PDA

View Full Version : playing a 3.5 S&V-er

sapient007
09-04-2007, 10:54 AM
last time we met i lost 6-2 6-3. I rate myself as a 3.0-er but his game is total domination of every thing i hit over. He can place shots seemly anywhere and quick as hell with i tried to lob and hit the lines. I know the basic game should be hitting at his feet but he seems to eat those up as well. very soft hands and i would say 80% of his BH are slices and a flat FH that doesn't bounce much at all making my return shot even harder.

playing him makes me wondering why the S&V game has all but died in the pro circuit.

lkdog
09-04-2007, 11:15 AM
last time we met i lost 6-2 6-3. I rate myself as a 3.0-er but his game is total domination of every thing i hit over. He can place shots seemly anywhere and quick as hell with i tried to lob and hit the lines. I know the basic game should be hitting at his feet but he seems to eat those up as well. very soft hands and i would say 80% of his BH are slices and a flat FH that doesn't bounce much at all making my return shot even harder.

playing him makes me wondering why the S&V game has all but died in the pro circuit.

Interesting. From your description he is not a 3.5 if he can execute his volleys, overheads, and approaches so well, is really fast, and actually has a serve that is attacking. Sounds like a 4.0-4.5 from your description.

FWIW-

-Try to move in and hit a blocked slice/flat return of serve down the line and follow it in. Use almost a volley stroke on your part. Serve and Volley guys hate it when the other guy attacks first.
-Hit your passing shots that make him stretch a bit-don't try to hit winners on the first one.
-Lob when he is pulled in tight to the net-not when he is near the service line. Lob to his backhand side if you can direct it.
-Get balls back.
-When in real trouble-hit it high to his BH volley which is usually not a putaway shot at that level.
-Hug the baseline. Again if he is really a 3.5 he is not hitting volleys/approaches/and ground strokes that deep.

As a 3.0 I doubt you can consistently hit dipping topspin returns at his feet so don't try for the dramatic shot. Get balls back that are not sitters to his forehand volley or easy overheads and you will be surprised how many he misses. As you get more balls back-he will try and hit lines and miss more.
Happens at every level. A 3.5 volleyer-even a decent one cannot hit 3 or 4 balls in a row back that often.

Good luck. The other thing is quit telling yourself he is invincible. :D

sapient007
09-04-2007, 11:21 AM
he has so far handed everyone bagles or close to it in our rec league. Some ppl has commented that he's more of a 4.0 but he does play in a 3.5 adult league outside of our little office thing. I don't expect to win but a few points here and there would be nice. the 3 games i've won on my best set against him was when i was down 5-0 and decided to go all out for big serves and charge the net to play his S&V game. I think that took him a little by surprise but he eventually took it seriously and won his service to finish the set.

lkdog
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
If he is beating everyone in your 3.5 rec league 6-0 every set he is not a 3.5.

He needs to be playing up.
Kind of silly for him to be in your league.

kevhen
09-04-2007, 12:48 PM
He beat this 3.0 guy 6-2, 6-3 so he may not quite be 4.0 yet.

Yes, you can S&V yourself and take the net before he does. Did you try lobbing him? Many 3.5s don't have great overheads even if they have very good vollies.

Work on hitting harder and lower passing shots in practice. Try to add more spin (topspin and backspin) to your passing shots as well. Practice your lobs. More spin and more pace may cause him to miss more. Higher lobs may bother him as well and may drive him back off the net. Have fun and keep working at it.

Gmedlo
09-04-2007, 12:59 PM
When I serve and volley the most annoying thing is when I get a return with a lot of topspin on it. Usually I have to take it on the rise in no-man's land, and as a result the returner has a plenty of time to set up and they have an easy ball to hit that is a floater 50% of the time.

As a 3.5-4.0 S&v i doubt he has much of a baseline game. If he does it's probably pretty defensive, so make sure you hold your serve and take control of the point early. Don't let him come in when you're serving.

Edit: Develop a topspin lob, if you don't have one yet. They are S&V killers.

spdskr
09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
What types of 1st and 2nd serves does your S&V opponent use? If possible move up to the base line to return serve. Take his first serves on the rise if you can. This gives him less time to close on the net and he must volley your return from further back in the court. Like the OP have said, topspin lobs are your friend especially on his deeper volleys...when possible aim for his backhand side. Lastly, if you can generate your own pace, attack any of his chipped approaches with pace and spin. As you have found, it pays to stay aggressive.

lethalfang
09-04-2007, 06:49 PM
S&V can be very effective at 3.0-3.5, as most non-S&V'er there don't have the groundstrokes to pass you.

luckyfool
09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
If you're a 3.0 and play against 3.5 s&v, you're gonna have trouble no matter what style your opponent plays (baseliner, pusher, counter puncher, you name it). Your best bet is to develop superior ground stroke to force your opponent to stay in the baseline. If he tries to come forward, just blast the ball to the side for a great passing shot. If he/she could still manage to save it, it would be a easy put away for you since he/she is usually out of position. i hope this helps.

krz
09-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Yea at this level S&V is great because most opponents can't pass consistently. At 4.0+ people are going to be able to hit dippers and if you give them a decent amount of time are going to pass you or hit a good enough shot where the 2nd shot will pass.

As for your question about the pro tour the co-poly strings have really almost killed S&V. More control, more spin, more angles, and probably biggest reason is hitting good shots from defensive positions i just way to easy these days.

goober
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
A 3.5 S&V player would get easily beat by 4.0 player. Not that is surprising, but you are a level below him and he is using a style that is very effective against low level players. Most 3.0 can't pass and lob very well. I am going to guess your Office league players are really going to be not very good so a 3.5 USTA player would carve them up.

You are not going to beat this guy until you develop solid passing shots and the ability to keep the ball deep consistently. Once you are able to do this you will be probably 3.5-4.0

Uh BTW judging how a 3.0 plays against a 3.5 is not really going to tell you much about the pro circuit :D Not trying to be mean, but they are completely different games.

NamRanger
09-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Serve and Volley died because of the return game got too big for them to handle. Important is your ability to hold serve, so make sure you hold serve. Do whatever it takes. Once it gets to his serve, all you need to do is get a few good looks at his serve. Punish him for putting in second serves. First serves block them low to his feet, then try for the pass.

sapient007
09-05-2007, 08:31 AM
thought i would give an update on the game last night. the end result was 6-0 6-1. despite the lopsided score, i felt like i played some good points some good exchanges back and forth and during that latter part of the 2nd set.

i feel like i need to develop my serve the most. during the 1st set, my 1st serve % was low and he was able to pound the 2nd serve down the line or somewhere i couldn't reach. Things didn't get much better on the 2nd set service wise but games were much closer as i tried to relax more and not think about the score. Overall it's a lot of fun for me b/c i was able to see that hitting the most powerful shot down the line wasn't necessarily the right shot for the moment. i've found in many occasions where a decently paced deep ball made him scramble more. I realize i still have plates full of things i need to work on but playing ppl higher from my ability is def something i look forward to do more often.