PDA

View Full Version : Federer paid $800 for a haircut, What do you exactly get for $800 haircut ?

Fedace
09-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Heard on the Radio that Roger paid a NY based Ultra fashion Hairstylist $800 for a haircut. Roger must be getting ready for that " I just won the US open Smile" ? What do you get for $800 haircut ? and Do you have to tip the stylist after you dish out 800 clams.??:confused:

JCo872
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Heard on the Radio that Roger paid a NY based Ultra fashion Hairstylist $800 for a haircut. Roger must be getting ready for that " I just won the US open Smile" ? What do you get for $800 haircut ? and Do you have to tip the stylist after you dish out 800 clams.??:confused:

Wow! Wonder if Mikra gets the same treatment?

SFrazeur
09-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Not including tip, I can get 66 haircuts for $792. I only get haircuts every 6-8 weeks.

-SF

Fedace
09-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Wow! Wonder if Mikra gets the same treatment?

I think Mirka's haircut cost twice as much, she has fatter head. I thought Fed's hair looked different tonight.;)

Rickson
09-03-2007, 09:23 PM

800 bucks for Federer is chump change. I happen to know a hair stylist to the stars and she charges outrageous prices for haircuts which are no better than $20 haircuts. Celebrities pay big because they earn big and no, Roger needn't tip the ripoff stylist, I mean hair stylist.

Fedace
09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
800 bucks for Federer is chump change. I happen to know a hair stylist to the stars and she charges outrageous prices for haircuts which are no better than $20 haircuts. Celebrities pay big because they earn big and no, Roger needn't tip the ripoff stylist, I mean hair stylist.

No better than $20 cut ? roger needs to refer Djkovic to that stylist. He needs to do something about that cheeapet head. ;)

Defcon
09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
The same thing you get for a $200 hamburger - a bigger bill.

KFwinds
09-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Not that I would know, but I imagine that you are paying for the expertise and/or reputation of the stylist - not the haircut itself.

angharad
09-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Not that I would know, but I imagine that you are paying for the expertise and/or reputation of the stylist - not the haircut itself.

In addition to that, they're probably using extremely high-end hair products, things like caviar and truffles (both of which are supposed to be incredible for your hair and skin). I know there's a $200 manicure out there in which the fingers are soaked in Cristal instead of a regular manicure solution.

LafayetteHitter
09-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't get 800 dollar haircuts but I use the Alterna Caviar shampoo and conditioner and must say it is awesome. I've also used Truffles by Alterna as well. Quite expensive but an awesome product and people mention how my hair looks great.

ShooterMcMarco
09-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I wonder if thats the same stylist John Edwards had for his 800 dollar haircut

Fedace
09-03-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't get 800 dollar haircuts but I use the Alterna Caviar shampoo and conditioner and must say it is awesome. I've also used Truffles by Alterna as well. Quite expensive but an awesome product and people mention how my hair looks great.

Hey can you tell me where i can buy this great Caviar and truffles ?? like which hair product shop ? link? Only kind of Caviar and truffles i buy are at the expensive groceries, and i usually eat them by that night.;)

shutupova
09-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Not including tip, I can get 66 haircuts for $792. I only get haircuts every 6-8 weeks.

-SF

you are my kind of guy lol :)

anyway when you make millions a year and own your own airplane.. sky is the limit

tennis_hand
09-03-2007, 11:24 PM
just the same as people buying diamonds, people buying Ferraris, people listening to opera, etc. Nothing wrong, but you don't need these to live your life.

35ft6
09-03-2007, 11:32 PM
My sister is a hair stylist, and some haircuts can be incredibly complex. You go to Fantastic Sams and they just section your hair and snip away. Some of the top stylists won't even section, they improvise all around your head, using very subtle cuts, not blunt straight across cuts, to make your hair lay perfectly, etc, and... I don't have the hair vocabulary to get this completely across, but to say a hair cut from Frederick Fekkai or Oribe is exactly like getting a hair cut from a woman at Supercuts is ridiculous. But it's understandable that most people won't understand, or perhaps "acknowledge" the artistry and "value" of high end luxury purses, or shoes, or a well tailored suit, or a precision hand crafted watch, or maybe they think a child can paint something exactly like a Pollock or a Picasso. So be it. But most of these people, if they won the lottery, and started getting a taste of every day objects executed to a level where they become functional works of art, they'd start appreciating these "over priced" stuff more.

Rickson
09-03-2007, 11:36 PM

-SF

I knew it! You're Kelsey Grammer!

http://www.facade.com/celebrity/photo/Kelsey_Grammer.jpg

Fee
09-03-2007, 11:45 PM
I pay $50 for someone to cut my mad mop and I can definitely tell the difference from the $20 cuts I used to get. It is all about the layering. My husband can get away with a $15 barber shop job because his cut is plain and simple. Not sure what $800 gets you, but I'm sure Roger appreciated it.

By the way, soaking your fingernails in alcohol just dries them out and weakens them. Cristal should only be used for drinking. I'm also very skeptical about caviar and truffle shampoo, but its your money. To each his own. :)

caulcano
09-04-2007, 12:40 AM

you get a topless dance thrown in for free.

Deuce
09-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Just think of all the better ways that that $800 could have been spent; the people it could have helped.

origmarm
09-04-2007, 01:33 AM
For $800 I think they cut each strand individually

dubsplayer
09-04-2007, 05:03 AM
It's what the very top stylists get in NYC. I don't even go to a top salon and a cut and color is $400.

OrangeOne
09-04-2007, 05:12 AM
I went to a 'regular' hairdresser when I lived in London, she said she'd worked for Toni & Guy (a high-priced salon) in the past.

When working there, they were instructed to deliberately pause and examine the hair from a distance numerous times in a cut, and other methods like that, just so the customer perceived they were getting a 'better' haircut....

West Coast Ace
09-04-2007, 05:27 AM
OP obviously hasn't been to NYC...

Do we really care how the ultra-rich spends their cash? He made it honestly - can blow it however he wishes.

tennis_hand
09-04-2007, 05:39 AM
I went to a 'regular' hairdresser when I lived in London, she said she'd worked for Toni & Guy (a high-priced salon) in the past.

When working there, they were instructed to deliberately pause and examine the hair from a distance numerous times in a cut, and other methods like that, just so the customer perceived they were getting a 'better' haircut....

good point.

stormholloway
09-04-2007, 06:18 AM
If you have to ask what you get for an $800 haircut, you're too young to ask.

Fedace
09-04-2007, 06:38 AM
If you have to ask what you get for an $800 haircut, you're too young to ask.

You mean there are some other extra benefits to ultra expensive haircuts ? I sure hope so cause hair grows back fast and after 1 week, you would have just blown $800:grin:

Fedace
09-04-2007, 06:46 AM
My hairstylist charge $23, and i tip her $20, is this too much ?

stormholloway
09-04-2007, 06:48 AM
you would have just blown $800:grin:

Interesting turn of phrase. You said it. I didn't.

Golden Retriever
09-04-2007, 06:55 AM
How much does Agassi pay for his haircut?

Mick
09-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Federer is a very wealthy person, $800 to him is less than $20 is for the average person. I don't think he thinks about it even.

PimpMyGame
09-04-2007, 07:16 AM
If I had Federer's money I wouldn't go to a cut-price hairdressers. $800 is a snip - I'd blow a lot more than that.

SFrazeur
09-04-2007, 07:20 AM
My hairstylist charge $23, and i tip her $20, is this too much ?

You tip her $20 bucks? How often do you get a hair cut? I think the problem stems from the fact you call the lady that cuts your hair a hairstylist.
Do you know what I call the lady that cuts my hair? I call her the lady that cuts my hair. I've been going to her for over ten years, and I'm 22.

-SF

PimpMyGame
09-04-2007, 07:28 AM
You tip her $20 bucks? How often do you get a hair cut? I think the problem stems from the fact you call the lady that cuts your hair a hairstylist.
Do you know what I call the lady that cuts my hair? I call her the lady that cuts my hair. I've been going to her for over ten years, and I'm 22.

-SF

It's not a problem if you're getting what you perceive to be value for money. SF I'm sure you are as happy with your deal as Fedace is with his. I pay the equivalent of 50 bucks including tip and if I wasn't happy I'd go somewhere else, although I probably wouldn't get the usual banter and offer of a nice, cold beer when I walk into the salon.

Fedace
09-04-2007, 07:29 AM

-SF

I tip her $20 just cause she spends extra 15 minutes to make sure my hair is perfect, cause i am so picky and keep telling her to fix it. and I feel bad afterwards.:grin:

Fedace
09-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Interesting turn of phrase. You said it. I didn't.

If you ask for extra services in ultra high fashion salon, do you usually get it then ? Women hairstylists usually love the feel of my hair, they say it is rough and manly.;)

WildVolley
09-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like his hairstyle? I think he should try something different, but, then, he keeps winning and might be superstitious.

PimpMyGame
09-04-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't like his hairstyle either, but there's something about tennis pros' hair that means the sport will never be able to shake off the dodgy hair persona.

SiLvErX
09-04-2007, 07:54 AM
just the same as people buying diamonds, people buying Ferraris, people listening to opera, etc. Nothing wrong, but you don't need these to live your life.

Diamonds...hmm... opera...not in this categorie ...

but Ferrari can bring you so many things a haircut cant .... so if you have a 20$ haircut , and a 800$ .. do you think that people are noticing same difference if you are driving an old vauxall and Ferrari ... NO man .. Ferrari is something else..except of pleasure of driving it..it can bring you enormous number of women.. and a lot of self confidence ..

A little math now.. i pay my haircut here ... around 4$ ...(thats the price here).. so ..for 800$ I can get 200 haircuts even a little more cause it is little less then 4$.. so if i cut my hair once on every 4 weeks ...so I can have my hair done for approximately next 15 years with that money.. :D

origmarm
09-04-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't like his hairstyle either, but there's something about tennis pros' hair that means the sport will never be able to shake off the dodgy hair persona.

Nice :) (10)

coloskier
09-04-2007, 08:36 AM
He was probably just trying to outduel John Edwards for the 'Most foolish price paid for a haircut".

LES
09-04-2007, 08:45 AM
If the hairstylist is the 'Federer' of the hair styling world you bet it'd cost at least $800.

Things cost what people are willing to pay. Simple supply & demand.

ktownva
09-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure what type of haircut $800 buys in NY, but I spend $40 at my stylist, and this is what it is like:

First, he/she will spend 5-10 minutes finding out what type of cut you want, how often you cut, how you part, style, ect. Then they wash and condition the hair. The conditioner is the leave-in type, so you just relax with the stuff in your hair for about 10 minutes. It smells minty and it tingles the scalp. They also put a hot towel over your face while you wait, I guess just to open the pores and make you feel pampered. Then they rinse the conditioner out, and wash again with some different shampoo.

The haircut itself is not done with scissors, but with a straight razor, dozens of little snips at a time. They grab pieces of hair and twist it, then shave bits off with the razor. They say that this method gives more texture. The whole process is meticulous and takes about 30 minutes. They spend a lot of time touching up and making sure everything is even.

Then it's back to the sink to rinse the hair out again. Then it's a blowdry and about 5 or 10 minutes spent styling with gel or wax. The result is a very good haircut, and a nice experience with a pro. Definitely worth the $40 + $15 tip.

tennis_hand
09-04-2007, 09:06 AM
he can charge for $10, he can also charge you for $1000, for exactly the same haircut. He said the former is a pig cut and the latter is an art. ;)

so which one are you gonna take? lol...

RMB
09-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Somehow this remember me the "debate" between B. Clinton ($400 or $500 for a haircut: I'm not sure the amount) and Ross Perot ($7).

Ossric
09-04-2007, 09:13 AM
No better than $20 cut ? roger needs to refer Djkovic to that stylist. He needs to do something about that cheeapet head. ;)

It's too short atm. He needs to let it grow out before he can do anything.

Personally I think he should try a mohawk ala Chuck Lidell of the UFC.

PimpMyGame
09-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure what type of haircut $800 buys in NY, but I spend $40 at my stylist, and this is what it is like:

First, he/she will spend 5-10 minutes finding out what type of cut you want, how often you cut, how you part, style, ect. Then they wash and condition the hair. The conditioner is the leave-in type, so you just relax with the stuff in your hair for about 10 minutes. It smells minty and it tingles the scalp. They also put a hot towel over your face while you wait, I guess just to open the pores and make you feel pampered. Then they rinse the conditioner out, and wash again with some different shampoo.

The haircut itself is not done with scissors, but with a straight razor, dozens of little snips at a time. They grab pieces of hair and twist it, then shave bits off with the razor. They say that this method gives more texture. The whole process is meticulous and takes about 30 minutes. They spend a lot of time touching up and making sure everything is even.

Then it's back to the sink to rinse the hair out again. Then it's a blowdry and about 5 or 10 minutes spent styling with gel or wax. The result is a very good haircut, and a nice experience with a pro. Definitely worth the $40 + $15 tip.

Holy cats, that's some haircut! On reflection I still prefer my cold bottle of beer and round-up of the guys' latest sexual antics lol. Oh yeah and they do shampoo and condition for 25 in case you were wondering.

SiLvErX
09-04-2007, 09:26 AM
hah they do shampoo and condition here also ... for 3 euro ... and it is not some crapy shampoo... :D

nadalswedgie
09-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Federer is just a little too into fashion, if you know what I mean...

skip1969
09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
all this talk of haircuts and stylists and whatnot . . . makes me appreciate the simplicity of my 'look' . . . a la blake . . . (but without the cheesy headband). hehe

BlackgirlX
09-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Roger Federer has made over $30 million just from his tennis prize money that doesn't even include the millions he makes from endorsements. $800 dollars is small change for Federer and I like the hair cut. Roger definitely brings glamour to men's tennis. Roger has a shrewd sense of fashion he knows its important to dress well on the court. Federer is the ultimate metrosexual.

Fearsome Forehand
09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I think the $800 haircut included the Deluxe Jumbo Frills Package:

A) Oral arguments from the really hot shampoo girl.
B) Another Stylist to distract Mirka while "A" is happening
C) A Bucket of Chicken
D) Curly Fries and A Supersize Coke.
E) A Free Weekend Getaway to whatever middle-of-nowhere development Erik Estada is currently selling on TV.
F) A manicure and pedicure with clear coat.
G) Mono-brow Waxing
H) A Fruit Cake
I) A Chia Pet
J) A Set of Gensu Knives
I) A Repeat of "A" and with a Complimentary Rinse.

At least Fed didn't shut down LAX for hours to get a very overpriced hair cut.

fastdunn
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, I've seen, in Silicon Valley, at a shop, $200 very small bottle of
vineager, $80 slice of a ham...

Hot Sauce
09-04-2007, 11:33 AM
His hair is nice though.

Fearsome Forehand
09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Fast, you forgot to mention the million dollar + , 900 sq foot, 40 year old fixer upper house with no property in a marginal neighborhood.

Polaris
09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
What do you get for $800 haircut?
You get some sense driven in your head along with the shampoo and the gel. During the massage, you finally realize that Sam Warburg cannot hang with Roger, or that Matt Bruch is not the GOAT. You realize with a heavy heart that Stanford does not have a monopoly on college tennis. You realize that you don't tip $20 on a $23 haircut.

You can get a lot by having a $800 haircut. Try it some time. :)

Fedace
09-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Fast, you forgot to mention the million dollar + , 900 sq foot, 40 year old fixer upper house with no property in a marginal neighborhood.

Yes but the house is permanent and lasts, but a haircut, it will just look messy agaiin in 2 weeks, unless they put on one of those gels that make your hair stop growing for 2-3 month ?? and keep that look for that long, i say that would be worth it.;)

alwaysatnet
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
What I get from Federer's $800.00 haircut is an appreciation of how absurd
the very notion of an $800.00 haircut is.
The idea of money itself is meaningless when you've reached Fed's level of attainment. What? A $300.00 haircut wasn't good enough? A $500.00 haircut is too plebian and common? Were the scissors solid gold?
Was his barber's chair encrusted in jewels and exotic animal furs? Was his stylist a former Miss Universe contestant?

I'm no communist and Fed's money is Fed's money, so he can shred his money and serve it up as salad if he wishes, but an $800.00 haircut is such an ostentatious and vulgar display of wealth it would be more appropriate in imperial Rome than modern day America.
There truly are two Americas: The ultra decadent rich and everyone else.

peter
09-04-2007, 12:28 PM
so which one are you gonna take? lol...

I'll take my electrical hair trimmer, configure it for 6mm, and go crazy!

(I do that every other month or so).

Much easier. And infinitely cheaper. And I don't really care either :-)

Defcon
09-04-2007, 01:22 PM
There are people like us, there are rich people, and then there are the wealthy. Wealthy means you almost never have to ask how much something costs - 'if you have to ask you can't afford it'. A lot of rich people became rich through hard work and frugal habits and continue to have some sense of the value of things, so they are less likely to splurge on extravagances with no real substance.

I once had a pretty serious discussion with a friend about how much money we would need to truly 'live the good life', and after a lot of variables were explored, we arrived at the conclusion that anything less than $10 million was simply not enough! You need to have enough money that you can afford to blow good chunks of it, yet have enough left over for sound investement to generate more wealth.

Fearsome Forehand
09-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I wonder how much Blake spends on a hair cut.

Probably about as much as his brother spends on shampoo.

Fedace
09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I wonder how much Blake spends on a hair cut.

Probably about as much as his brother spends on shampoo. ;o)

He has to pay for Noxema shaving cream, $4.59, and Razor $2.49, after shave, $9.59. And Labor free, he does it himself.;)

Bhagi Katbamna
09-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, Blake has to do it himself because he's spending all of his money on his girlfriend.

Fedace
09-04-2007, 02:27 PM
His hair is nice though.

That is true, but what i want to know is how much does these hair stylists make ? You charge $800 but what is your cut on the money ?? and how long do you exactly spend cutting the hair ?? 1 hour or 2 hours.??:confused:

35ft6
09-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Federer is a very wealthy person, $800 to him is less than $20 is for the average person. I don't think he thinks about it even.If we just said the average person made about $1000 a week net, then $800 to Federer (made about 31,343,885 million last year, according to SI, so about 602,767 a week) is what $1.32 is to said average person.I once had a pretty serious discussion with a friend about how much money we would need to truly 'live the good life', and after a lot of variables were explored, we arrived at the conclusion that anything less than $10 million was simply not enough! You need to have enough money that you can afford to blow good chunks of it, yet have enough left over for sound investement to generate more wealth. That's about the figure I have in mind, too. Although just getting rid of student loan debt would make me happy. But with $10,000,000, I could actually consider not "working" while still giving my family a decent almost-upper middle class life style even if I lived in LA, San Fran, or NYC. But I might actually worry about my investments a bit more than I'd like.

Man, I'd just be happy to not have near-six figure student loans.

35ft6
09-04-2007, 02:44 PM
That is true, but what i want to know is how much does these hair stylists make ? You charge $800 but what is your cut on the money ?? and how long do you exactly spend cutting the hair ?? 1 hour or 2 hours.??:confused: You also get treated much differently than they would treat you at Fantastic Sam's. At a place like that, you're completely immersed in luxury and relaxation. You're not in a dirty stank hole with a top 40 station blaring. People attend to you, it's quiet, private, clean, comfy, and you're offered refreshments, etc. It's also the service.

I can't quite afford spending $300 on a meal, but from what I hear, it's quite an experience. You're not just spending that money on a piece of meat, you're paying for food that's been raised to the level of art, sophisticated flavors you will never taste elsewhere, and courteous, precision service. You're paying for the whole experience.

DashaandSafin
09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Ive always wondered this...how much do you guys tip your barbers?

Fedace
09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Ive always wondered this...how much do you guys tip your barbers?

I tip mine $20 just cause i am a nice guy and i know my barber is poor woman.

Deuce
09-04-2007, 10:40 PM
What I get from Federer's $800.00 haircut is an appreciation of how absurd
the very notion of an $800.00 haircut is.
The idea of money itself is meaningless when you've reached Fed's level of attainment. What? A $300.00 haircut wasn't good enough? A $500.00 haircut is too plebian and common? Were the scissors solid gold?
Was his barber's chair encrusted in jewels and exotic animal furs? Was his stylist a former Miss Universe contestant?

I'm no communist and Fed's money is Fed's money, so he can shred his money and serve it up as salad if he wishes, but an $800.00 haircut is such an ostentatious and vulgar display of wealth it would be more appropriate in imperial Rome than modern day America.
There truly are two Americas: The ultra decadent rich and everyone else.
^^ I agree. ^^

Do we really care how the ultra-rich spends their cash? He made it honestly - can blow it however he wishes.
Yeah, I care how people spend their money. Because I want to know how selfish people are. Because together, we all combine to make up the culture in which I live.
Federer makes $800 for wearing a pair of shoes for 1 minute. Is that money made "honestly" compared to what the rest of us have to do to earn $800? No.
He may earn that money legally - but as far as I'm concerned, it is not earned honestly. If it were honest, we'd all have similar opportunities.

Arrogance, status, obnoxiousness, and ostentatiousness are growing by leaps and bounds today... to overwhelming degrees.
In the pro tennis world alone, we've got racquets and shoes made with real gold; dresses and braziers with diamonds in them... this arrogant showing off and outright materialism is out of control.
It serves only to continue widening the gap between rich and poor at an alarming rate.
And the majority respond by saying "Who cares how the ultra-rich spend their money?". This utter indifference demonstrates an inate ignorance, as the reality is that this kind of stuff (gold racquets and shoes, diamonds in clothing, etc.) has a profound effect on the very cultures and societies in which we live.
And the effect is far from positive.

Jon Rudy
09-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Stop watching tennis.

Deuce
09-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Stop watching tennis.
That's the problem - watching tennis matches on TV is becoming more and more like watching an episode of that sickening show 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous'.

There seems to be no limit to ostentatiousness. People want to be 'more famous' and 'more rich' than they were yesterday.
It's nauseating.
It's also extremely bad for our culture, whether people realize it or not.

LES
09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
^^ I agree. ^^

Yeah, I care how people spend their money. Because I want to know how selfish people are. Because together, we all combine to make up the culture in which I live.
Federer makes $800 for wearing a pair of shoes for 1 minute. Is that money made "honestly" compared to what the rest of us have to do to earn $800? No.
He may earn that money legally - but as far as I'm concerned, it is not earned honestly. If it were honest, we'd all have similar opportunities.

Arrogance, status, obnoxiousness, and ostentatiousness are growing by leaps and bounds today... to overwhelming degrees.
In the pro tennis world alone, we've got racquets and shoes made with real gold; dresses and braziers with diamonds in them... this arrogant showing off and outright materialism is out of control.
It serves only to continue widening the gap between rich and poor at an alarming rate.
And the majority respond by saying "Who cares how the ultra-rich spend their money?". This utter indifference demonstrates an inate ignorance, as the reality is that this kind of stuff (gold racquets and shoes, diamonds in clothing, etc.) has a profound effect on the very cultures and societies in which we live.

Oh please spare us from your soapboxing. You are incredibly naiive. He is not paid to 'wear' the shoes, he is paid to 'endorse' the shoes. And his endorsement will, in turn, enable Nike to sell hundreds of thousands of pairs. Thus allowing Nike to maintain a healthy business and employ workers, hire sub-contractors, pay taxes, etc.

Federer is not selfish. He has a foundation which raises money for underprivileged kids. If the guy wants to pamper himself with an $800 haircut paid by his own money then who are you to criticize?

The only reason reason you b*tch about 'the rich' is because you are poor.

BTW, I'd like some proof of any pros using 'racquets and shoes made with real gold; dresses and braziers with diamonds in them'.

stormholloway
09-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Well, his wearing shoes does make Nike a lot of money, so it's no different than a commercial actor selling soda on TV in that sense.

I strongly agree here. There is more at stake here than Federer's reputation as a reasonable spender. There is truly a larger cultural impact of this sort of pomposity.

But what do you expect from a who guy chooses Dubai as his second home? Can't he just live in Monaco like everyone else?

scotus
09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, Safin complains about $20 fish and chips at Wimbledon....

stormholloway
09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
And that's why everybody loves him.

Lakoste
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
After paying $800 for a haircut, one would think Roger has no money left over...but yet he still has enough to donate more than all of us combined.

stormholloway
09-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Of course he donates. Can you imagine how hated he would be if he had $800 haircuts and donated nothing to charity?

Fedace
09-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Of course he donates. Can you imagine how hated he would be if he had $800 haircuts and donated nothing to charity?

Is this haircut only for your head or rest of your body as well ?:confused:

Noveson
09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
I tip her $20 just cause she spends extra 15 minutes to make sure my hair is perfect, cause i am so picky and keep telling her to fix it. and I feel bad afterwards.:grin:

How old are you? And are you male or female? There IS a right answer to both of those questions.

Fedace
09-06-2007, 04:24 AM
How old are you? And are you male or female? There IS a right answer to both of those questions.

I heard tom cruise spends 3-4 hours on his haircut.;)

vive le beau jeu !
10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
I think the $800 haircut included the Deluxe Jumbo Frills Package:

A) Oral arguments from the really hot shampoo girl.
B) Another Stylist to distract Mirka while "A" is happening
C) A Bucket of Chicken
D) Curly Fries and A Supersize Coke.
E) A Free Weekend Getaway to whatever middle-of-nowhere development Erik Estada is currently selling on TV.
F) A manicure and pedicure with clear coat.
G) Mono-brow Waxing
H) A Fruit Cake
I) A Chia Pet
J) A Set of Gensu Knives
K) A Repeat of "A" and with a Complimentary Rinse. ;o)

At least Fed didn't shut down LAX for hours to get a very overpriced hair cut. ;o)
ahhh ok... the Deluxe Jumbo Frills Package, that's why !

good one ;) but you forgot something:
for the repeat of "A" you also need a repeat of "B"... because if you forget this repeat of "B", be sure he will be privated of any repeating of "A at home" during some time... :rolleyes:

HyperHorse
10-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Roger Federer is a sexy man.
And he recognises the power of his image.
You think he wants to look like a dog's breakfast from a cheap haircut?
I don't think so...
Roger realises how important he is to the promotion of tennis world wide..
So his appearance is important...
A haircut stays with you until your hair is long enough to be cut again..
This could be around 3-4months..
Anyway think of the economic contribution he's making to the hair styling industry by paying what most of you would consider a ridiculous amount for a haircut...
Give me a break will you?
Learning to be a hairdresser/stylist isn't the easiest thing in the world..
There's a lot to know and learn, a long apprenticeship process.
Anyway i take my hat off to Roger..
The king of tennis, of style, of humility...
May his image (and a decent haircut) be remembered forever...

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
well rich people like those expensive haircuts lol.

Jack the Hack
10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Just think of all the better ways that that $800 could have been spent; the people it could have helped.

Well, I'm sure it helped the hair dresser. $800 was probably only 1/5th of her rent that month in NYC.

Leublu tennis
10-24-2007, 03:27 PM

-SF
400 of them in Moldova.

Eviscerator
10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
What do you get for $800 haircut ?

Some years back I was convinced to go to a "top hairstylist" instead of my usual supercuts stylist. I waited for 1/2 hour, then my hair was "observed and evaluated" by this guy. After a wash and condition he proceed to cut my hair ever so slowly. He seem to take forever and when he was finished, it barely looked any different than my usual hair cut. When I was given the bill I almost went nuts since I was told it might cost $75.00, but the bill was for $235.00. Needless to say I spoke to the guy about it, and he said those are my rates, take it or leave it. I told him there was no way I was paying that much, and I thought $75.00 was pretty expensive. He said I did not have to pay, but to never return. I told him I would not return regardless, but that I would pay what I had expected to when I went there. So I left the guy $75.00 and returned to supercuts the next time and paid $15.00 for the same result. Granted I did not have people fawning over me and offering me champagne, but then again I didn't care for that anyway.

So I think you pay more for the reputation and privilege to say so & so does my hair, rather than any significant skill. Keep in mind I am a guy and just needed a cut. I imagine women who need coloring and all sorts of other things might be better able to justify spending big $$$, but $800.00 is just absurd.

AM28143
10-24-2007, 07:29 PM
maybe his haircut came with a happy ending.

shintan17
10-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Let the man do whatever he wants to do with his money...he's earned it. if I was making like $50 million a year, I would probably do the same. Never know. Until you are in a situation exactly like he is in, you would never understand how he feels. Maybe his gf controls him to go there..right? ;)

rommil
10-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I wonder if they discussed(if they did at all) the price before or after. Fed's haircut looks nice though and he probably was happy that the stylist came up with this cut so he didn't mind paying that much( if that is THAT much to them).

richw76
10-24-2007, 09:26 PM
^^ I agree. ^^

I couldn't disagree more. Generally no one gives you anything because they want to it's only because they feel they have to. Federer makes what he does because he puts butts in the seat and makes someone else 3-5 times what he gets(Phil Knight is not a philanthropist). They pay Federer what they do in endorsements because people buy 10 times that amount in clothing, etc. Also, You are generally paid/compensated by how easily you are replaced. Since only 2-4 people out of billions can replace him right now he is "worth" whatever he makes.
As For the "bling, Bling" culture that we have right now.... er yeah it's pretty self destructive. But I think eventually the pendulum will swing back. It always does.

maybe his haircut came with a happy ending.

For me even with a happy ending it would be worth only $400-500 with tip, ok maybe if I'm really happy $800..........

ananda
10-24-2007, 09:49 PM
of course you get the same thing you would have got for $15.

i bought some tennis shorts for about a dollar (converting from indian currency). but these were unbranded.

then i bought a pair of Adidas shorts for FIFTEEN times that price. Just for the brand.

Just as most affluent people will buy branded clothes for a lot more money, (and will not buy the same thing for a lot less)
so its quite natural that Fed would go to some expensive place.

Many rich kids at my school go to five-star hotels for haircuts, and they get the same cut for a LOT more money. But they can tell everyoen they went to the Intercontinental for a haircut.

CAM178
10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Weird: I posted in here earlier, and my post was removed. Nothing bad in it. Hmm. . .

Anyway. All I said was that the OP should have done more research: Fed got a $800 haircut because the editor from Vogue set up the haircut. They announced that on the air.

Deuce
10-25-2007, 12:59 AM
I couldn't disagree more. Generally no one gives you anything because they want to it's only because they feel they have to. Federer makes what he does because he puts butts in the seat and makes someone else 3-5 times what he gets(Phil Knight is not a philanthropist). They pay Federer what they do in endorsements because people buy 10 times that amount in clothing, etc. Also, You are generally paid/compensated by how easily you are replaced. Since only 2-4 people out of billions can replace him right now he is "worth" whatever he makes.
So exactly how many wrongs make a right in your book?
As For the "bling, Bling" culture that we have right now.... er yeah it's pretty self destructive. But I think eventually the pendulum will swing back. It always does.
And if it does 'swing back' - which there is no guarantee of it doing - how many people will suffer, and how many will die between now and then?

Selfishness, greed, and arrogance by any other names are still selfishness, greed, and arrogance.
And it affects each and every member of the culture in which it occurs.

keithchircop
10-25-2007, 03:31 AM
I don't care how Tom, Dick and Harry spend their money - that's their business. It is sad when money is wasted instead of used for doing good, but there's nothing I can do about it.

However, people in the public eye should think about the example they set. I don't think most celebrities want people to say, "if I were rich I'd get one of those $800 haircuts!". Smart people probably won't say that but what about the others? Celebrities should act more responsible for the consequences of their actions. Getting an $800 haircut instead of a $50 one is harder to digest than getting a BMW instead of a utility car IMHO.

Phil
10-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Somehow this remember me the "debate" between B. Clinton ($400 or $500 for a haircut: I'm not sure the amount) and Ross Perot ($7).
Yes, but Perot LOOKED like he had just had a $7 cut (or had done it himself).

Phil
10-25-2007, 04:15 AM
"Opportunity" accrues to those who work for it and those with the ability and talent. Federer has talent and in addition he has WORKED for his money. One has to WORK for opportunities (or know the right people). Technically, we live in a merit-based society...not a Communist one, as you would wish for.

I think you're being a bit hysterical. The uber-rich have always been arrogant and flaunted their wealth with ostentatious displays. This is not some new phenomenon. Did you just wake up in a cave or something?

richw76
10-25-2007, 08:22 AM
So exactly how many wrongs make a right in your book?

WHAT??? RU Saying it's wrong to use the money you worked for in the manner you desire. My only obligations in life are owed to myself and my family. If I choose to do something for others that's fine, but I feel no Obligation or guilt to do so.

And if it does 'swing back' - which there is no guarantee of it doing - how many people will suffer, and how many will die between now and then?

Selfishness, greed, and arrogance by any other names are still selfishness, greed, and arrogance.
And it affects each and every member of the culture in which it occurs.

True it may not swing back. But your Utopian dream land will not exist for a very long time, because currently people ARE indeed selfish, self serving, and greedy. The only way to guarantee someone won't stab you in the back is to make sure their success is contingent on your own.

Communism is a lovely ideal but due to the fact that people are power hungry and corrupt, it simply doesn't work. A free market society with winners and losers is unfortunately the best, and most fair system that is sustainable. Even the poorest in our country at least have an opportunity to eat and go to school, assuming their not strung out on drugs.

I don't care how Tom, Dick and Harry spend their money - that's their business. It is sad when money is wasted instead of used for doing good, but there's nothing I can do about it.

However, people in the public eye should think about the example they set. I don't think most celebrities want people to say, "if I were rich I'd get one of those $800 haircuts!". Smart people probably won't say that but what about the others? Celebrities should act more responsible for the consequences of their actions. Getting an $800 haircut instead of a $50 one is harder to digest than getting a BMW instead of a utility car IMHO.

I disagree. I don't think they are or should be role models unless they are worthy enough to be one. My role models are my mother and father two very intelligent hardworking people. I grew up with some "Rich" and some "Wealthy" people. Some were good and some were bad people. Just because they have money or are in the public eye doesn't make them any better or worse than anyone else, their actions do that.

"Opportunity" accrues to those who work for it and those with the ability and talent. Federer has talent and in addition he has WORKED for his money. One has to WORK for opportunities (or know the right people). Technically, we live in a merit-based society...not a Communist one, as you would wish for.

I think you're being a bit hysterical. The uber-rich have always been arrogant and flaunted their wealth with ostentatious displays. This is not some new phenomenon. Did you just wake up in a cave or something?

At least some people get it. and I have $50 that says deuce is a certified "Rich kid" or former rich kid who's parents took care of everything for him. I find that mainly kids of privilege think like him.

goober
10-25-2007, 07:18 PM
George Michael once paid 17,000 on a haircut. :)

I have come full circle. I started out with cheap hair cuts in college and started getting more expensive ones when I started working. Once I got into the $50 range I pretty much realized that there really wasn't that much of a difference in that haircut and the cheaper ones. I was paying for pampering and environment. The key is to find a good stylist at one of the cheaper places and always use that person rather than randomly showing up.

Deuce
10-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Indeed, when Phil can't take a position of substance, he often falls back on the old 'Communist' card...
Ho, hum...

There are hundreds of millions of people who WORK substantially harder than Federer for their money, doing things which are infinitely more important for society/people in general, and earn roughly 1/100th of the money Federer gets for his 'work'.
Federer gets paid for wearing a watch, for wearing shoes...
'Merit-based' - that's humorous. Especially when it's so bloody obvious that certain people "are far more equal" than others, and have far greater opportunities than others.

You often disagree with me simply to disagree - because you think it's 'cool', or 'tough', or some such - and make yourself look like an *** in the process, such as now.
If you don't see that the amount of money and the arrogant, obnoxious practice of flaunting it has grown by leaps and bounds - just in the past 10 years alone - then you are either lying, or are simply dumb.
There are more and more rich people, and they are absolutely richer than ever before (in proportion to the average citizen). Look at the money in the sports and entertainment industries alone - absolutely huge increases in the past 20 years or so. And flaunting it has become a national pastime on television.

WHAT??? RU Saying it's wrong to use the money you worked for in the manner you desire. My only obligations in life are owed to myself and my family. If I choose to do something for others that's fine, but I feel no Obligation or guilt to do so.
What's with the 'RU'? How old are you?
Fine - you have given your perspective. I find it's a selfish perspective - and so, it follows that you would defend the selfish and greedy.
Whoopie. What's your point, though?

True it may not swing back. But your Utopian dream land will not exist for a very long time, because currently people ARE indeed selfish, self serving, and greedy. The only way to guarantee someone won't stab you in the back is to make sure their success is contingent on your own.
Once again, I ask you - exactly how many wrongs make a right in your book?
Answer the question! The question, jerk!

Communism is a lovely ideal but due to the fact that people are power hungry and corrupt, it simply doesn't work. A free market society with winners and losers is unfortunately the best, and most fair system that is sustainable. Even the poorest in our country at least have an opportunity to eat and go to school, assuming their not strung out on drugs.
"Unfortunately the best", huh? Interesting choice of words.

At least some people get it. and I have $50 that says deuce is a certified "Rich kid" or former rich kid who's parents took care of everything for him. I find that mainly kids of privilege think like him.
You couldn't be more wrong.
You owe me $50.
Give it to a child-related charity, please.
For all your assumptions and arrogance, you've shown that you really don't know very much at all.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
10-25-2007, 10:05 PM
i paid 800 dollars for a haircut once.

and the cashier gave me 785 dollars change.

richw76
10-25-2007, 10:25 PM
What's with the 'RU'? How old are you?
Fine - you have given your perspective. I find it's a selfish perspective - and so, it follows that you would defend the selfish and greedy.
Whoopie. What's your point, though?

I'm 31 years old. How old are you? I am a little selfish but not greedy(I can give examples). And yes I believe you take care of your home first. I have great friends and a beautiful wife, and I hope you have as great and fulfilling a life as me.

Once again, I ask you - exactly how many wrongs make a right in your book?
Answer the question! The question, jerk!

Temper, Temper Deuce. I assumed your statement was rhetorical. To answer your question, no number of wrongs make a right. However, I don't believe it's wrong to have money. For example I own several properties which I rent. In one property I have a woman with a special needs child. She is on the voucher program, and I am renting the house for about $450 less a month than I could get so that she can afford the house. And it's not a dump it's a perfect 5 year old home with stainless steel GE profile appliances, etc.

You couldn't be more wrong.
You owe me $50.
Give it to a child-related charity, please.
For all your assumptions and arrogance, you've shown that you really don't know very much at all.

You may be right. Please let me know which charity. I will pay online and post the receipt. Although my arrogance tells me I'm probably right, I'll always give money to the kids. Truth is I donate a decent amount to charity every year. I rather know were my money is going than just giving it to uncle Sam.

Deuce
10-25-2007, 10:44 PM
You may be right. Please let me know which charity. I will pay online and post the receipt. Although my arrogance tells me I'm probably right, I'll always give money to the kids. Truth is I donate a decent amount to charity every year. I rather know were my money is going than just giving it to uncle Sam.
No - you're wrong about my history. Very much so.

Here you go...
https://www.givedirect.org/give/givefrm.asp?Action=GC&CID=524 (https://www.givedirect.org/give/givefrm.asp?Action=GC&CID=524)

http://www.childrenofthenight.org/home.html (http://www.childrenofthenight.org/home.html)

Please know, though, that giving one's time to assisting others is even more valuable than giving money.

richw76
10-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Here you go...
https://www.givedirect.org/give/givefrm.asp?Action=GC&CID=524 (https://www.givedirect.org/give/givefrm.asp?Action=GC&CID=524)

http://www.childrenofthenight.org/home.html (http://www.childrenofthenight.org/home.html)

Please know, though, that giving one's time to assisting others is even more valuable than giving money.

<info@givedirect.org>

[Add to Address Book]
To:
<xxxxxxxxxxx@comcast.net>
Subject:
Thank You For Your Donation To Children of the Night
Date:
Friday, October 26, 2007 1:52:58 AM

[View Source]
On behalf of Children of the Night, we thank you for your generous support! Your donation has been processed and your name is being forwarded on to the organization so that they may provide you with an acknowledgement.

Your credit card will be billed as GIVEDIRECT instead of Children of the Night. Your donation was processed as follows:
Contributor Information:
Name: Richard xxxxxxxx
Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dunwoody, GA 30338
United States
Email: xxxxxxxx@comcast.net
Phone:

Donation Amount: $50.00

Tribute Information:
In Honor Of: Deuce
Occasion: Making a difference
Please send notification of my gift to the following address:
Name:
Address:

Comments:
to Deuce from Tennis forum

Once again, thank you for your generosity.

Sincerely,
Janet Bargewell
GiveDirect
info@givedirect.org
(866) 459-6420

richw76
10-25-2007, 10:58 PM

Here you go...

I do both, in my own way. ;-) Going to bed talk to you tomorrow.

Deuce
10-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Thank you.

And since you're in the Atlanta area, give some thought to giving some of your time here
http://www.covenanthouse.org/ab_loc_georgia.html (http://www.covenanthouse.org/ab_loc_georgia.html)

http://www.covenanthousega.org/chga_volunteer.htm (http://www.covenanthousega.org/chga_volunteer.htm)

Try it - you might love it.

intense2b
10-26-2007, 06:02 AM
"When they go out at night, you know that Mirka is constantly waiting for Roger to get ready" Tennis magazine

richw76
10-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you.

And since you're in the Atlanta area, give some thought to giving some of your time here
http://www.covenanthouse.org/ab_loc_georgia.html (http://www.covenanthouse.org/ab_loc_georgia.html)

http://www.covenanthousega.org/chga_volunteer.htm (http://www.covenanthousega.org/chga_volunteer.htm)

Try it - you might love it.

I'll probably take my niece and her friend to the park instead. Hopefully if I do my part I can contribute to all my nieces and nephews, and guide them to making good decisions, and not placing themselves into dangerous situations. If I do that my greatest desire is that they never have to go to a place like that unless they have the time to volunteer.

If you donate your time to help others I congratulate you. It's a wonderful and selfless thing to do, and the world is a slightly better place because of it.

Personally I have to work for money. I have a big nice house, and a decent car, and a wife that loves shopping. Truth is even if that weren't the case I'm not that guy. I would never donate a significant amount of my time. And I'm ok with that.

Funny thing is even though I don't "get my hands dirty" I do contribute in my own way. I usually rent to one family that is in need. You'd be surprised how much some people are paying for real crap holes. And they usually thank me everytime I see them for giving them an affordable, nice, safe, clean place to live. My conscience is clear. I'm not running a sweat shop, or stuffing desperate people into crates to sneak them over the border. I'm far from "Rich" but I don't believe all Rich people are automatically bad. There are good and bad people in every socioeconomic group.

And Fed if you want to buy $200 dollar face lotion, or pay $800 for a haircut, or blow $5000 for a friends birthday dinner, good for you. Doesn't effect me in anyway.

Phil
10-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Indeed, when Phil can't take a position of substance, he often falls back on the old 'Communist' card...
Ho, hum...

There are hundreds of millions of people who WORK substantially harder than Federer for their money, doing things which are infinitely more important for society/people in general, and earn roughly 1/100th of the money Federer gets for his 'work'.
Federer gets paid for wearing a watch, for wearing shoes...
'Merit-based' - that's humorous. Especially when it's so bloody obvious that certain people "are far more equal" than others, and have far greater opportunities than others.
Federer was born with a talent that people pay to see. He is an entertainer and he has obviously worked hard to maximize his talent. With that actualization of his talent, comes endorsements...

Does he deserve to earn more than a teacher, a nurse or someone who works in a soup kitchen? In an egalitarian society, no. But we don't live in an egalitarian society. We (and Federer) live in a free market society.

You often disagree with me simply to disagree - because you think it's 'cool', or 'tough', or some such - and make yourself look like an *** in the process, such as now.
No one thinks I look like an ***, other than you. I disagree with you because...I disagree with you...and you frame your opinions as fact. I'm sorry you don't appreciate your arrogance being called on, but that's all it is.
If you don't see that the amount of money and the arrogant, obnoxious practice of flaunting it has grown by leaps and bounds - just in the past 10 years alone - then you are either lying, or are simply dumb.
There are more and more rich people, and they are absolutely richer than ever before (in proportion to the average citizen). Look at the money in the sports and entertainment industries alone - absolutely huge increases in the past 20 years or so. And flaunting it has become a national pastime on television.
I am not dumb or blind; but I do have an appreciation for history. When I say something like this, it isn't said in a vacuum, as you often seem to do-i.e. pull statements out of your *** without understanding history.

Ten years ago, before the Internet bubble burst, the money was flowing just as it is today. The flaunting of it was not as egregious because the noveau Wall St. rich didn't want to duplicate their mistakes of the 80's (another monied decade), when it all came crashing down in '87.

Have you ever heard of the Gilded Age? From the 1870's to the early part of the 20th century, the distribution of wealth was every bit as inequible as it is today...even more so as the US didn't really have a "middle class" to speak of. People like the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts, and Wm. Randolph Hearst built massive, monolithic homes...bigger than government buildings, flaunting their wealth and power and reminding everyone else that they are flyspecks and would remain so.

We live in a modern gilded age, but it isn't the first time it has happened. It happened in Europe long before it did in N. America. You ever read Dickens? Deuce, get some perspective...buy it, steal it...anything...just GET it.

You can do two things: One, you can stay an embittered, malcontent crank complaining about things that you don't have and others do (and which you can do absolutely nothing about). This tac makes you sound like a jealous and ranting nobody. Or two, you can continue to do what you do...if you, in fact, work in a field that helps others, and ignore the Gilded Age. Because there is NOTHING of substance that you can do about it...and, it will go away, just as sure as the last one did. This bubble's gonna burst fairly soon, as the US economy is going south.

Please don't respond to this post if all you're gonna do is attack ME. Respond to my comments. I don't mind being attacked-I can deflect anything you have-but for once, I'd like to see if you're even capable of responding intelligently to my comments.

Bodacious DVT
10-27-2007, 10:40 AM
What do you get for $800 haircut ?

http://p3.focus.de/img/gen/J/c/HBJc1M93_Pxgen_r_311xA.jpg
Mirka. $800.00 will get you a Mirka.

Mister G
10-27-2007, 11:36 AM
No one thinks I look like an ***, other than you.

No offense but I'll have to disagree with this one Phil...

Ten years ago, before the Internet bubble burst, the money was flowing just as it is today...

Though you MAY be correct on the money flow, you certainly arent about how PEOPLE have changed. It is the Internet, growth of media coverage/tv etc that has change society, into wanting more of everything. It HAS made everyone MORE selfish... It has brainwashed the majority of us into thinking what is desirable, what is "cool", what we so badly NEED to have, why we so badly NEED to be famous, etc... so much to the point where (here is one silly example), people are robbing others with guns/knives for their f*cking ipods?!?! I suppose in 1997 we were doing the same, but with our then CD players? I dont think so... People are flaunting it. Everyone who has something to flaunt is flaunting it. Fact. This last bit isn't directed AT YOU, but moreso my $0.02 on this topic at hand.

richw76
10-27-2007, 11:40 AM

I agree with Phil. Obviously you are an exception. And calling someone names w/o addressing their points is not very productive, entertaining, or engaging. Poopie head.

Mister G
10-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree with Phil.

So?

Obviously you are an exception.

Obviously.

And calling someone names w/o addressing their points is not very productive, entertaining, or engaging.

Calling someone names? Go back and READ my post, no name calling there whatsoever. I just disagreed with what appeared to be Phil saying that nobody thought he looked like an ***.

Poopie head.

Nice one! Did you think of that one by yourself or did your little niece help you out there? HMMMM... Hang on a second! Let me RE-QUOTE you:

And calling someone names w/o addressing their points is not very productive, entertaining, or engaging. Poopie head.

Isn't that EXACTLY what you just did? Pure genius. I did forget to mention in my edit, that admist what appears to be some bitterness between you 3 (I suppose now 4), I thought it was nice of you to donate the $50 to the charity, but whatever, poopie head. :roll: :confused:

richw76
10-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Nice one! Did you think of that one by yourself or did your little niece help you out there? HMMMM... Hang on a second! Let me RE-QUOTE you:

Isn't that EXACTLY what you just did? Pure genius. I did forget to mention in my edit, that admist what appears to be some bitterness between you 3 (I suppose now 4), I thought it was nice of you to donate the $50 to the charity, but whatever, poopie head. :roll: :confused:

Sometimes when I type I forget people can't see my expressions. I was being ironic with the poopie head thing, and I would punish my niece if she said that to an adult since she's 4 ;-) .

No bitterness. I actually quite enjoy many of the discussions on this board. That's probably why I've been coming back for the last 6 months. It's interesting to communicate different points of view even when I don't agree. Phil is right though many people including myself tend to state opinion as fact on the board, which is cool. Oops, think I just did it. :-)

Fries-N-Gravy
10-27-2007, 12:12 PM
i usually cut my own hair. $10-20 a cut places really suck unless you get a regular cut. before i had long hair when i used to get a buzz cut every time it was $9 and the guy i went to was amazing, he used to cut hair on a carrier for the navy. believe it or not you can pay $20 at a chain and get a really bad buzz cut.

you have to realize cutting long hair is the same as cutting women's hair, its very complicated especially with layering, its not as simple as a quick 10 min buzz or whatever. regualr perms can cost hundreds of dollars.

i guess most of you guys are too manly to even wonder about hair salons. :roll:

Phil
10-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I figured at least one idiot would take the bait...

Though you MAY be correct on the money flow, you certainly arent about how PEOPLE have changed. It is the Internet, growth of media coverage/tv etc that has change society, into wanting more of everything. It HAS made everyone MORE selfish... It has brainwashed the majority of us into thinking what is desirable, what is "cool", what we so badly NEED to have, why we so badly NEED to be famous, etc... so much to the point where (here is one silly example), people are robbing others with guns/knives for their f*cking ipods?!?! I suppose in 1997 we were doing the same, but with our then CD players? I dont think so... People are flaunting it. Everyone who has something to flaunt is flaunting it. Fact. This last bit isn't directed AT YOU, but moreso my $0.02 on this topic at hand.
People were Killing other people in the early 90's for their Nike shoes. Before that it was something else...it's ALWAYS been like that, you just don't remember (or haven't a clue).

I agree that the media (and by extension, advertising) has a large influence in creating greed and materialism, but the media is just a tool of the corporations that create the "needs" of people to acquire largely useless THINGS.

Mister G
10-27-2007, 12:41 PM
People were Killing other people in the early 90's for their Nike shoes. Before that it was something else...it's ALWAYS been like that, you just don't remember (or haven't a clue).

Perhaps Phil. In my opinion, it was never as bad - maybe we can get someone to pull out a statistic here as Im in no position to prove my opinion.

I agree that the media (and by extension, advertising) has a large influence in creating greed and materialism, but the media is just a tool of the corporations that create the "needs" of people to acquire largely useless THINGS.

So...that makes it ok? Would you agree that the media was as BIG and had such an equal amount of influence in the past? No, probably not. Which would mean that.... yes, more of us are influenced by these so-called "needs". Which would mean... you get the picture, you're a smart guy.

I figured at least one idiot would take the bait...

This is EXACTLY why people detest you on this board Phil... You don't know me, not one bit (probably because I don't post nearly as much as you do - even though I am reading most things posted) and yet here you are, waving and weilding your "mighty" pencil. Way to go man, I hope you feel real tough now... Who's the a-hole (that you so strongly and openly oppose against) now?

Phil
10-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Perhaps Phil. In my opinion, it was never as bad - maybe we can get someone to pull out a statistic here as Im in no position to prove my opinion.
What do you mean by "perhaps". I lived in NYC during the bad old days, and this kind of crime was fairly common. If I'm lying, then prove me wrong.

So...that makes it ok? Would you agree that the media was as BIG and had such an equal amount of influence in the past? No, probably not. Which would mean that.... yes, more of us are influenced by these so-called "needs". Which would mean... you get the picture, you're a smart guy.
No, it doesn't make it ok-it is what it is. That is how the world works now. We are a consumer society and we have been since the end of WW II. Nothing has changed...the concept is the same. Sell sell, buy buy-the economy depends on it (it does). The means to achieve this end, through the media may have become more sophisticated, but you're missing the bigger picture.

This is EXACTLY why people detest you on this board Phil... You don't know me, not one bit (probably because I don't post nearly as much as you do - even though I am reading most things posted) and yet here you are, waving and weilding your "mighty" pencil. Way to go man, I hope you feel real tough now... Who's the a-hole (that you so strongly and openly oppose against) now?
Well, you're the a-hole, obviously. I don't recall ever having a discussion with you, or saying anything unkind (if I did, I forgot), so I'm not sure why you felt a need to take an unsolicited pot shot at me. Why does my responding to that make me the bad guy? Step back and THINK about it, tough guy.

richw76
10-27-2007, 01:43 PM
This is EXACTLY why people detest you on this board Phil.....

I don't detest Phil, but maybe I'm the exception :-)

Mister G
10-27-2007, 02:34 PM
What do you mean by "perhaps". I lived in NYC during the bad old days, and this kind of crime was fairly common. If I'm lying, then prove me wrong.

Like I said - if you can prove to me that it was WORSE before then it is NOW, then I'm listening. Until either of us can come up with numbers, I would say that its pretty much your opinion against mine.

No, it doesn't make it ok-it is what it is. That is how the world works now. We are a consumer society and we have been since the end of WW II. Nothing has changed...the concept is the same. Sell sell, buy buy-the economy depends on it (it does). The means to achieve this end, through the media may have become more sophisticated, but you're missing the bigger picture.

So you won't admit that media coverage and influence is stronger? Thus affecting MORE of us into believing blah blah blah? Nice try and avoiding my point and adding your intelligent goober gabber - Nothing new coming from you I suppose.

Well, you're the a-hole, obviously. I don't recall ever having a discussion with you, or saying anything unkind (if I did, I forgot), so I'm not sure why you felt a need to take an unsolicited pot shot at me. Why does my responding to that make me the bad guy? Step back and THINK about it, tough guy.

We never had a discussion - You set yourself up for that one Im afraid, I just said I disagreed with you, is all. I didn't comment on your intelligence, in fact I think I clearly stated that you were a smart guy. Calling someone an "idiot" is compeltely different than agreeing that, that person looked like an *** when he himself openly brought up the topic. I felt a "need" to chime in as this is a forum no? And am I not allowed to express my opinion? Or is that solely your privilege mighty Phil? Bravo bravo!

Mister G
10-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't detest Phil, but maybe I'm the exception :-)

I don't either... but its slowly getting there. I'm just commenting on what I have observed in the past.

Deuce
10-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Phil has a way with hypocrisy. Asking me to focus on his opinions, and not on him...
Phil, more than any other on this board, has populated his posts with a much higher percentage of personal insults than with any true substance.
Phil asking others to respect his opinions while he consistently shows no respect for the opinions of so many others is... comical.

He is a typical 'internet bully' type whose words are strong, but whose substance is quite shallow. He adores coming into a thread and throwing his proverbial 'weight' around, attempting to intimidate others, and so raise his tiny self-esteem.
His act grew tired a long time ago - but he has chosen to neither progress nor mature.
Some people grow up.
Others don't.

As for his claim that virtually nothing has changed in North American society over the past 6 or 7 decades, it is a ludicrous claim, given the overwhelmingly increasing influence of the media and the proportionally increasing 'need' of more and more people to show off their 'status', no matter how it has been 'obtained'.
'Mister G' very efficiently revealed the numerous holes in Phil's position with his post #109.

And Phil, ever so typically, responded by calling Mister G an "idiot".
Ho hum...

HyperHorse
10-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Get over it guys.
I can't believe a discussion about how much Mr Federer paid for a haircut has dragged on.
Get a life.

Phil
10-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Phil has a way with hypocrisy. Asking me to focus on his opinions, and not on him...
Phil, more than any other on this board, has populated his posts with a much higher percentage of personal insults than with any true substance.
Phil asking others to respect his opinions while he consistently shows no respect for the opinions of so many others is... comical.

He is a typical 'internet bully' type whose words are strong, but whose substance is quite shallow. He adores coming into a thread and throwing his proverbial 'weight' around, attempting to intimidate others, and so raise his tiny self-esteem.
His act grew tired a long time ago - but he has chosen to neither progress nor mature.
Some people grow up.
Others don't.

As for his claim that virtually nothing has changed in North American society over the past 6 or 7 decades, it is a ludicrous claim, given the overwhelmingly increasing influence of the media and the proportionally increasing 'need' of more and more people to show off their 'status', no matter how it has been 'obtained'.
'Mister G' very efficiently revealed the numerous holes in Phil's position with his post #109.

And Phil, ever so typically, responded by calling Mister G an "idiot".
Ho hum...
Of course it is a lie...that I said that "virtually nothinghas changed in N. American society..." But...PEOPLE don't change...and as far as ostentatious displays of wealth, it's been going on for more than 7 decades. As usual, you have nothing of substance to back-up your initial comments, once someone calls you on the many, many flaws. Certainly, YOU haven't changed.

Phil
10-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Like I said - if you can prove to me that it was WORSE before then it is NOW, then I'm listening. Until either of us can come up with numbers, I would say that its pretty much your opinion against mine.
I don't know how old you are (you're probably in the neighborhood of 15), but having lived in NYC before the Giuliani years, I know that these types of crimes were more frequent. In addition, the overall crime rate in the USA has declined since then-those numbers ARE there if you bother to look. That's all the proof I need, while you have nothing.

So you won't admit that media coverage and influence is stronger? Thus affecting MORE of us into believing blah blah blah? Nice try and avoiding my point and adding your intelligent goober gabber - Nothing new coming from you I suppose.
We're speakiing different languages-you simply don't have the hardware to understand what this country is about. The media is not to blame here...it is merely a tool.

We never had a discussion - You set yourself up for that one Im afraid, I just said I disagreed with you, is all. I didn't comment on your intelligence, in fact I think I clearly stated that you were a smart guy. Calling someone an "idiot" is compeltely different than agreeing that, that person looked like an *** when he himself openly brought up the topic. I felt a "need" to chime in as this is a forum no? And am I not allowed to express my opinion? Or is that solely your privilege mighty Phil? Bravo bravo!
Calling someone an idiot if it's true is a valid, if undiplomatic, tack. You are certainly allowed to express your opinion, but you can't very well whine when someone tells you that your opinion is not worth a hill of dung. That's the flip side of free speech that people like you don't get.

Mister G
10-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Interesting. Quite a few posts have been deleted. Hmm...

jump4wd
10-29-2007, 12:57 PM
For $800 I think they cut each strand individually

ha. maybe they measure the length and angle before cutting each strand :)

Bodacious DVT
10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
ha. maybe they measure the length and angle before cutting each strand :)

maybe it comes with uhh... "extra benefits" :D

intense2b
11-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Get over it guys.
I can't believe a discussion about how much Mr Federer paid for a haircut has dragged on.
Get a life.

Its not just is haircut....if that were the only thing that he did then there would be no disussion. The haircut together with the man purse, gold studded sneakers, whie Wimbledon outfit, cosmetics line etc et etc is just a bit much.

hyrulemaster
11-21-2007, 08:34 AM
If I wanted to get my hair cut like Federer's, what exactly would I tell the barber? I don't want to pay more than like $20 but I'm talking about the general shape of his hair. In the past whenever I've needed a haircut I would hop to Supercuts and ask them to buzz it with the top being a little longer.

Where would I go for a Federer-like cut? Should I bring a picture and be like, "I want it like this"? I dont want it like that because Fed wears it like that, I want my hair like that regardless.

sargeinaz
11-21-2007, 08:36 AM
If I wanted to get my hair cut like Federer's, what exactly would I tell the barber? I don't want to pay more than like $20 but I'm talking about the general shape of his hair. In the past whenever I've needed a haircut I would hop to Supercuts and ask them to buzz it with the top being a little longer.

Where would I go for a Federer-like cut? Should I bring a picture and be like, "I want it like this"? I dont want it like that because Fed wears it like that, I want my hair like that regardless.

A barber cannot give you a hair cut like that. Just grow your hair out.
________
Jailbroken (http://jailbroken.org/)

ShooterMcMarco
11-21-2007, 12:13 PM

Just tell them you want a layered mop-top

richw76
11-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Just tell them you want a layered mop-top

It has a name? ok Cool.

Leelord337
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM

yeah, so do i

Fedace
11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
yeah, so do i

Easy, you can get the exact same cut like Fed for just $15 at fantastik Sam's. Just get a picture of federer' head and take it to your barber and tell him, i want to look like this. Of course, i mean the pic of federer without the headband.:)

lethalfang
11-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Look at this way: many people are able to make a living because rich people like Federer pay them $800 for a haircut.
Think of it as Mr. Federer providing a social service.

Fedace
11-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Look at this way: many people are able to make a living because rich people like Federer pay them $800 for a haircut.
Think of it as Mr. Federer providing a social service.

I hear that $800 is not really for the hair cut but what happens around the haircut. Like Message, pampering, pedicure, music, or maybe some private 1 on 1.:arrow::wink:

Cyan
11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
maybe some private 1 on 1.:arrow::wink:

LOL!!!!!!!

Loco4Tennis
11-28-2007, 05:40 PM
The same thing you get for a $200 hamburger - a bigger bill.

ha, that was funny
but i think what he got was a happy ending ;)

SoBad
11-28-2007, 09:18 PM
It's all relative - peanuts compared to the cost of plastic surgery he would need to get a decent face.

intense2b
12-04-2007, 05:58 AM
I wonder if he gets a "brazilian wax"?

chess9
12-04-2007, 07:05 AM
You can put lipstick on a pig, but.... :)

-Robert

intense2b
12-05-2007, 01:39 PM
You can put lipstick on a pig, but.... :)

-Robert

but what???? Its still a pig?

Serve and Volley
12-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I wonder if he gets a "brazilian wax"?

I bet you he does. I heard that he shaves much of his chest hair.

AlpineCadet
12-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Has anyone seen this $800 haircut? I'm assuming he won't be wearing a bandana for a while.

richw76
12-06-2007, 01:15 PM
I bet you he does. I heard that he shaves much of his chest hair.

I don't see the problem. I'm pretty chest/back bald myself, but if I had a seriously hairy back I would wax or shave or something.

Serve and Volley
12-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't see the problem. I'm pretty chest/back bald myself, but if I had a seriously hairy back I would wax or shave or something.

do you do the brazilian as well?

PimpMyGame
12-06-2007, 03:28 PM

Back sack and crack is the way to go. Imagine the leftovers if Sampras did that, it would be like a moth banquet.

Serve and Volley
12-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Back sack and crack is the way to go. Imagine the leftovers if Sampras did that, it would be like a moth banquet.

heh heh. that is too funny. Do you remember Agassi's quote.

"Nobody should be ranked No. 1 who looks like he just swung from a tree."

-Andre Agassi's cheap shot at Pete, for which he later apologized (1993)

(by the way Agassi shaves just abut everything).

tennisfan_23
12-06-2007, 05:38 PM
That's ridiculous.
But, you know, he deserves it. Some may think that it's a little bit over the top (no pun intended), but he's been extremely charitable; why not give a little something to himself? (:

richw76
12-06-2007, 10:36 PM

Yep...but only by special request of the wifie.

Serve and Volley
12-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Yep...but only by special request of the wifie.

can you say....P Whipped?:)

richw76
12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
can you say....P Whipped?:)

Yeah pretty much, and I'm ok with that. And it keeps the household relatively peaceful ;-)

Fedace
12-11-2007, 08:30 AM
What is Brazilian ?

Chicane
12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Lawrence, aka Boxingguy, passed away on April 12, 2007. He's a good friend of mine was kind enough to let my buddy and I to crash at his apartment for three days when we visited Vegas. He also showed me around the city and took me to hit at the Stacy Darling Tennis Center, where he beat me 6-1 6-0. Such a classy gentleman, very fit, non-drinking, non-smoking, upbeat and happy about life.

What happened?

Does anyone know Lawrence personally?

intense2b
12-12-2007, 04:24 AM
What is Brazilian ?

a Brazilian is a person from Brazil. ;) ( I don't want your mom kicking you off this site kid).

Leelord337
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I am trying to go for the federer hair do look to no avail so far. it looks like the beatles

Serve and Volley
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I am trying to go for the federer hair do look to no avail so far. it looks like the beatles

hahah,,,you got the 8 cents cut.