PDA

View Full Version : Looking after #1

jings
03-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Sorry, another Fed-thread, but imo he REALLY cares about this #1 slot. I sense he's not happy with just getting it and losing it, he is very serious about hanging on to it for a long time. He's very aware of the ranking and I think really wants to live up to it. At risk of yet another Pete-parallel, this is yet another trait they both share.

Anonymous
03-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Agree with you whole-heartedly there jings.

roundiesee
03-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Plus I think they both won Wimbledon at around 22 years of age. Pete seemed to be a very introverted person who idolised Rod Laver and lists Holden Caulfield (Catcher in the Rye) as one of his role models. Fed appears to be more lively and bubbly and according to some of his fellow pros, a very approachable person. Let's hope Roger's "single-mindedness" will carry him to similar heights.

sarpmas
03-17-2004, 07:27 PM
The champions mentality of both Sampras and Federer is also very similar. After his lost to Edberg, Sampras became obsessed to become the best. Same for Federer, after his Wimbledon triumph, his aim in tournaments is no more quarter or semi finals, it's to win the tournament!

@wright
03-17-2004, 07:29 PM
I read an article saying Fed dislikes the kind of stardom he has back in Basel, but his favorite thing about being famous is when people tell him they enjoy watching him play or he is their favorite player.

jings
03-17-2004, 10:10 PM
He should pop his head round TW's door before a match, no shortage of praise and kind words hereabouts .... and still no coach