PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...about truth...

princess bossass
09-07-2007, 09:40 AM
This might seem like either a ho-hum question or an attempt to start an endless and pointless argument, but I'm genuinely curious to see where the numbers fall on this one. It seems to me that many arguments (including arguments on this board) stem from different takes on this particular question--and it seems to me that that's why such arguments will never, ever stop going in circles.

Please elaborate on your answer if you desire to do so.

princess bossass
09-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Also, I had difficulty with the options, and they're limited. Sorry.

Kaptain Karl
09-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I was bugged by the ... separation ... of the "yes" answers. Then I found out I could vote for more than one option.

I don't see Science and God as opponents, but Science is a system of God's creation.

- KK

princess bossass
09-07-2007, 10:07 AM
I was bugged by the ... separation ... of the "yes" answers. Then I found out I could vote for more than one option.

I don't see Science and God as opponents, but Science is a system of God's creation.

- KK

Sorry. I had a hard time trying to write "fair" options, that's why I chose the multi-choice option.

In all honesty, though I chose the "No... blah blah blah...language" option, I am actually halfway between that one and "I don't know...no access..." blah.

It always strikes me as funny to "absolutely" not believe in absolute truth. Tee-hee!

r2473
09-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.

There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil.

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coattails.

Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true.

Falsehood is easy, truth so difficult.

Like all dreamers I confuse disenchantment with truth.

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

The greatest enemy of any one of our truths may be the rest of our truths.

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four; calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

QuietDaze
09-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Good question - I'll have to come back to this one in a few hours.

maleyoyo
09-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I voted no... people create their own truths.
I think of absolute truth is whatever is ALWAYS valid regardless of parameters or context. I also believe that the only thing constant in our universe is change. Therefore, I can't imagine there is one exists to the best of my knowledge.
However, I can't conclude that there is no absolute truth either because logically speaking, that statement itself is fundamentally flawed.
How is that for circular logic ?:p

tricky
09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't want the truth, and I can't handle the truth. ;)

r2473
09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
It will depend on the type of truth in question. Some philosophy texts refer to 4 types of truth:

1) Personal Truth – A personal truth is what is true for an individual. Personal truths reflect physiological attributes, psychological tendencies and the learning and experiences of an individual. For example, "Vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate".

2) Social Truth – A social truth is what a distinct group perceives to “be so.” Social truths reflect group history, customs, and values. For example, "Sunday is a holy day".

3) Human Truth – A human truth reflects and pertains to the universal dispositions and abilities of our human species. Many things that we consider to be inherently true probably reflect distinctive features of human psychology. For instance, because human beings are primates that readily establish and acknowledge dominance hierarchies, the human individual may be predisposed to feeling that there is or could be some entity or force “greater than me,” whether or not that happens to be true.

4) Universal Truth - A universal truth is one that all sufficiently intelligent and educated observers, from this planet or any other (should they exist), would conclude to "be so." For instance, the proportion of a circle's circumference to its diameter is 3.141592 ( . . . ). This is a universal truth. Any capable, unbiased, individual could verify that truth. Similarly, that energy is equivalent to rest mass times the speed of light squared, is also a universal truth.

A universal truth is the only type of truth that is not relative to the person or group making the claim.

Science, by and large, provides us with universal truths, or at least aspires to. Religion, no doubt, reflects social truths, and perhaps, in some regards, human truths as well. What believers in a religion frequently fail to do is to put possible human truths and their own social truths into perspective.

princess bossass
09-07-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm disappointed by how few people have voted, considering how many have viewed the thread. Maybe the poll was too reading-intensive? ;)

r2473
09-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm disappointed by how few people have voted, considering how many have viewed the thread. Maybe the poll was too reading-intensive? ;)

OK. The only "Absolute Truths" are what I called "Universal Truths". These are ascertained by the combination of empirical observation and human reason.

r2473
09-07-2007, 01:37 PM
I voted no... people create their own truths.
I think of absolute truth is whatever is ALWAYS valid regardless of parameters or context. I also believe that the only thing constant in our universe is change. Therefore, I can't imagine there is one exists to the best of my knowledge.
However, I can't conclude that there is no absolute truth either because logically speaking, that statement itself is fundamentally flawed.
How is that for circular logic ?:p

"All bodies are extended".

"Not both 'X' and 'not X'".

D-man
09-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Truth is usually descriptive of something, not an object itself. An idea expressed in statement is "true" or "false." But that idea is usually applied to a verifiable method of other means of observation. Thusly, of course, it is generally a mental concept only, like math.

I can make a statement, such as, "I have a million dollars," and then I can declare that statement false in the light of my formula for determining whether the meaning in the words accords with how I would expect it to be by observation. But I can't go out and find "falseness."

In the sense of "absolute truth" do you mean a higher meaning to life, or do you mean some kind of over-arching scientific law, or do you speak of the possibility of something supernatural?

Or are you just going to let us all define "absolute truth" for ourself in our own minds, and then decide whether we think our own definition exists? Of course that isn't "absolute" at all, in the sense of universally consistent.

I would personally ascribe the term "absolute truth" to whatever experience I may have in life that would be most real, most powerful, most meaningful, and most explanatory for myself personally.

princess bossass
09-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Absolute truth is a pretty run-of-the-mill philosophical concept. Most of us at least have a working definition of it.

D-man
09-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Well, I don't think the definition makes sense, that's my point. Sorry that wasn't clear.

princess bossass
09-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Gotcha. I don't think the concept is sound, but that's probably because I don't believe in it. So my opinions about its definition probably get disqualified from the discussion! (: