PDA

View Full Version : Resumes

meowmix
09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Okay, this is completely off topic and probably doesn't belong in a forum for tennis players, but I DESPERATELY need some advice...

I'm 14 yrs old and planning to apply to some elite academically based summer camps (summer 2008). Problem is, they're REALLY hard to get into (acceptance rate is near 10% :( ) They require a ton of stuff: resume, essays, teacher recommendations, etc. I'm having a ton of problem figuring out what to put on my resume. Only stuff that's been done in high school is allowed on the resume, and I've only finished freshman year! In addition, I'm competing against other sophmores and juniors in my state for these positions.

Please post any ideas... Plz.

Topaz
09-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Well, for jobs, the unspoken rule is to keep your resume to one page. That page can be front and back, but usually prospective employers have many people applying for one position, and won't read a multi-page resume.

Try to divide your experience into categories...tournaments, singles, doubles, stuff like that. If you have things scheduled but haven't played them yet, put those in a separate category. Include dates. Put as much in there as you can while keeping it one page.

Those are my thoughts...anyone else?

junbumkim
09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
you can probably google some nice resumes.
But you have only completed the 1st year of high school and they want experiences from high school only, you won't have whole a lot to fill out.

You could catagorize your resume into classes, extracurricular activities, sports etc.

If you were a class president, you could list what your duties were and what you have accompllished and acquired from that classes (eg organizational skills, analytical skills, communication skills).

It will be a tough feat to complete against other juniors and seniors. It will be worthy of trying.

AlexP
09-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes, definatly worth your time just for the experience of handling that sort of paperwork. Put down your goals, reasons for going to the camp. A resume that is made in a good relaxed (but in control) fashion is great for anything

koopa_troopa
09-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I think you should try to put why you need to go as a freshman now. I have a feeling they are more willing to take older students than freshmen, seeing that freshmen will have more opportunities to apply in later years. So try to emphasize in your objective why someone as young as you should enter.