PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing moments

tennismx
10-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Let's hear your most embarrassing moment from playing tennis that made you go :oops: , or maybe an embarrassing moment that happened to a friend. Haha I have plenty of 'em, but what's yours? We won't laugh at you; we'll laugh with you...

chad shaver
10-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Was playing doubles with some friends once. My partner was serving and I was at net. Guy had been blasting all day. Suddenly, I hear, "CLUNK....uh oh". About that time, the ball hits me from behind right in the twins. I was lying on the ground laughing and trying not to be sick. My partner was afraid to come near me. He went and stood outside the fence while our opponents checked on me.

Several years ago, when I was a HS tennis coach, I was working my players through some passing shot drills. I was at net feeding balls and talking to someone else all at the same time (not smart). Person I was talking to said something funny and I started laughing...went to hit a volley, shanked it, and hit myself in the face with the ball, sending my glasses skidding across the court. None of my players laughed at me.....yeah....right.

Nearly knocked out my doubles partner once, too. We were playing against the HS version of the Scud. He his his serves sooooo hard, but you never knew where they were gonna go. He blasted in a first serve, I hit the return as cleanly as I've ever hit a shot in my life....but late. The ball drilled my partner right in the back of the head...he teetered forward and had to catch himself on the net. When I got to him, his eyes were kinda glazed. He played back the rest of the time while I was returning.

tennismx
10-30-2004, 05:50 PM
lol i've hit my doubles partners a lot too

my embarrassing moment was not very glorious
id like to say i sustained an injury from tennis after diving after a winner or throwing my shoulder out during an overhead but...
no i had to be dumb and hop over the net when it was time to switch sides
no i didnt get hung up and trip. i made it over but i pulled the muscle in my thigh. it hurt sooo bad and we had to hold up play for a few minutes before we could finish
i was so embarrassed but at least the other team was patient
hahaha :lol:

Steve Huff
10-30-2004, 09:30 PM
1st set, playing doubles, I was receiving serve. Server jammed me with a good serve. I turned a little and swung hard. The butt cap of my racket caught the pocket on my shorts. I swung anyway and ripped the front of my shorts, from the pocket to the crouch. Fortunatley, these shorts had a lining.

chad shaver
10-30-2004, 09:34 PM
LOL @ Steve.

Was playing a friend of mine about 2 years ago and actually hit a nice slice serve into his body (the one and only time for about 6 months) on the backhand side. He tried to adjust his bh to the shot, ended up hitting 2 balls instead of one, neither of which made it over the net.

tennismx
10-31-2004, 05:49 AM
whats really embarrassing is when your tennis skirt gets caught on something

Rickson
10-31-2004, 06:04 AM
I was playing doubles with a very arrogant, but equally bad server on my side. This guy served so badly that he hit the back of my head while I was crouched down. I was closer to the service line than the net(15 feet or so from net) and bent over so he should have cleared my head by plenty. I mentioned that he was as arrogant as he is bad at serving; this idiot claimed had I not stood where I did, the ball would have gone over the net and been a good slice serve. The truth is, the ball would not have even reached the net, the ball was on its way to the ground before the net, but his arrogance forced that insane statement out of him. Our 2 opponents were laughing from the other side and I had feelings of anger and embarrassment. The idiot server told me that I shouldn't have been standing there. One of our opponents was the one who came up with the previous statement, "the ball was gonna hit the ground before it hit the net".

galain
10-31-2004, 10:20 PM
About 15 years ago I was on court and playing really well. My opponent was good too, so we had a nice tempo going with our shots. He hits a rather floating slice approach to my backhand that I saw coming a mile away.

I'm going to hit the perfect shot. The most glorious down the line backhand drive that has ever been hit in the history of the game. Poetry will be written about this shot.

I move to the ball, position myself - racquet back nice and early, weight down on the front leg, waist cocked and ready.

The ball comes, bounces, and sits up right in the middle of my hitting zone. I'm already having paroxysms at the magnificence of my soon to be game winning, confidence destroying backhand drive.

Breathe out and let it all go. I swung as hard as I have ever swung a racquet in my life. Turned my waist, kept my head up, stable stance - perfect.

Until I slammed the butt of my racquet into the inside of my right knee.

Have you ever seen those dolls you squeeze and their eyes pop out? It was like a million of them all at the one time. I was too stunned to even pee my pants. I just collapsed gasping like a fish out of water. If I'd only been able to walk I would have won - my opponent would have had to default because he was laughing so hard he couldn't swing his racquet anymore. It took me a good three weeks before I could actually move that knee properly again!

Ace
11-01-2004, 09:22 AM
I was out of town and decided to get some practice at a club in Scotsdale, AZ. I hit with a ball machine for a while, then decided to practice some serves.
Too bad my grip was a little sweaty and the first serve I took, my racquet slipped out off my hands and went flying over the court.
Yeah, I felt pretty stupid. Good thing I was out of town where nobody knew me.

Camilio Pascual
11-01-2004, 10:57 AM
It was the early 60's and tennis shorts were a lot shorter than now. I was about 13 and my girl friend arrived so we could play doubles. Well, sneaky Pete saluted her and almost climbed all the way out of my shorts and underwear. It took me about 5 minutes to walk it off.

galain
11-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Camilio you sex object, you.

@wright
11-02-2004, 08:57 AM
LMAO Camilio. Chad's story was good too. I haven't been really embarassed before (except the occasional bagel). I did hit a friend of mine in the nads with one of the most solid backhand volleys I've ever hit. He had to go sit down, and I just felt really bad. A friend of mine was thrashing his racquet last week and waited til after the match to nonchalantly mention about how he had cracked his frame. I would have been embarassed.