PDA

View Full Version : how to control flat ground strokes going long?

UW_Husky88
09-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Anyone know how to control flat groundies? I have a closed pattern, control racket, so its not the equipment, but what do people do so that they are able to flatten it out but still keep it in? Do they bend their knees or what?

btw, I'm asking for the forehand only. Somehow my backhand can be flattened out easily but not my forehand (weird huh?)

Oxford
09-02-2007, 12:16 AM
I think eventually you find your power range for keeping the ball in and near the baseline when hitting flat. Just keep hitting with a partner with a consistent stroke and FEEL it into that zone a few feet in front of the Baseline.

Use new balls and the same racquet so all elements remain the same.

Good luck with that

ox

dave333
09-02-2007, 06:37 AM
You can aim lower, or just just add a little more topspin.

Hobomagic
09-02-2007, 07:31 AM
You will probably get a feel after awhile on your groundies on how much power to put in. Try to always have a decent amount of top on the ball for safety and consistency.

Rickson
09-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Anyone know how to control flat groundies? I have a closed pattern, control racket, so its not the equipment, but what do people do so that they are able to flatten it out but still keep it in? Do they bend their knees or what?

btw, I'm asking for the forehand only. Somehow my backhand can be flattened out easily but not my forehand (weird huh?)
If you're hitting a relatively flat and hard shot that starts from below the net, you'll find your ball might sail long if you don't add some topspin, but if you're talking about hitting flat balls that are well above the net, hit with somewhat of a downward trajectory, otherwise, those balls will sail long too. Try a closed face as well on high balls.

LuckyR
09-02-2007, 09:06 AM
In the modern era the term "flat" usually means: a little topspin. Just add a bit more to add control. If you depend on pure aiming to keep your shots in, you will get beat by the numerous supertopspinning guys who can hit from the baseline all day waiting for you to miss-aim a shot long.

UW_Husky88
09-02-2007, 10:34 AM
yeah I know I still need some top. I mean, I don't want to be shriekapova who's FH will die on her. The thing is, I hit with so much spin right now that I'm mis-hitting a lot, and I really want to flatten my strokes out a bit for power sake. My forehand is weak sauce right now, and by flattening it out a bit, I think it will help me.

So when swinging, do you go low to high with the racket well under the ball, or just a bit under it?

Bagumbawalla
09-02-2007, 01:18 PM
There are not that many factors involved in keeping the ball in the court, so it shouldn't be that hard to sort out.

If you racket face it too open you will, of course, hit long.

If you hit too hard without enough topspin, you will hit long.

If you hit too high above the net (and too hard and or without topspin) the ball will sail.

If you hit the ball from an unbalanced position, late or on your heels, the ball might soar.

The factors involved are gravity, speed, amount of topspin, height above the net, and, let's face it, the ability to control your stroke.

If you can't figure it out yourself, have a good player watch you as you hit dozens of balls. He or she should be able to pinpoint the defect. Correcting it is another matter. Once you have "grooved" a flawed stroke, it is difficult to undo. You may need professional help to rebuild the stroke.