PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State!!!!!!!!

Fearsome Forehand
09-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I live in the Ann Arbor area and attended UM. I'm not originally from Michigan so I grew very weary of hearing how great UM is ad nauseam.

I was elated to see lil' ol' Division II Appalachian State of Boone NC beat the mighty, heavily funded and essentially professional UM football team in front of 100,000 plus rabid our excrement doesn't stink elitist UM fans. David slayed Goliath in front of the home crowd.

What is funny is that almost all the big football schools use their first home game now as a guaranteed win by inviting some non-football power to play haplesss victim. Michigan paid Appalachian $400K to make the trip up and be slaughtered. Someone forgot to tell the AS players they were supposed to lay down.

This was the ultimate football underdog win and UMichigan can never live this down. The Staters must have had a big party in East Lansing after that game.

This one was even better than Chris Weber's time out.

Dedans Penthouse
09-05-2007, 10:46 AM
An astounding upset; up there with Douglas-Tyson. Hate to see you fly this thread with nary a response, so here goes:

"Hail to the Losers!":twisted:

:-) ----Appalachia State 34
:shock: ----Michigan 32

LuckyR
09-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I have to admit I like U of M, but this was downright funny. And to drop from #5 to #33 in the polls, classic...

ATXtennisaddict
09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Definitely a hilarious result.

Trainer
09-05-2007, 11:09 AM
A lot of sportswriters are calling the biggest upset in Sports History...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_LnLiv99Ys

ChipNCharge
09-05-2007, 11:36 AM
What was the point spread for this game?

hjminard
09-05-2007, 11:39 AM
What was the point spread for this game?

There wasn't one ... Vegas wouldn't touch it.

Fearsome Forehand
09-06-2007, 09:32 AM
That's right, no bets were accepted. The betting would be too one sided. Bookies don't like that.

Anyway, you would have to live (or have lived) in Michigan and know how elitist (and snobby) UM-ers are to truly appreciate this outcome. They think Ann Arbor in the center of the universe.

I think Bo had another heart attack after this game (and he's been dead for a year.)

goober
09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
That's right, no bets were accepted. The betting would be too one sided. Bookies don't like that.

Anyway, you would have to live (or have lived) in Michigan and know how elitist (and snobby) UM-ers are to truly appreciate this outcome. They think Ann Arbor in the center of the universe.

I think Bo had another heart attack after this game (and he's been dead for a year.) ;o)

I spent 4 years in Michigan. Worked with a ton of UM grads. They were passionate fans I have to give you that. During football season, the mood on Monday morning pretty much depended on how the football team did on Saturday. But they thought they were the elite both academically and athletically. It did get annoying after awhile so that loss had me smiling:D

Dedans Penthouse
09-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Interesting to see how and if Michigan turns it around. They have Oregon this week. Assuming they'll win that game, they then play a weak (by ND standards) Notre Dame team that is too young in too many areas. Michigan will probably win a one-sided game and then start crowing: "we're back!"

Let them go to Madison, Wisconsin and win there; the Badgers look pretty loaded (provided they get good play at the QB position). But even if Michigan ran the table and was one of only a handful of teams with "only" 1 loss, they aren't (and shouldn't) get to the BCS championship game; simply because of WHO they lost to. No disrespect to App. St. (again, great win), but it is a small-school that should not be GOING INTO "THE BIG HOUSE" and coming out with a victory. In the rain.....at Appalachia State......that's one thing, but at Ann Arbor? Bad, bad loss in anybody's book. And so, once again:

"Hail To The Losers!" :twisted:

:-)---Appalachia State 34
:shock:---Michigan32

KBalla08
09-06-2007, 03:54 PM
if Michigan runs the table, which could still happen if they turn it around, they would get into the Rose Bowl... no championship for them... stupid idiots lol

tricky
09-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm a diehard Buckeye fan. Last Saturday was a good day. :D

That said, the Wolverines are officially BCS poison because of this loss. They can't help you with the points, but if you lose to the Wolverines, your own rankings go to hell.

Dedans Penthouse
09-07-2007, 08:19 AM

That said, the Wolverines are officially BCS poison because of this loss. They can't help you with the points, but if you lose to the Wolverines, your own rankings go to hell.I would've loved to have seen (heard) the reaction in the Horseshoe in Columbus, OH when the 34-32 final score was announced.

hjminard
09-07-2007, 08:44 AM

I personally don't understand that mindset. As a Michigan fan, I root for all Big 10 teams against non-conference opponents. Heck, I'd like for Michigan and Ohio State to both be undefeated every year when they meet. That rivalry, aided by the historical success of both programs, defines the Big 10.

This loss was an embarrassment to the entire conference (as evidenced by the other 1-AA coach saying that App State is better than 5-6 teams in the Big 10). (Even more embarrassing than both UM's and OSU's bowl performance last year.)

tricky
09-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I would've loved to have seen (heard) the reaction in the Horseshoe in Columbus, OH when the 34-32 final score was announced.

Mostly laughter. Apparently, the Buckeyes fans have purchased more App State T-shirts than people who go to App State. ;)

Ultimately, as hjminard said, it's very bad for the conference because Michigan is now a #33 team. You can't earn points beating Michigan, but you can get killed in the points if you lose to them.The collateral damage is big, because now if Michigan starts beating the other mid-tier Big-10 teams, the SOS of the conference games also go to hell regardless of whether they beat Michigan or not.

But, yeah, I love Lloyd Carr. His teams find new ways to stun their alumni. :D

hjminard
09-07-2007, 10:22 AM
But, yeah, I love Lloyd Carr. His teams find new ways to stun their alumni. :D

I love John Cooper. And I miss him ... :sad:

ChipNCharge
09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Are the O$U Buckeye$ going to have a good $ea$on this year. Troy $mith $ure wa$ a good player! The be$t college qb money could buy!

tricky
09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I love John Cooper. And I miss him ...

Yeah, at work, a Michigan alum coworker of mine and I often talk about how the heck Lloyd Carr is allowed to keep his job. I mean, I'm perfectly happy with Tressell driving a Lloyd Carr but Michigan is only 2nd to Notre Dame as the most hallowed college football program in the country. A Petrino or Urban Myer should be coaching the Wolverines. I'm really glad that they got Lloyd Carr instead. :D

wtennis206
09-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Most of my friends who graduated this past year went to App State and they sent me pictures from some of the parties.

They went crazy in Boone.

yodudedudeyo
09-08-2007, 01:11 PM
can someone tell me what the heck is wrong with michigan football? is anyone watching the mich-oregon game right now??!?! this is redic!

Breaker
09-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Michigan playing like utter ***** right now...at this rate they will be lucky to be seeded by year end.

Breaker
09-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Interesting to see how and if Michigan turns it around. They have Oregon this week. Assuming they'll win that game, they then play a weak (by ND standards) Notre Dame team that is too young in too many areas. Michigan will probably win a one-sided game and then start crowing: "we're back!"

Let them go to Madison, Wisconsin and win there; the Badgers look pretty loaded (provided they get good play at the QB position). But even if Michigan ran the table and was one of only a handful of teams with "only" 1 loss, they aren't (and shouldn't) get to the BCS championship game; simply because of WHO they lost to. No disrespect to App. St. (again, great win), but it is a small-school that should not be GOING INTO "THE BIG HOUSE" and coming out with a victory. In the rain.....at Appalachia State......that's one thing, but at Ann Arbor? Bad, bad loss in anybody's book. And so, once again:

"Hail To The Losers!" :twisted:

:-)---Appalachia State 34
:shock:---Michigan32

It looks like even that was too optimistic, losing by 25 at home against Oregon is downright embarassing...I will have to hide my face in shame when I go out in public (am a Michigan fan living in Ohio)

BigServer1
09-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Wow. Oregon just beat Michigan by 32 at the Big House...As bad as Notre Dame seems to be, maybe they have a shot against the preseason #5 mighty Wolverines...

soyizgood
09-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Can Michigan even beat a division 3 team??? Lloyd Carr should have retired when he had the chance. He could at least say he got 1 national title, compared to 0 with Bo.

They're lucky they don't see tOSU until the end of the year. Even tOSU scrapped by Akron of all teams today. PAC-10 >>>>>> Little 10 (UM being the uncounted orphan) so far. Big 10 teams don't have foot speed to keep up with PAC-10 and SEC teams.

If Oregon really is that good, USC and CAL are going to have a challenge for the PAC-10 title. Then again, Oregon usually starts fast and goes down in flames. Go USC!

BigServer1
09-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Can Michigan even beat a division 3 team??? Lloyd Carr should have retired when he had the chance. He could at least say he got 1 national title, compared to 0 with Bo.

They're lucky they don't see tOSU until the end of the year. Even tOSU scrapped by Akron of all teams today. PAC-10 >>>>>> Little 10 (UM being the uncounted orphan) so far. Big 10 teams don't have foot speed to keep up with PAC-10 and SEC teams.

If Oregon really is that good, USC and CAL are going to have a challenge for the PAC-10 title. Then again, Oregon usually starts fast and goes down in flames. Go USC!

Man, are you reading my mind? This team loves to get the city of Eugene, OR in a frenzy and then crap the bed. I'm used to it by now though, so it's okay with me.

Fearsome Forehand
09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
This just gets better and better for me.;o)

Michigan has not lost two at home to open a season since Ike was President and hasn't' lost by 32 points since Rex Kern was QB at Ohio State.

Michigan alumni are reported to be gathering near Bo's grave to see if it possible to dig him up and install his remains as coach. They have got the entire UM Med School faculty workng on the project.

Carr is toast.

And The West must be a very very small place. ;o)

J-man
09-08-2007, 06:36 PM
That's rough for UM. I don't follow college football like I used to. But I remeber that UM was a power house and tough to play. But now they're having a rough start to the season. Going down to Oregon like this. Oregon played well though.

soyizgood
09-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Michigan redeemed itself. Oregon is still lighting it up. And Notre Dame is well... Notre LAME. I guess order is being restored to the college football universe.

Sean Dugan
09-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Hardly redemption for UM given Notre Dame has one of the worst teams in its history right now.

ND is absolutely terrified to play Appalachian State. ;o)

soyizgood
09-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Hardly redemption for UM given Notre Dame has one of the worst teams in its history right now.

ND is absolutely terrified to play Appalachian State. ;o)

ND should be glad they don't have App St. to deal with. Then again, this ND squad could very well get swept by the academies. Serves them right for firing Willingham the way they did. Weis won with Willingham's players, while Weis' ******** have scored a grand total of 1 TD! If Weis = Genius, then Bush = an American hero...LMAO

The Big 10 is so weak I wouldn't be surprised if UM won the Big 10 title. They only have to worry about tOSU and Wisconsin (neither squad impresses me much). Minnesota and Purdue run spread offenses, so that could pose a problem for Michigan. My money's on Wisconsin to breakthrough, though. This year's Big 10 = last year's ACC....hahaha

Geezer Guy
09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I just happened to be in the Boone & Blowing Rock area that weekend. The whole place went nuts!

tennis-n-sc
09-18-2007, 03:27 AM
I was not surprised at the showing of Appy State. I was surprised they won. But if you look at what the former DivAA have done so far this year to some really good teams, I would no longer be shocked by anything. Appy State is a fundemently sound football team that has won two national championships in a row in the playoff system. The fact that not many people have heard of them, I think, maximizes the shock in the sports world. Most sports writers probably didn't have a clue where Appy State was or what conference they played in. Check out Troy and Central Florida, among many others. I think the D1 schools are going to be much more selective in the future when they go looking for early season patsies or homecoming fodder.