PDA

View Full Version : Why is Gaudio in the Masters Cup and not Agassi?

BreakPoint
11-01-2004, 11:20 AM
I just checked the ATP Tour website and as of today, Agassi is 8th in the ATP Race and Gaudio is 10th. (BTW, Nalbandian is 9th.) So even if Agassi and Nalbandian both pull out of TMS Paris, they both still have more points than Gaudio. So why has Gaudio already qualified, but not Agassi nor Nalbandian? Are they expecting Gaudio to win Paris or something? And if he doesn't get very far, shouldn't Agassi be in since he is currently 8th? :? :?:

BTW, I could not find anything on the web site that says you are automatically in just because you win a Grand Slam (i.e., Gaudio's French Open title).

Vlad
11-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Gaudio only needed to be in top 20 in order to qualify, because he won French Open.

read this

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=1913756

rhubarb
11-01-2004, 11:26 AM
http://www.masters-cup.com/news/hewitt_gaudioq.asp

"...With the top seven finishers in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race qualifying for the Tennis Masters Cup, the eighth place goes to the highest-placed Grand Slam champion who finishes between eighth and 20th. With Hewitt reaching the US Open final and Federer having won the season's other two Grand Slam titles at the Australian Open and Wimbledon, Gaudio - currently in seventh position in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race - cannot finish outside the Top 20 and is therefore guaranteed a place in his first season-ending championships as a Grand Slam champion... "

(bear in mind this was written at the end of the US Open)

norcal
11-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Gaudio - currently in seventh position in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race - cannot finish outside the Top 20 and is therefore guaranteed a place in his first season-ending championships as a Grand Slam champion... "

Oh well, someone has to go 0-3 in round robin play!

Feņa14
11-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Yep seeing Gaudio playing with they big boys on the Hard court surface will be like a new version of Bamby :lol:

Vlad
11-01-2004, 12:36 PM
I highly doubt he will go 0-3. With so many injured players including Moya, Coria, Federer and Roddick somewhat.. there is a chance he might even make semis.

Fee
11-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Federer, Coria and Moya are all nursing injuries and are day-to-day for Houston, so Agassi and Nalbandian might both end up playing anyway.

big ted
11-01-2004, 01:35 PM
well i dont see agassi playing no matter what. he skipped wimbledon cuz his hip wasnt in good shape i dont see why he would play houston. also i cant picture him going there as an alternate with the possibility of not playing he'd probly rather be doing other things and then getting ready for the australian open

BigboyDan
11-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Any guesses on what this might portend?

"The directors of the Masters series tournaments held in Europe -- others are in Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg and Madrid -- are scheduled to meet Tuesday in Paris to discuss the escalating problem of top players pulling out."

guernica1
11-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Gaudio has the skills to win at least a match.

the man to beat
11-02-2004, 05:44 AM
Gaudio - Roddick could be a really interesting match if both play around B + standard - we'd need a minimum of doubles from good old Gaston though!

rhubarb
11-02-2004, 05:55 AM
Federer - Gaudio could also be interesting; Gaudio has choked in both the last two matches, when he could have won them.

SydW
11-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Ever wonder how good Gaudio can be if he is not such a choker? I always wonder. Many talk about him like he can't play tennis and got lucky in RG, but those who had watched enough of his matches know how good he can be.

Rickson
11-02-2004, 07:33 AM
I hate Gaudio. Gaudio did not win RG, Coria handed it to him.

Rabbit
11-02-2004, 08:36 AM
You, evidently, saw a different match than I.

@wright
11-02-2004, 09:02 AM
This is funny that Gaudio can be called a choker when he won RG this year. It would make more sense to label him a Grand Slam Champion than a choker. If you were the one who beat Coria in the final I bet you wouldn't think of yourself as a choker no matter what else happened in 2004. He could have lost every single match he played this year except for the 7 he won at RG, and I would label his year as a success.

BiGGieStuFF
11-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Well if he lost every match except those at RG then he would be considered a fluke. :)

MusterFan
11-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Gaudio choking at Roland Garros? Don't know about that. Personally, I define a "choke" as allowing victory to slip away...victory that should NEVER have been in question. Sure, Gaston played nervously and struggled with his form. But, despite being a heavy underdog versus Coria, the guy found a way to win. He hung in there and fought and ultimately closed out the match. It was gutsy stuff. Certainly no choke.

Gaudio can play some decent tennis on cement. He straight-setted Agassi in 2001 at TMS Cincinnati, and gave Federer all Roger could handle at TMS Montreal in 2003. But, Gaston has also stunk up the place something awful during other hardcourt matches -- playing just horrid tennis. He absolutely loathes anything other than clay, and that negativity wreaks havoc with his willingness to battle. Lacking inspiration and/or confidence, a mentally wayward Gaudio can lose in a big way to anyone. Like guernica1 said, Gaudio has the skills to do some modest damage in Houston. But, I don't see him making a lot of noise against the best in the world with a hostile surface under his Diadoras. Hope I'm wrong, though.

BreakPoint
11-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Gaudio choked at the French Open? I'd say Coria was the one that choked!

BiGGieStuFF
11-02-2004, 11:59 AM
To be a choker you have to be in a position of winning and then let it slip away.

In this case Coria is the choker. Gaston is the untapped potential OR he could be just a fluke. I'm betting on fluke.

raven5288
11-02-2004, 08:35 PM
yeah, RG was for Coria to win.....

K!ck5w3rvE
11-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Gaudio is awesome. 2nd best backhand in the mens game.

Ryoma Kun
11-03-2004, 05:39 PM
as rickson said, gaudio didnt win it, coria just lost it

Max G.
11-03-2004, 09:01 PM
as rickson said, gaudio didnt win it, coria just lost it

A win is a win. Whether Coria loses it or Gaudio wins it, the end result is the same - Game, Set, Match, Championship to Gaudio.

davey25
11-04-2004, 08:12 AM
You are wrong Rhubarb. Gaudio did not choke in his two near-wins over Federer. Roger who was playing terrable for his standards both days, chose to start playing tennis at the end and there was nothing Gaudio could do. I saw both matches of course. Gaudio's game is not impressive on fast courts. Any time I have seen him do well he has had assistance.

the man to beat
11-10-2004, 04:22 AM
still... gaston has a really cool slide... he's a good kid

rafael
11-10-2004, 08:48 AM
You guys act like he didn't play incredible tennis just to get to the finals. Lets not forget the *** kicking he handed to hewitt. Once guadio and coria both settled their nerves, they played outstanding tennis.

norcal
11-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Gaudio - currently in seventh position in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race - cannot finish outside the Top 20 and is therefore guaranteed a place in his first season-ending championships as a Grand Slam champion... "

Oh well, someone has to go 0-3 in round robin play!

In hindsight the FO finalists went 0-6, 0-12 in sets. Maybe the FO should be relagated to Masters Series status and the Dubai 'duty free' Open should be the fourth slam. They have so much money they could offer the winner 500 million. Just an idea...

the man to beat
10-16-2005, 04:38 AM
So if someone comes along who is as talented as Roger and demonstrates the same winning ability, he won't be the next Federer -- he will be what he is. Guys with that type of ability and record are in a class by themselves.

ability

very useful

m m m