PDA

View Full Version : My tennis lesson with Clint Stephenson (of DVD fame)

SC in MA
09-05-2007, 05:07 AM
I recently had the very good fortune to have a lesson with Clint Stephenson, who's probably best known for his instructional DVD. You can read more about the DVD here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=109629

As some background, I'm a USTA computer rated 4.5 player. I've always had a very consistent forehand, but not a big one, nor one that looks like the forehand seen on tour and shown in Clint's DVD. I really want to know how to hit the modern windshield-wiper forehand, so I decided to concentrate the lesson entirely on my forehand. Afterall, who better to learn it from than Clint!

First, let me say that Clint is an incredibly unassuming, down to earth guy, who's really easy to talk with. He's also very focused, patient, and generous with his time. And maybe most importantly, an excellent instructor. I think I got more out of this one lesson than any other lesson that I can recall. (More about that later.)

We started the lesson with a little mini-tennis. Clint then went over the details and importance of the grip, arm and body position and a few other pointers. He then had me go thru a few drills starting with a windshield wiper drill that gave me the feel for that part of the shot. This was extremely helpful.

Each drill progressively built upon the other. We eventually got to the point where we were exchanging forehands from the baseline, with Clint providing input along the way. Clint was mainly hitting rally balls, but every once in awhile he would effortlessly unload. Boy, what a sweet, resounding sound on contact, followed by a rocketing ball that would zoom right by me. The form was modern forehand perfect. It's pretty amazing and somewhat deceiving how fast that ball comes after being hit with that stroke.

After the lesson I won't say that my forehand is now magically transformed, but I certainly got a very good feel for, and insight into the stroke and I now have a much greater understanding of the mechanics behind it. That lesson definitely gave me a very solid base to work and build from. I think its pretty rare to learn from and actually hit with someone with world class strokes. The bottom line was, as I said, that I think I got more out of that lesson than any other lesson that I've ever had.

So, let me just wrap up by saying that if you ever have the opportunity for a lesson or clinic with Clint, do it. I really can't recommend him enough.

sharpy
09-05-2007, 06:34 AM
thanks for the review. how much did clint charge for the lesson?

JCo872
09-05-2007, 06:34 AM
I recently had the very good fortune to have a lesson with Clint Stephenson, who's probably best known for his instructional DVD. You can read more about the DVD here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=109629

As some background, I'm a USTA computer rated 4.5 player. I've always had a very consistent forehand, but not a big one, nor one that looks like the forehand seen on tour and shown in Clint's DVD. I really want to know how to hit the modern windshield-wiper forehand, so I decided to concentrate the lesson entirely on my forehand. Afterall, who better to learn it from than Clint!

First, let me say that Clint is an incredibly unassuming, down to earth guy, who's really easy to talk with. He's also very focused, patient, and generous with his time. And maybe most importantly, an excellent instructor. I think I got more out of this one lesson than any other lesson that I can recall. (More about that later.)

We started the lesson with a little mini-tennis. Clint then went over the details and importance of the grip, arm and body position and a few other pointers. He then had me go thru a few drills starting with a windshield wiper drill that gave me the feel for that part of the shot. This was extremely helpful.

Each drill progressively built upon the other. We eventually got to the point where we were exchanging forehands from the baseline, with Clint providing input along the way. Clint was mainly hitting rally balls, but every once in awhile he would effortlessly unload. Boy, what a sweet, resounding sound on contact, followed by a rocketing ball that would zoom right by me. The form was modern forehand perfect. It's pretty amazing and somewhat deceiving how fast that ball comes after being hit with that stroke.

After the lesson I won't say that my forehand is now magically transformed, but I certainly got a very good feel for, and insight into the stroke and I now have a much greater understanding of the mechanics behind it. That lesson definitely gave me a very solid base to work and build from. I think its pretty rare to learn from and actually hit with someone with world class strokes. The bottom line was, as I said, that I think I got more out of that lesson than any other lesson that I've ever had.

So, let me just wrap up by saying that if you ever have the opportunity for a lesson or clinic with Clint, do it. I really can't recommend him enough.

Great post!

We are lucky to have Clint around. His forehand model of torso rotation, bent arm, followed by the windshield wiper motion is the simplest, yet most accurate and complete description of the modern forehand I have come across.

Keep working on the wiper forehand and it will pay off big time!

adamvann
09-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I can vouch for SC's experience. I worked out with Clint last year and it was a great investment for my tennis. I hope he continues to do well in his coaching and business endeavors.

cstephenson
09-10-2007, 08:44 PM
SC thanks for the review! Really stoked that you enjoyed it. We'll have to do it again next year. Best Wishes.

Clint