PDA

View Full Version : should you jump on the forehand?

Gantz
09-01-2007, 04:19 PM
is jumping a good idea?

Rickson
09-01-2007, 04:23 PM
is jumping a good idea?

You can jump if you want. I jump when I load up on my back leg. Kuznetsova and Roddick jump on almost every forehand. Go ahead and jump.

WildVolley
09-01-2007, 04:29 PM
is jumping a good idea?

Probably not. Pros probably jump more than most club players because they are more aggressive, are good at adjusting the hitting zone to a level they find comfortable, and use the extra motion to often apply topspin.

Roger Federer, for example, will jump to put the ball in his comfort zone, but usually he doesn't as much jump as aggressively step from his right foot to his left as he pivots his body into his forehand. Few pros will use a jumping forehand as their bread-and-butter shot.

I consider it an advanced technique. It is probably worth practicing on high balls, but only after you've honed your basic footwork and stroke.

Rickson
09-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Ah let him jump.

WildVolley
09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
You can jump if you want. I jump when I load up on my back leg. Kuznetsova and Roddick jump on almost every forehand. Go ahead and jump.

I just watched a video of Roddick playing. He does tend to jump more than other players, especially when he's forced deep. His standard technique is more of a small hop rather than much of a jump. He loads his right leg and hip and then pivot hops forward into the shot - bringing his right foot forward and his left foot back. From my observation, he seems to normally do this to bring more topspin into his shot rather than really adjust his contact point, as he seems very happy to hit a forehand at shoulder level.

shojun25
09-01-2007, 04:42 PM
do you mean jump upwards or jump towards the ball?

if you just jump upward, most likely, you will lose some power in your shots.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
09-01-2007, 05:14 PM
i heard jumping isnt all that good because the pros do it more often because they have there mechanics down but if u dont have it down a majority of the time it will screw you up

EricW
09-01-2007, 05:18 PM
When you have good footwork, good mechanics, and you hit a heavy ball, jumping becomes very helpful. A lot of people do it naturally, I just started realizing one day that I was jumping on the forehands I tried to hit hard/heavy

AAAA
09-01-2007, 05:23 PM
is jumping a good idea?

No. Advanced players do not make a conscious decision to jump into their shots. Advanced players become airborne as a consequence of their technique(body rotation, leg extension etc.) BIG Difference between becoming airborne from doing something else as opposed to purposely jumping then hitting a forehand.

dave333
09-01-2007, 05:56 PM
You shouldn't think about it. If you have good footwork, technique, and lots of head speed, going into the air while rotating is going to put you airborne.

Don't consciously jump.

WildVolley
09-01-2007, 06:25 PM
No. Advanced players do not make a conscious decision to jump into their shots. Advanced players become airborne as a consequence of their technique(body rotation, leg extension etc.) BIG Difference between becoming airborne from doing something else as opposed to purposely jumping then hitting a forehand.

I've got to disagree with this line of argumentation. Most of the pros far better coordinate their footwork with their strokes than the rest of us, but there's no question that on a lot of shots, pros are actively jumping to put the contact point into their comfort zone. The pros are becoming airborne by using their muscles, just like anyone else.

AAAA
09-02-2007, 05:46 AM
I've got to disagree with this line of argumentation. Most of the pros far better coordinate their footwork with their strokes than the rest of us,but there's no question that on a lot of shots, pros are actively jumping to put the contact point into their comfort zone. The pros are becoming airborne by using their muscles, just like anyone else.

'jumping' to hit a highball in the comfort zone is a different situation. When the ball is waist high players become airborne as a consequence of their technique.

WildVolley
09-02-2007, 01:32 PM
'jumping' to hit a highball in the comfort zone is a different situation. When the ball is waist high players become airborne as a consequence of their technique.

Yeah, the technique is part of the stroke and it is well integrated, but it is still jumping, or at least a hop.

I agree that you shouldn't be wildly trying to jump into the air and then swing. But the ONLY way you get airborne is to incorporate a jump into your swing. I've swung a racquet as hard as the pros and it doesn't make a difference, you won't lift off the ground unless you press off the ground with your feet. This motion is actually jumping. The pros simply perfectly incorporate it into their kinetic chain.

herosol
09-03-2007, 02:02 PM
i don't know tho. i guess if theres a high ball that you intend to really hit with forward momentum then sure.

but like roddick, the guy plays so much with athleticism that i don't know if its always right to copy some of his things.

he does things a little bit more wildly and compensate with it because he's just an athlete.

proxemo666
09-03-2007, 02:31 PM
You SHOULD NOT jump on any shot. Like what someone mentioned earlier, what APPEARS to be jumping is nothing more than the player's torque as a result of a good upper/lower body turn.

Now if you want to be like safin and jump on those high backhands, go ahead. You can't teach that stuff. You get the same result taking the ball on the rise.

A.T.S.
09-03-2007, 03:03 PM
It's not really jumping it's more an upward force that they use to be able to hit the ball at a comfortable spot where the arm can generate the most power and accuracy. That's why Federer seems to be "jumping" alot when he plays Nadal because of the high bounce.

Commando Tennis Shorts
09-03-2007, 04:09 PM
i think jumping is a good way to get some extra zip on a flatter shot while keeping it in and getting it just over the net

Amone
09-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't advise jumping, except in the case that you become airborne naturally, like many other posters have said, unless you genuinely can't reach it. Funny story about that, I was playing a guy once, and had to jump to reach the ball on my backhand. The twist in my torso as a result cracked (popped, not broke) all the way up my back. It was at the same time painful, relieving, and funny.