PDA

View Full Version : Johansson plays great.

Datacipher
10-31-2004, 12:00 PM
"This was probably my best match ever," said Johansson, who was unseeded in the $822,000 event.

"I can't remember when I played this well. Even if I had lost today I would have said this was one of my best matches."

"Thomas was too good today," said Agassi, still in the chase to qualify for a Masters Cup place next month.

"He hit too many good shots, his game was too strong. He played better for two of the three sets, the result was deserving. He did everything really well."

Remember Johansson has beaten the best before...while he is not one of the elite talents or one of the flashiest players this is the guy who schooled Safin to win his GS title.

peter
10-31-2004, 12:46 PM
This was definitely a match were everything worked for Thomas. Everything. It was really awesome to watch. A pity I didn't record it :-(.

From the second set and on Thomas was hitting all-out on almost all the shots and taking the ball early (almost Andre-style :-) and forcing Andre to run like he has never done before.

If Thomas can keep this style of play up then we swedes are back into really interesting times again :-)

With Thomas Johansson, Pim-Pim and Robin Söderling playing really well - and the "oldies" Thomas Enqvist and Jonas Björkman still going strong - we've got a lot of players to choose from in
the next Davis Cup match against France :-)

Feña14
10-31-2004, 12:57 PM
Couldn't agree more, one of the most underrated players in the game for sure.

People are so sure that his AO win was a fluke, I am sure it's not and wouldn't bet on him doing it again.

And what a backhand!!

SydW
10-31-2004, 08:57 PM
AO will probably be his only slam in the career, but that certainly wasn't a fluke.

peter
10-31-2004, 11:52 PM
There's some (Real) video footage from the final available at the
Swedish national TV website (in Swedish):

http://svt.se/sport

Click on the link "31/10 Johanssons sköna finalskräll" to see
some really nice action from the final.

Free_Martha
11-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks for that link peter. :)

Johansson must have played out of his mind to beat Agassi.

K!ck5w3rvE
11-01-2004, 09:38 PM
I thought it was Joachim...

Datacipher
11-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks for that link peter. :)

Johansson must have played out of his mind to beat Agassi.

Yes, good link Peter.

Agassi played well to...I've seen Johansson beat many good players...Kafelnikov, Safin, Courier etc... if he played the best match of his career then it's says something that the match still went down to the wire.