PDA

View Full Version : How to tell when tennis balls are dead?/When do you throw away tennis balls?

bluestreak711
09-07-2007, 11:39 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????

RLFore
09-08-2007, 12:31 AM
When they don't bounch as high as I like.
I think its subjective.
One man's dead ball is another man's ok ball

[ GTR ]
09-08-2007, 04:16 AM
I don't think you should throw away balls. You can use old ones on the wall, the more fluff is gone, the balls bounces higher.

raiden031
09-08-2007, 04:20 AM
I do the squeeze test. If it squeezes easily, its dead. If it is still very solid, then keep using it. Works like a charm.

bluestreak711
09-08-2007, 04:28 AM
When they don't bounch as high as I like.
I think its subjective.
One man's dead ball is another man's ok ball

ok how about by the lowest man's standards
i think i have some dead tennis balls that would be considered dead by everyone and i have some good one's

i don't pay attension how high they bounce each time i just know about where they at and set up to take a good shot

or what is the averages person's standards?

zacinnc78
09-08-2007, 08:37 AM
hold the ball at forhead height....drop....if it dont bounce to ur belly button its time to replace

TheShaun
09-08-2007, 08:49 AM
being the penny pincher that i am, i've often wondered this too. i hate having to pay $5 for a can of wilson us open. i even went as far as to wash about a 10 balls in the laundry sink last night, just to brighten them up a bit. first time i've done that, they look ok and the felt looks fine.

bluestreak711
09-09-2007, 09:57 AM
being the penny pincher that i am, i've often wondered this too. i hate having to pay $5 for a can of wilson us open. i even went as far as to wash about a 10 balls in the laundry sink last night, just to brighten them up a bit. first time i've done that, they look ok and the felt looks fine.

i know this might be a dumb comment but i hope you didnt wet them because i know if they get wet it can ruin them

the only way to prevent the ball from going bad if it gets wet is if youre there when it happens and play with it againt the wall and hit it hard and get all the water out

Fedace
09-09-2007, 10:04 AM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????

For me After 1 match that lasts 2 hours.

TheShaun
09-09-2007, 01:29 PM
i know this might be a dumb comment but i hope you didnt wet them because i know if they get wet it can ruin them

the only way to prevent the ball from going bad if it gets wet is if youre there when it happens and play with it againt the wall and hit it hard and get all the water out

oh they got wet alright. nothing wrong with them. had a three hour hit with them today, they were just fine. now they're ready for the practice bin.

enwar3
09-09-2007, 01:51 PM

USopens cost you 5 bucks?!? Here they go 2-2.50, 3 tops... =(

I feel for ya.

StealthGnome
09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
When I bounce the ball on my serve and it doesn't pop back into my hand. Then it's dead.

ofey
09-09-2007, 06:21 PM
hold the ball at forhead height....drop....if it dont bounce to ur belly button its time to replace

You do realise loads of us are of different heights so our foreheads and belly buttons are all at different levels.

bluestreak711
09-09-2007, 08:00 PM
You do realise loads of us are of different heights so our foreheads and belly buttons are all at different levels.

that's true and i didnt realize that
do you think they were talking about around a normal height between 5'5'' and 6'0''

JW10S
09-09-2007, 08:03 PM
A new ball dropped from head or shoulder height (regardless of size) will bounce a little more than 1/2 way back up. If the ball bounces less than 1/2 way back up it is dead, or at least going dead.

bluestreak711
09-09-2007, 08:04 PM
A new ball dropped from head or shoulder height (regardless of size) will bounce a little more than 1/2 way back up. If the ball bounces less than 1/2 way back up it is dead, or at least going dead.

well can you drop it 12'' and see if it will rise to 6''

volusiano
09-09-2007, 11:47 PM

Yeah, but hopefully the proportion (ratio) between the forehead height and the belly button height is fairly the same for most people of different heights. For example, with a tall person, the forehead is higher so the ball will bounce a little higher up to that tall person's belly button. With a shorter person, the forehead is not as high so the ball won't bounce as high, but hopefully still up to the lower belly button. So this rule of thumb is still valid regardless of the height.

If you want to be exact, on some website, it's said that the rules of tennis says that a ball dropped from 100" should bounce back to between 53" and 58".

volusiano
09-09-2007, 11:56 PM

If tennis balls are expensive where you live, why don't you buy a Tennis Ball Saver canister to keep your balls from losing pressure? They're only $8 a can on the internet and they can hold 3 balls each. They will pay for themselves in no time. I've personally use them and they keep the balls alive longer for me. Usually when I keep balls in these, I discard the balls because the felt would wear out before the balls lose too much pressure.

If you decide to buy them, I would highly recommend the yellow Tennis Ball Saver over the clear/see-through Gamma Revive canister. I have both and the yellow TBS cans still twist in and out easily, while the clear Gamma cans became much harder to twist after a very short while.

thundaga
09-10-2007, 02:53 AM
i can generally tell just by hittng the balls. when they are feeling too flat, i stop using them. simple.

morten
09-10-2007, 03:19 AM
where i live 4 balls cost about 20 us dollars

esm
09-10-2007, 03:55 AM
dead or near-dead balls are good for practicing serves.

Gorecki
09-10-2007, 04:22 AM
i see a lot of people talking about the bounce. what about the felt? is there a rule of thumb for the felt?

origmarm
09-10-2007, 04:25 AM
You can generally tell by hitting them, they feel different (literally dead as such) and they make a different sound when you hit them

slice bh compliment
09-10-2007, 06:30 AM

Hahahah, cool. I've never done that....but have you ever played right after the balls have been in the dryer? Unreal compression...just for a few minutes. Then they are dead again.

Dead balls....yeah, after a few sets, then a week in the hopper, they're ready to be donated.

I volunteer with a little kids PE program. It's inside on a wood floor and the dead balls from my hopper are perfect. So, definitely do not throw them in the trash. Donate them to a children's program or just drop them off at a school's courts, a convalescent home (for the bottoms of walkers) or at an elementary school (for the bottom's of chairs and desks). Teachers and coaches will love that.

Now, in BC, it's $5 Canadian bucks for a can of US Opens. Hmmm, what is that, like $3 and change in USD? I'm guessing. Not terrible, but maybe you can buy them in cases....for less. Ask a local pro to go in on a few cases with you so you all can save on shipping.

I do that, and it's the best deal. The club makes a few bucks off me, and I still save some money.

TheShaun
09-10-2007, 07:27 AM
^^^ i just let the balls air dry.

aidenous
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
I do the squeeze test. If it squeezes easily, its dead. If it is still very solid, then keep using it. Works like a charm.Yes, the squeeze test works for me also.

PimpMyGame
09-10-2007, 08:41 AM
As soon as you hit a dead ball you know it's dead. That's the only test that's required. When mine are dead I leave them in the park for the kids to take and think of it as my "good deed for the day".

BobFL
09-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Sound + flabby feel

bluestreak711
09-10-2007, 09:03 AM
As soon as you hit a dead ball you know it's dead. That's the only test that's required. When mine are dead I leave them in the park for the kids to take and think of it as my "good deed for the day".

well i was playing with one one day and my old tennis coach walked up and said he thought that that ball was dead and according to him he made it sound like it was 6 feet under a long time ago lol

bluestreak711
09-10-2007, 09:04 AM
i am learning but keep the dead tests coming along

bluestreak711
09-10-2007, 11:08 AM
dead or near-dead balls are good for practicing serves.

why is that?

forzainter
09-10-2007, 11:12 AM
i read on the us open website that you should drop them from a 100inch height and they should bounce like 50 inches high or something and that means they are good