PDA

View Full Version : How to improve consistency in general

TennisFrkJC92
09-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Is there any other method to improve my consistency on every aspect of my game besides practicing over and over again?

I'm having trouble with consistency on my serves and overheads.

SlapShot
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Practice. Work with a teaching pro. Practice some more.

WBF
09-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Be sure to employ the proper fundamentals, and practice as often as you can. Be sure to stay fit.

That's pretty much it. I think having the fundamentals down solid is the most important thing: after two years of not playing tennis (only 2-3 times a year), I was able to come back and serve better and more consistently than I had in college (don't ask me how).

RedWeb
09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I've been told you should place targets on court to help improve your accuracy and consistency. Aim small, miss small.

Bagumbawalla
09-04-2007, 05:32 PM
First, you should go to the bookstore and fork over the money for a book on tennis strategy that explains percentage tennis and how to set up points-and read it.

Then, rather than play "fun games", practice and drill. Work on all your shots. Make a list of the most common shots and practice them with your partner.

Forehand down the line, forehand crosscourt, backhand crosscourt and down the line. Lob, topspin lob, volley down the line, angle volleys, stop/drop volleys, dropshots, topspin, flat shots, slice, first serve, spin serves... you get the picture. When you can do all these things (and others) well, and consistantly in practice-- that will carry over into match play.

asknowbuylater
09-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Buy some talent on bbay

LuckyR
09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Is there any other method to improve my consistency on every aspect of my game besides practicing over and over again?

I'm having trouble with consistency on my serves and overheads.

The above tips will help with the bulk of your game, namely your groundstroke, but for serves and overheads, I would recommend practice for the former and footwork for the latter.

asknowbuylater
09-05-2007, 05:23 PM
It's most important to learn the right techniques. You'll still be able to execute them effectively after 10 years without hitting a ball as long you remember.

Practicing without the right knowledge is just a waste of time. I've learned to serve the hard way and it's quite painful. Takes so much time. I would certainly would have paid a teaching pro.

Vision84
09-07-2007, 08:42 AM
For serves and overheads as people have mentioned once you get the correct fundamentals down then practice. Focus on placement and targets on the court as already said is a good idea to help aid in this. Also don't muscle the ball which means swinging to hard.

lakis92
09-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Topspin could help your consistency. Switch to semi-western or western grip.

sapient007
09-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Topspin could help your consistency. Switch to semi-western or western grip.

that may be the worst advice given for a serve/over head aside from that double hit BS.

MTXR
09-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Fitness is very important. When my fitness is sub par, my consistency goes down.