerous for a pelvis readjustment. But if you have problems with your back then you should be strengthening your core rather than thinking about stop playing tennis.

donnygg
09-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Don't you feel honoured you have something in common with Sharapova? ;)

Exci
09-02-2007, 01:46 PM

that being said, you need to ease into it after taking a long time off. you simply did more than your body was used to. could've happened with any sport

Or sudden stress / too much stress on the back. I can see that i can cause trouble as after a long day of tennis, I Do feel my back worked (lower part we're talking about?) during my play. But I also feel so during squash, etc. You just have to be careful if you feel consistent pain, but I've never had it that far. From your post I think you did too much after doing too little, resulting in an injury.

ATP pros have back problems as well and while they're nasty and may keep you from winning a grand slam consistently, you should be fine for recreational tennis. Just ease off the throttle when you feel pain!

Steady Eddy
09-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks, everyone for all your help. Turned out that what I thought was back pain was actually pneumonia. And it probably had nothing to do with the fact that I play tennis.

Did you know that a back ache might be a sign of pneumonia? I didn't. While I hope none of you get pneumonia, take heed.