PDA

View Full Version : How do i get my kick serve to kick more >>

Ambivalent
09-01-2007, 05:00 PM
So apparently, after a hitting session with my friend today, my kick serve on ad court is kicking pretty nicely forward and up, but i want it to kick more >>, to the backhand. Do i just have to brush at a diff angle?

dave333
09-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Brush faster, less drive, more angle, closer to eastern backhand grip, etc.

Lots of stuff you can do.

dricas24
09-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I want to do a kick serve but I dont really understand it really. I just don
t understand the brush up thing. I can do a slice by brushing the right side of the ball but I cant do a kick.

Ambivalent
09-01-2007, 05:47 PM
The way i think of it, a slice serve is like a "/" motion, but not that extreme. A kick would be that same motion, but the other way around.

dricas24
09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
ok I get it now!

libiss
09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
yeah, it's the same for me, wise. If i remember to hit harder (swing faster) and angle the swing I should fun. Then there's the one problem, doing so I can hit the serve about 20 times and my arm and body is sore after a while...

NamRanger
09-05-2007, 07:36 AM
t understand the brush up thing. I can do a slice by brushing the right side of the ball but I cant do a kick.

You have the correct motion. A kick serve in reality is VERY similiar to a slice serve, it's just that where you meet the ball is different. Keep the ball slightly in front of you, but toss slightly to your left. This will force you to get underneath the ball, and allow you to get that kick you want.

sonicdeviant
09-06-2007, 06:22 PM

The kick swing is just like any other serve - same pronation but with a different angle of attack. You have to get the ball over your left shoulder...or better yet...get it just behind your left shoulder. Yes, this feels weird at first, but now you know why they say you have to arch your back and get a good knee bend.

There are a few keys on the kick serve that work for me...get the toss in the right spot (described above), use a grip between an EBH and Continental (this should feel weird too, but if you pronate properly...you won't send the ball into the next city), get your right elbow going up towards the ball before you pronate (i.e., your wrist "snaps" in 3 dimensions--upward, forward, and from left-to-right), and MAINTAIN A SIDEWAYS POSITION for as long as you can.

My advice? Forget all that stuff about clock faces...a tennis ball is a sphere, not a flat circle. If you get the toss in the right spot and do the steps listed above, your racket will naturally go from "8 o'clock to 2 o'clock" or whatever. :-D

fuzz nation
09-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Since a kick requires more vertical rotation on the ball than the horizontal spin that you see on a slice serve, I need a deliberate leg drive up through the serve to really help make that spin happen. It's a little funky because you can hit a slice serve at the top of your motion, but you need to contact the ball for a kick serve while the racquet is still ascending - the contact point is a little bit lower.

While some other things in tennis can be worked out through individual research and practice (let's say trial and error), I think that employing a trained eye is close to mandatory when it comes to developing advanced serving techniques. I've worked on this stuff with several players as a teacher or as a coach and it's almost never just one simple adjustment to get a serve working properly. I agree that lots of pros are expensive as hell, but a good serving lesson can be a great investment in your game. It costs less than a typical new racquet and the know-how can last a whole lot longer.