PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried to play left handed?

slicefox
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
I was bored the other day and I tried to play with my left arm (i'm right handed). I was doing pretty well... i think it would be tight to be able to play with both hands. Has anyone tried to play with their non dominant hand?

P.S. is it against the rules to play with 2 racquets at once?

stoffer
09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Ya Ive played left handed a few times. Im surprisingly decent on my groundstrokes. I have pretty good control but not much power. I tried serving left handed though and I cant really do it to any effectiveness.

And how would you expect to serve playing with 2 racquets?

scotus
09-02-2007, 07:47 PM
P.S. is it against the rules to play with 2 racquets at once?

According to one issue of Tennis magazine, it is illegal. Maybe you should look up the CODE.

AceofBase
09-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Play ok with left but with no power!

Noveson
09-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I have a pretty amazing slice right handed, but I can't hit a topspin forehand with my right hand. Let alone serve.

adamvann
09-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Everytime I play. But I'm left handed anyway.

Tofuspeedstar
09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah I have, my backhand is horrible haha.

xtremerunnerars
09-02-2007, 09:34 PM
0 power but I can keep a rally going. I have no real rhythm with the left side of my body...which is why I can't do a 2hbh. It's almost like I have the right side of someone and the left side of someone else!

tennisnj
09-03-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm ambidextrous, so it's not a big deal for me. Serving, volleying, rallying, all ambidextrous.

chris1992
09-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Playing with your weaker hand is very good for your game...espercially your 2 handed backhand. Ive seen loads of pros doing it in the service box and from the baseline.

It is also useful if your a coach..you dont want to miss your pay just because of a strain in your playing arm.?

dave333
09-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Playing lefty is a good way to improve 2 hand backhand.

I have a nice lefty forehand, but my backhand sucks. I basically load it with spin and hit it high hehe. Moonball.

Infl8edEg0
09-03-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm ambidextrous, so it's not a big deal for me. Serving, volleying, rallying, all ambidextrous.

That's sweet :)

diegaa
09-03-2007, 12:30 PM
i know a guy who has NO bh, he switches the racquet from right to left to hit only forehands. i was :shock:

MTChong
09-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Not that I am left-handed, but I feel that the topic name should have been "Anyone try to play with the non-dominant arm?"

And to answer, I have. It wasn't pretty.

johlhausen
09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I remember seeing Sharapova lunging for a ball with her left arm during the French open, and blocking it back in play.

xtremerunnerars
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Blake did it too^

golhap27
09-03-2007, 06:50 PM
a kid during my high school season would serve right handed and then hit left handed or vise versa. he was 2nd and state and everybody expected him to win state since he lost to his teammate the year before who had graduated this year, but he ended up losing to a freshman in the state finals. but yeah he served with the opposite hand i believe it was because he broke his wrist though

abenguyen
09-03-2007, 07:30 PM

dude you should play 2 forehands. whenever it goes to your backhand just throw the racquet over and hit a forehand. you'd be so skilled

TheNatural
09-03-2007, 08:01 PM
same here, I use neutral grips and co-ordinate my whole body movement very well to hit lefty groundstrokes- both backhands and forehands. Actually the mechanics of the forehand and backhand seem very simple and natural for me with the left. If i had a ball machine to practice with a few hours a day I think my lefty groundstrokes would be excellent. I cant expect them to be that great yet after only every practing lefties for a few minutes here and there.

I also can't hit lefty serves. Ive never tried it, but I can feel no co-ordination for that motion on the left.

I tried table tennis lefty and im not too bad at it. The forehands are a bit slow and guided, but I can hit the lefty backhands pretty well in table tennis with good power, control and topspin.

Ya Ive played left handed a few times. Im surprisingly decent on my groundstrokes. I have pretty good control but not much power. I tried serving left handed though and I cant really do it to any effectiveness.

And how would you expect to serve playing with 2 racquets?