PDA

View Full Version : Rush, in Concert

Jon Rudy
09-03-2007, 03:46 PM
I just saw Rush last night in Columbus for their Snakes and Arrows tour, and it was downright amazing. Geddy Lee's vocals were spot on, and the music itself was super crisp. I nearly started crying when they busted out with "Subdivisions."

I'd say it was one of the top shows I've seen, and right up there with Sigur Ros and A Perfect Circle.

Anybody else see them on tour this year?

LuckyR
09-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I just saw Rush last night in Columbus for their Snakes and Arrows tour, and it was downright amazing. Geddy Lee's vocals were spot on, and the music itself was super crisp. I nearly started crying when they busted out with "Subdivisions."

I'd say it was one of the top shows I've seen, and right up there with Sigur Ros and A Perfect Circle.

Not this year, but I did see them in high school, in 1979!!

edmondsm
09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Never been a big fan. Limelight is an ok song. Best concert ever: Iron Maiden, Brave New World tour.

Jon Rudy
09-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Not this year, but I did see them in high school, in 1979!!

Ha, I wasn't born then, but the way they bounced around on stage, it's hard to believe they're that old.

hjminard
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I saw them on the Moving Pictures tour in 1981 or 1982. One of the best concerts I've ever seen ... amazing that 3 guys can put out that much sound.

Neil Peart was (still is?) an incredible drummer.

jm4121
09-05-2007, 10:25 PM

I saw them last month in Salt Lake City and it was incredible. This was my fourth Rush show (1989, 1991. 1997, 2007) and this was by far the best show, even better than all the others combined in my opinion. The OP is right, the vocals and music is very clean and sharp, and the band seems like they are really enjoying the live shows. See them while you can...

Serve em Up
09-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Great band. Been a fan since the seventies. Glad you enjoyed the show. Peart and Lifeson are great on their respective instruments. Did Peart do one of his trademark 15 min drum solos?

LuckyR
09-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Ha, I wasn't born then, but the way they bounced around on stage, it's hard to believe they're that old.

Keep Rush in mind when you play someone in our generation in tennis...

drakulie
09-06-2007, 03:23 PM
I saw them in the late 80's. front row! I was so close I could see inside of Geddy's nose. LOL

Seriously though, they were amazing in concert. Their sound was very crisp, and light show was second to none.

TripleB
09-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I saw them in the early 80s on the "Signals" tour....can't afford to go to see them any longer....just wait for the DVD and crank the stereo system up LOUD!!!

TripleB

Cruzer
09-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Considering they have been around for well over 30 years they have stayed together without the turmoil that seems to erupt in almost all bands. No in-fighting, no turnover in the band, no history of drugs and alcohol. The only scandlous item connected with the band was the trouble Alex Lifeson's son got into a few years ago.
I was never a huge fan but growing up in TO they always got a coverage and thanks in part to the laws regarding Canadian content on the airwaves lots of radio airplay (they got a lot of radio airplay also because they are a very good band).

Mike Cottrill
09-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Could Geddy hit the high notes? He seemed to struggle or not go high for those in 80's or maybe he just was having problems during those years.
I was so close the times I saw them, I could not see Neilís drum kit. Someoneís nose kept blocking it.

Jon Rudy
09-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Yeah, Geddy hit the high notes, which was shocking in itself since he apparently hasn't been doing it for quite some time now. I don't know what changed, but with the band playing so closely to what it sounds like on the CDs, it's nice to have the vocals that match as well.

Also, Peart did a super-long drum solo, and Lifeson had a nice little acoustic guitar solo.

LuckyR, I reached that conclusion many years ago. Took me enough matches.

drakulie
09-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Could Geddy hit the high notes? He seemed to struggle or not go high for those in 80's or maybe he just was having problems during those years.
I was so close the times I saw them, I could not see Neilís drum kit. Someoneís nose kept blocking it.

Sounds familiar!

Mike Cottrill
09-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Sounds familiar!

Except I was trying to see the drum kit not the buggers in Geddy's nose:mrgreen:

drakulie
09-07-2007, 06:32 PM
^^^ LOL> We kept joking about the same thing when I saw them in concert from the first row.

YYZ by Peart was amazing!

Mike Cottrill
09-07-2007, 07:30 PM
^^^ LOL> We kept joking about the same thing when I saw them in concert from the first row.

YYZ by Peart was amazing!

Yes it was. We were trying to figure out when the others new when to come in. Timing is very difficult. Our drummer said he tapped his hi-hat and other said they did not hear the hi-hat and they looked at Neal. Alex looks down at his peddles. I donít know except some of those entry points are not 4/4 or anything close.. Their timing is incredible. Sounds like they are using sequencers these days to make it easier. 2112 too.. Oh, how many years ago. Dang, I might have to dust off the Les Paul Custom and bang a few.