PDA

View Full Version : I need to fill up my 75 capacity hopper... r practice balls good?

firstblud
09-08-2007, 01:25 AM
i am wondering if i should buy bulk tennis balls like the ones gamma sells... but im not sure if it will be worth the money and, instead, buy 10 cans of wilson balls (30 balls total)...

TheShaun
09-08-2007, 07:40 AM
are you looking for top quality balls? because you can get penn 4 ball cans from some of the big block sports stores for less than $2 per can. they're not the best balls but they do the job.

slice bh compliment
09-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Yeah for volume, the cheapies are there. But the worst thing about having a hopper is that the balls die after a week of use (or non-use).

I prefer to just buy a case or two at a time at a discount from my club's shop (no shipping, nice!). I go for the good balls that last (I like Dunlop Grand Prix hardcourts). I use them for playing, then stick them in the hopper for serves or whatever. ANd if I need to fill the hopper, I use the good ones, which hold up better.

Now, if you do not use your hoppper a ton, and pressure loss is more of a problem than felt wear....you might try a case of those Tretorn Micro X balls. They come in a bucket. Way better than the typical pressureless balls on the market.

tennisnj
09-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Even if you're just using them for practice, whether serves, or hitting a bucket of groundstrokes, stay FAR away from 'regular' Gamma practice balls. They're worse quality than any other brand's XXX or blemished balls. They don't even fit properly into ball machines. If you can, find Gamma PRO practice balls, they @ least are 'halfway' decent & are a major upgrade from the 'regular' Gamma practice balls.

Milano
09-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Dont get gamma practice balls. Bought 4 cans, out of them about 5 balls were dead out of the can, not even hit with once.

StealthGnome
09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I like slices method. Buy a box and use a can a week and when you're done, throw them in the hopper. I'll last you half a year. Rinse and repeat.

Mike Danger
09-09-2007, 08:42 PM
I always fill mine up with US open balls, they keep their bounce the longest,
Stay FAR away from Dunpops. they are dead in a week with out even hitting them! even penns dont last they long.
I go through 2-3 sets of 80 balls a year

LafayetteHitter
09-10-2007, 12:07 PM
If you take lessons you can always ask your coach, they usually have loads. Also another hint for the bargain hunter is to go out to your local courts after some league matches. Most of the time the league women's players just junk the balls after. Good way to find balls with only one match on them for free.

surfryder
09-10-2007, 11:19 PM
i use the penn pressureless balls....they hold up really well and have a pretty decent feel for them...when i switch to the pressurized us open balls i play games with, i notice they have similar feel on a lot of shots, but the pressurized balls seem to give me tons more pace.

AlexP
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Gamma balls are ****.
I bought a box of Prince Tour or something and they hold up very nice. Plus they spring quite a bit so it's great for practice.

Bubba
09-12-2007, 07:36 AM
My Costo sells a Wilson Championship 12 can 3 ball case for 17GBP... I buy them by the case, use them for a single session (or 2) then rotate them into my hopper. Great system. After they go flat in the hoppe my Yellow Lab gets them!!