PDA

View Full Version : Plantar Faciitis

BWat2
03-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Anyone have suggestions for good footwear to manage PF? It all started when I purchased a new pr. of Adidas shoes. I've had PF for about a year but it's much better now than 6 months ago. I replaced the Adidas shoes with New Balance and have less pain but it's still there after playing. I stopped playing singles in favor of doubles to reduce the impact on the heel. I may have to spend some $$ on good orthotics as opposed to finding the "right" shoe as a particular shoe may be fine for some but not for others. Thanks. :D

sportsfan10
03-17-2004, 09:18 PM
I can't give you much help with specific shoes but a marathoner / running shoe store owner gave me the following advice: Make sure the shoe is flexible in the mid-foot / arch area. He suggests using a razor knife to score the sole in this area so that the shoe flexes more easily.

Don't spend big $ on custom orthotics without first trying the heat moldable orthotics that are available. Check out www.yoursole.com. I got some after my insurance refused custom orthotics and they are nice for hundreds less that custom. Bought mine through a running shoe store for $39.99.

Good luck--I've been fighting PF for about 6 months and am just starting to get better.

gjones
03-18-2004, 07:25 AM
I have used Super Blue Stuff on the arch of my foot. It has emu oil in it which is an anti-inflamatory and penetrant. It seems to help with the pain and inflamation. You could try Emu Blue, Blue Emu as well. They are Knock offs of the Super Blue Stuff. You can find these products in Wall Mart.

A Note Of Caution: Foot should be clean before application and after, sit for a minute to let it dry then put on a sock. Emu Oil is slippery when first put on and if you take a step you could fall.

Hope this helps.

RSWatkins
03-18-2004, 11:28 AM
My doctor instructed me to purchase a molded orthotics and wear them in all my shoes for 3 weeks. He also had me do some foot stretching exercises every morning and every evening. The pain went away after about 4 weeks. I continue to do the stretching and whenever I get that stressed feeling in my arch I just pop the orthotics into my shoes for a couple of days and everythings back to normal.

BTW I bought my orthotics at Sports Authority. Hope this helps.

SB
03-18-2004, 07:32 PM
I use Spenco orthotics, only $20. I'd start with the cheapest ones, and add stretching exercises, before going to custom ($$$) orthotics. Night splints were a huge help to me. The other thing is, don't EVER go barefoot. Make sure ALL your shoes have good arch support or orthotics. Birkenstocks are great, even if you just wear them around the house.