PDA

View Full Version : Baseball pitching machines for tennis?

RLFore
09-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Has anyone used baseball pitching machines for tennis practice?
I've found a few affordable but may not work with tennis balls due to the size:

Personal Pitcher $150
throws small wiffle balls at 55+mph
http://www.personalpitcher.com/

Crusher Minilite $130
throws smaller balls at 45mph
http://www.trendsports.com/cgi-bin/webdata_pro.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=products&keyval=products.code%3DCR129

mark rodgers
09-07-2007, 06:53 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is the distance between the feed wheels. Looks like the personal pitcher's "may" be ok. The trendsports I would say would not work unless the feel wheel distance is adjustable.

Also the motors on both are designed to throw hollow plastic balls which are much lighter than a tennis ball. If you put tennis balls in there, I'm sure the output speed of the ball would be much slower than the rated speed.

I noticed that the feed wheels for a pitching machine are mounted to the left and right of the ball to facilitate it throwing curve balls. On a tennis ball machine the feed wheels are above and below the ball for topspin and backspin.

If you want the machine to just throw you a ball then as long as a tennis ball will fit through the machine and the feed wheels are spaced properly then I guess you could use it. But both those machines look way too flimsy to me.

You could always email the seller and ask them if it works with tennis balls.

If you do end up getting one, please let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

phamphihung
09-07-2007, 07:51 AM
You said the baseball are lighter than tennis ball ?

mark rodgers
09-07-2007, 08:22 AM
If you go to the links that are provided, you'll see that the pitching machines are designed to throw hollow, plastic balls instead of real baseballs. Yes, these balls are much lighter than tennis balls.

RLFore
09-07-2007, 01:59 PM
I contacted the manufacturers, they do not work with tennis balls but one of them is in the works for a machine that'll work with tennis balls for early next year

TennisFrkJC92
09-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Wouldn't that be a little harsh on the strings because balls lose pace when it hits the ground but with a baseball machine you'd be hitting at the tennis balls straight from the air at a fast pace.

Mr. Hokey
09-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't that be a little harsh on the strings because balls lose pace when it hits the ground but with a baseball machine you'd be hitting at the tennis balls straight from the air at a fast pace.

...volley practice? i'm sure he intended to let it bounce first...