PDA

View Full Version : topspin volleys

raiden031
09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
What do you better players think of swinging topspin volleys and when is the best time to use them?

Rickson
09-03-2007, 04:46 PM
What do you better players think of swinging topspin volleys and when is the best time to use them?

Topspin volleys? I love going to the net and I have never intentionally hit a topspin volley in my life. I think out of all the times I've been to net, I must have had a few and I emphasize few, TS volleys, but they were purely mishits. I wouldn't bother learning a topspin volley because volleys were meant to be punched, not looped. Most of my volleys are flat or have some backspin, but never topspin unless I mishit as I stated before.

lakis92
09-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Is there such thing as topspin volleys?

Rickson
09-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Is there such thing as topspin volleys?You can if you volley from midcourt with a swinging low to high volley, but that kind of takes the point away from plucking the ball out of the air. You take it from the air to take away time from your opponent, but a swinging TS volley would give your opponent more time to recover than a standard punch volley.

Noveson
09-03-2007, 05:07 PM
You can if you volley from midcourt with a swinging low to high volley, but that kind of takes the point away from plucking the ball out of the air. You take it from the air to take away time from your opponent, but a swinging TS volley would give your opponent more time to recover than a standard punch volley.

How do you figure they give them more time to recover? The time when topspin volleys are useful is when you get a floating type of ball when you are still moving in(midcourt). Because you are not as close to the net you need the topspin to make it a safer shot, and to create angles and power. I never use them unless I'm in the process of moving in, and I get a ball that is short and floating. Once I get to position at the net I never use them, since there's no need for topspin.

raiden031
09-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I've noticed the pros, mostly the women doing these alot. I'm just trying to figure out if its due to their lack of a solid net game or whether there's an advantage to hitting some on the fly shots with swinging topspin strokes.

dave333
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Do you mean swing volleys? Those are pretty effective and can take a lot of time away from the other guy.

If you mean using a continental and hitting topspin, well, thats plain stupid.

Rickson
09-03-2007, 05:10 PM
How do you figure they give them more time to recover? The time when topspin volleys are useful is when you get a floating type of ball when you are still moving in(midcourt). Because you are not as close to the net you need the topspin to make it a safer shot, and to create angles and power. I never use them unless I'm in the process of moving in, and I get a ball that is short and floating. Once I get to position at the net I never use them, since there's no need for topspin.First of all, I'm not a big fan of swinging volleys, but in the rare instances I use them, I prefer to flatten out the balls which come in much faster than loopy topspin swinging volleys.

bobbyb
09-03-2007, 05:11 PM
umm if ur hitting a solid swinging volley it takes time away from your opponent and is harder to return if it is returned....watch sharapova and when she hits a swinging volley the point is over it is very effective if your opponent is just lobbing ur strong shots back deep and not letting u finish at net or giving u a short ball...also is good for anticipating a weaker ball after a good shot from the baseline

Undrayon
09-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Seriously guys, remember there is a BIG difference between a swinging volley and a "topspin volley". If you have enough time to lower the racquet and bring it up the ball, why wouldn't you use a groundstroke?

Gmedlo
09-03-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't think what you guys are talking about is, by definition, a topspin "volley". What you're thinking of is simply taking the ball out of the air with regular groundstroke form. A true topspin volley looks absolutely ridiculous, like you are trying to make the ball go faster by raising your racquet up at the second of contact. If you're having trouble envisioning that, think of it as try to hit topspin with your racquet handle perpendicular to the ground. It's most often seen in people that 'punch' at the ball with a SW forehand grip at the net.

The "topspin volley" as you call it is only effective if you can pull it off, which, unless it's a very slow sitter, is very hard to do consistently.

I could be wrong though...

WildVolley
09-03-2007, 07:39 PM
The topspin volley is usually a swinging volley on a floater. If you don't go nuts, it can be a high percentage put away shot, much like an overhead. But you should practice it. Sharapova seems to run back and hit it instead of an overhead, not something I'd recommend.

Sometimes you can put a little topspin on a flicking angle volley, but it usually doesn't generate a lot of spin.

Noveson
09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
First of all, I'm not a big fan of swinging volleys, but in the rare instances I use them, I prefer to flatten out the balls which come in much faster than loopy topspin swinging volleys.

Uh that's nice? Anyway I never said anything about loopy, I hit massive angles when I get a high floater like that.

Noveson
09-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Seriously guys, remember there is a BIG difference between a swinging volley and a "topspin volley". If you have enough time to lower the racquet and bring it up the ball, why wouldn't you use a groundstroke?

Nobody hits topspin vollies, so why would we talk about them? Use some brain space here and realize he must have meant swinging vollys. Oh and why would you let the ball get low and give the opponent that much more time by letting it bounce?

Undrayon
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Nobody hits topspin volleys? Gosh, I'm sorry. It looks like he said topspin volleys and it looks like I said "topspin volleys". Hm, why quotation marks...probably because the shot does not exist.

I have no idea why you would let the ball get low, I never said that. You're just so eager to bash me you probably figured it would give you more to tell me off for. When we are talking about volleys and being at net, use some brain space and realize I must have meant to use a groundstroke to take it out of the air.

Wait...swinging through the shot sounds like something you just told me I was stupid for not realizing...

(I don't like to be rude, but you totally misread my post. If I'm not getting my point across, then tell me and I'll work harder to reword it. You had no reason to just be a jerk about it when I'm trying to help)

Undrayon
09-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Some people are very new to tennis. They perhaps think that since topspin is good for groundstrokes it could also be good for volleys. That's awesome if you think that's just stupid and I'm glad you were born with super tennis skills, but I know alot of people that weren't and might read the term topspin volley as just that...putting topspin on a volley.

samprasbackhand
09-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I remember sometimes Sampras had to hit low volleys, and from the motion he hit them with it seemed like they could have topspin on them, not sure though

Rickson
09-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I remember sometimes Sampras had to hit low volleys, and from the motion he hit them with it seemed like they could have topspin on them, not sure though

Low volleys are almost always sliced.

samprasbackhand
09-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Low volleys are almost always sliced.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qPapBO_mqNg

Look at:
0:01
0:48
2:41
5:46

I don't know, but it seems like he has a little upwards wrist flick when he makes contact, which may add some topspin

Rickson
09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qPapBO_mqNg

Look at:
0:01
0:48
2:41
5:46

I don't know, but it seems like he has a little upwards wrist flick when he makes contact, which may add some topspinI don't know about the others because of the camera angles, but that last one definitely appeared to be a backspin volley.

paulfreda
09-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Patrick Rafter would hit a topspin volley on a low forehand.
He'd drop the head and then just lift up and forward on the ball.
Much easier and more natural than slicing a low FH volley.

Also, Marion Bartoli hits topspin volleys on most balls on both sides.
Very strange to see.

stirallyracer
09-09-2007, 01:47 AM
when i play, if i get a low and short ball that i have to half volley on my forehand side, i usually "topspin" it. it's not topspin, really. i've seen sampras and rafter do it quite often.

i just drop my racket head right above the ground to get ready for the half volley, and i "guide" the ball up and over the net. really slow racket speed (not even a swing), i just lift it over the net and finish up.

on my backhand side, though, i usually slice, since it's more natural.

x Southpaw x
09-09-2007, 07:15 AM
I thought topspin was more natural for low forehand volleys too.

Topspin swing volleys are awesome when hitting floaters in no man's land on the forehand side.