PDA

View Full Version : Good and Cheap Tires?

TripleB
09-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Can anyone suggest a relatively cheap ($50-$70) tire to put on a Honda Accord (195/65/15)?

Some of my tennis buds have mentioned Cooper, GT, and Toyo, which are all around $60 a tire. Are any of these good?

Can you suggest others that are readily available?

Thanks.

TripleB

Sleepstream
09-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Search tire rack

I've had Bridgestone, Sumitomo, Yokohama, and Avid tires all on my car.

I've liked the Yokohama the best and Bridgestones are my second. The Avids were good, but they were strictly summer tires. The Sumitomos were decent for the price, but nothing spectacular.

I've always ordered my tires online, and I get them for about $50-60 cheaper per tire. But tires for my car are more expensive than yours, so it's hard to say how much you'd actually save.

max
09-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I recommend Coopers. This is the brand recommended by Consumer Reports, when I first went out buying tires. Avoid General Tires.

alpha
09-05-2007, 11:35 AM
You'd be suprised how competitive B&M shops are. Call discount tires. I got Yokohama's for about 54 bucks each (including insurance, mounting, etc)

Dedans Penthouse
09-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I always took Cliff Drysdale's advice:

"Michelob, because so much is riding on your tires."

AAAA
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
TripleB, as said already for safety reasons scrimping on tyres isn't advisable. Under normal use tyres can last several thousand miles so the quality tyre will probably cost less than an extra 10$ per thousand miles, a small price to pay for peace of mind and safety, your life.

blitzmage_89
09-06-2007, 04:34 PM
for me , my lancer evolution runs on Pirelli Tires during the winter and Falken during the rest of the year. Falken tires are durable and give you adequate amount of grip.

Banger
09-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Kumhos @Tire rack.com

ollinger
09-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Stick with one tennis racquet for a while, spare the expense of demos and probably new racquets, and use the money you save to buy decent tires for your family. They're worth more than the endless search for the perfect racquet.

TripleB
09-07-2007, 03:39 AM
Stick with one tennis racquet for a while, spare the expense of demos and probably new racquets, and use the money you save to buy decent tires for your family. They're worth more than the endless search for the perfect racquet.

The only reason I said "cheap" was because last time I went with BFGoodrich tires, which weren't cheap, and they didn't last any time at all. If a tire is not going to last then I might as well get a cheap set.

TripleB

09-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Cooper is a good price/performance (value) tire. Toyo and Kumho are too.

QuietDaze
09-07-2007, 06:24 AM
The only reason I said "cheap" was because last time I went with BFGoodrich tires, which weren't cheap, and they didn't last any time at all. If a tire is not going to last then I might as well get a cheap set.

TripleB

Maybe you can find used tires?