PDA

View Full Version : Best Tennis Game?

MrBushido
10-31-2004, 01:10 AM
For those of you who have PlayStation 2, XBox or Gamecube (or even Gameboy Advance), perhaps you could enlighten me (and other people) with a Tennis video game?

I've heard of Top Spin for the Xbox, but I heard it was too basic, and no skill would be involved as long as you press this button when the ball comes at you. I don't know, maybe that's what all tennis games are like, I'm just wondering if there's a game out there that involves maybe a combination of buttons to pull of different strokes and serves and what not (I may be asking for too much)?

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

splink779
10-31-2004, 08:38 AM
Its a tie between Tennis2k2(Virtua Tennis 2) for dreamcast and Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2 for ps2

MrBushido
10-31-2004, 10:33 AM
I think I'll check out the PS2 game out.

VashTheStampede
10-31-2004, 04:05 PM
In my opinion Tennis 2K2/Sega Sports Tennis is too unrealistic. You can hit overhead winners off of an overhead-now that's too unrealistic for my taste.
I enjoy playing Top Spin more than I enjoy playing Sega Sports Tennis. The shots look much nicer and it doesn't feel as "arcadey" as Sega. The world tour mode here could use some improvement, and not to mention more characters. Also, the special ability features are unrealistic. For example, Hewitt's natural ability is power and not footspeed and counterpunching (like he is in real life.) Plus, in Top Spin, most of the players shots look the same for each character; almost everyone here hits their forehand like Hewitt (Huge and loopy.) JM Gambill hits with a one-handed forehand in Top Spin too, :lol: . Also, at times players with a one-handed backhand hit with two hands, and the same vice versa. Oh, and if you want to play against a serve and volleyer, you won't find many of those in this game.
Overall, it's a pretty fun game. I just need XBOX LIVE to test out its true capabilities. I have yet to play Smash Court Tennis 2 for PS2. From what I hear I have to try that out!!

MrBushido
10-31-2004, 04:17 PM
I hear some nice things about Smash Court Tennis 2. I'm looking for game clips at the moment (or at least I was a few hours ago).

splink779
11-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Smash Court and topspin are good, but sometimes Tennis2k2 is great due to the fact that it is a little less realistic. The speed of Tennis 2k2 is faster than both the other games, which also improves the funness.

MrBushido
11-01-2004, 01:57 PM
I never purchased Dreamcast (I should have, I might import one from Japan so I can play DDP). Top Spin I haven't heard such great things about.

perfmode
11-01-2004, 03:18 PM
"Tennis" for the gameboy is a classic and a definite must have.

johnathan smith
11-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Hey guys,
I have a like new dream cast, 1 controller and a memory card,(which is a must to win the tour) and tennis 2k2. Don't really play vidoe games much anymore and would love to sell the whole lot.
Email me: jwhtennis777@yahoo.com

GotGame?
07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
After playing that Mario Power Tennis for Gamecube, it is my vote for best tennis game. I have played the original Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast and Topspin for Xbox, Mario Tennis for Gamecube is what I enjoyed the most.

krnboijunsung
07-27-2005, 12:24 PM
For those of you who have PlayStation 2, XBox or Gamecube (or even Gameboy Advance), perhaps you could enlighten me (and other people) with a Tennis video game?

I've heard of Top Spin for the Xbox, but I heard it was too basic, and no skill would be involved as long as you press this button when the ball comes at you. I don't know, maybe that's what all tennis games are like, I'm just wondering if there's a game out there that involves maybe a combination of buttons to pull of different strokes and serves and what not (I may be asking for too much)?

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

You want a tennis game that requires a COMBINATION of buttons to hit? That'd be hard.

I can picture it, holding the controller yelling "OMG I PRESSED X, O, R1, O INSTEAD OF O, R2, O, X FOR A FLAT SHOT!!!"

Most tennis games have one button for each different shot. Except in SCTPT2, the running shot requires R1+one of the face buttons.

VAmazona
07-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Mario Tennis os by far my favorite tennis game. I only bought Top Spin b/c Sampras was in it.

Shyyre
07-28-2005, 08:39 AM
topspin is fun, but without online capability, it loses it's edge quickly. not to mentionthe fact that it tries to be overly realistic but falls woefully short when they can't even get the names of the tournaments (The Americans Championship in staed of the US open and the Great Britian championship instead of wimbledon...

also , just a little comentary would be nice.

however, i've heard that the new topspin 2 is coming out for xbox 360 and it looks badass! more players, better graphics etc.

nViATi
07-28-2005, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=Shyyre] not to mentionthe fact that it tries to be overly realistic but falls woefully short when they can't even get the names of the tournaments (The Americans Championship in staed of the US open and the Great Britian championship instead of wimbledon...QUOTE]
i think that is due to licensing issues.

Shyyre
07-28-2005, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Shyyre] not to mentionthe fact that it tries to be overly realistic but falls woefully short when they can't even get the names of the tournaments (The Americans Championship in staed of the US open and the Great Britian championship instead of wimbledon...QUOTE]
i think that is due to licensing issues.

true, but you'd think that they might get more of a base support if the games were more realistic. in other words the'd fork out the cash for the licensing, and make it back with increased sales... that's the way it works for all the others.

take the ea sports franchises... they settle up the the players union for whatever sport, so players get a share, pay a little more for the marquis players to appear on the box cover... but more peeopl are liable to play a game that has real players, stadiums, competitions etc...

after all, the whole point of playing a game is to fantasize about things that you yourself can't do. why do you think that the "create a player feature" is sooo popular.

Right now in FIFA 2005, i'm a 6'1'' striker with 45 goals 1/2 way through the season, in MLB i'm an all star short stop with 65 home runs, in tiger woods golf i shot a 52 at st andrews and in last years Madden 2005 i had over 2300 recieving for the colts!... come on, you want the most realistic game experience possible (with totally unrealistic results, i might add:), and with the prices of these games what they are, these companies should pay up to make it the best.

btw, i heard that ea is going to go into the tennis market soon... and their games are the best and they always get the liscensing taken care of so keep your eyes open for that.

Prestige_Spin
07-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Topspin for Xbox and coming soon Topspin 2 with Roddick and Federer and Agassi for the all new XBox 360.

nViATi
07-28-2005, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=nViATi]

true, but you'd think that they might get more of a base support if the games were more realistic. in other words the'd fork out the cash for the licensing, and make it back with increased sales... that's the way it works for all the others.

take the ea sports franchises... they settle up the the players union for whatever sport, so players get a share, pay a little more for the marquis players to appear on the box cover... but more peeopl are liable to play a game that has real players, stadiums, competitions etc...

after all, the whole point of playing a game is to fantasize about things that you yourself can't do. why do you think that the "create a player feature" is sooo popular.

Right now in FIFA 2005, i'm a 6'1'' striker with 45 goals 1/2 way through the season, in MLB i'm an all star short stop with 65 home runs, in tiger woods golf i shot a 52 at st andrews and in last years Madden 2005 i had over 2300 recieving for the colts!... come on, you want the most realistic game experience possible (with totally unrealistic results, i might add:), and with the prices of these games what they are, these companies should pay up to make it the best.

btw, i heard that ea is going to go into the tennis market soon... and their games are the best and they always get the liscensing taken care of so keep your eyes open for that.
tennis games will never be realistic. tennis is just too complex

Ken.Knight
07-28-2005, 12:39 PM
It's impossible to get them to be realistic. Top spin, I think, has done the best job so far.

But once you got used to placing the serves right at the corners every time (with the risk shots) and getting used to the timing on risk shot groundstrokes and volleys, it was really, really easy against anybody.

I think they should take those risk shots out. Keep the drop shots though, those were actually really effective, but only if you knew exactly what you were doing in specific situations.

Cobrien
07-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Smash Court 2 is the best yet.

Each player plays like they do in real life and their strokes look the same.

Not played Topspin but I've heard its too easy.

Smash Court is too easy too thinking about it.

mistapooh
07-28-2005, 09:38 PM
mario tennis for gba comes out in august. The gbc version rocks!

Andy Hewitt
07-28-2005, 11:03 PM
MAN! This thread is OOOOLD!

ucd_ace
07-29-2005, 12:57 AM
I liked Tennis 2k2 the best. Topspin was just too easy. I really have to screw around to get any kind of match from the computer, but that's pretty boring as well. You can play Tennis 2k2 forever trying to see how far you can get with King. I think mine is at level 17 or something like that. I've never played Mario Tennis, but I hear good things.

If it wasn't for VirtuaTennis I never would have started playing real tennis.

CoASH
07-29-2005, 02:18 AM
I have played all tennis games on all platforms. even the prince of tennis ones and PCE ones. jimmy connors on snes had the right idea on serving and controlling the power of your shots.

the new top spin for PS2 will have federer and sharapova. in september.

Shyyre
07-29-2005, 03:59 AM
does anyone know if topspin 2 will be available for regular xbox, or just the new xbox 360?

jpdabomb08
07-29-2005, 01:03 PM
I have Smash Court 2, and overall it's a decent game, but there's not much variety on the shots. And when the rally becomes long, it's either because you just can't hit a winner against your opponent or you're just fooling around. And when you're facing a serve-and-volleyer, its too easy to pass him off the return. So after a while I just play fancy and hit cross court running shots, etc. I've never been able to hit a 'super drop shot' though. The drop shots arn't realistic either.

armand
07-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Smash Court 2 is better at replicating tennis than Topspin but Topspin is just a deeper game overall. In Smash Court 2 the A.I. is extremely weak and the physics need work(ie the players run way too fast relative to the ball). Smash Court would be great if there were game play sliders(adjustments that you can make to said physics plus more) and of course a stronger computer opponent.

thejackal
07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I agree with adely. Gameplay sliders like in the EA games would greatly improve realism.

CoASH
07-29-2005, 10:07 PM
You just wish someone could just friggin look at what tennis on TV looks like so they don't have oversized players and balls (virtua), movement problems (smash court), ball dynamics (top spin) and etc etc. I'll pay triple to have a decent tennis game.

Shyyre
08-01-2005, 04:51 AM
i have it on good authority that topspin 2 is only available on the new xbox 360... around 300-500$ to start when it first comes out! still, all the still shots i've seen from games on this new system look sweet, especially topspin 2.

CoASH
08-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Outlaw Tennis

go_nadal
08-02-2005, 02:59 AM
mario tennis for nintendo 64!!

joeyscl
11-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Nintendo Wii TEnnis, BABUY

superstition
11-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Topspin 2 was called mediocre by two game sites.

Voltron
11-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Topspin 2 is really fun, you can actually miss on topspin and slice shots now.

DashaandSafin
11-26-2006, 09:24 AM
MAN! This thread is OOOOLD!

Haha...i remeber reading this 2 years go:o

Anyway, Smash Court Tennis...I would say rent it. I have it and it gets old quickly. Its based on how good your character is, not how good you are. The rallies never end, players loose stamina too quickly, and its pretty bland. Dont get Topspin for DS either, way too pixlated.

tennisfreak
11-26-2006, 09:31 AM
It's impossible to get them to be realistic. Top spin, I think, has done the best job so far.

But once you got used to placing the serves right at the corners every time (with the risk shots) and getting used to the timing on risk shot groundstrokes and volleys, it was really, really easy against anybody.

I think they should take those risk shots out. Keep the drop shots though, those were actually really effective, but only if you knew exactly what you were doing in specific situations.

Realism is overrated IMO. People just want to play a game where they'll have fun smashing winners down their opponents throats. Make it too realistic, and they'll chase people away.

I agree with whoever said Mario Tennis :)

Andy270211
11-27-2006, 06:06 AM
08-02-2005, 07:59 PM -> 11-26-2006, 03:35 PM

You are the god of Talk Tennis' search function.