PDA

View Full Version : Have a laugh at my vids

danielpreston
09-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Seriously though ..... after you've had a good laugh ... what NTRP would you put me at .... and why?

Be as constructively critical as you like.

They're all here:

www.danpreston.co.uk

ENJOY!

TheShaun
09-08-2007, 12:25 PM
cool site. so are you in the US now?
i'm by no means qualified to comment on your rating, so i will not. but if i know these boards, you're going to get jumped on about classifying yourself as a 5.0-5.5.
best of luck :)

danielpreston
09-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Not yet Shaun ... I'm playing tennis full-time for 12 months until Fall 2008. Then out to the US. Had a disastrous year with injury ... but that's behind me now and all the academic stuff too.

Thanks for looking

PimpMyGame
09-08-2007, 12:29 PM
I just wanted to say I took one look at your thread title and thought "what a cruel father, wanting us to laugh at his kids".

lol more haste less speed lol

danielpreston
09-08-2007, 01:43 PM
"what a cruel father, wanting us to laugh at his kids".

Finally got it! Sorry to be a bit slow!:)

XhotXEX1290
09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
definitely a strong player, i would say the rating is pretty close, at least 4.5 here in the US thats for sure.

J-man
09-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey Dan thanks for the video's. Love the tiebreak video, with the scoreboard and all. Keep playing. Look like your pretty good.

Rafa freak
09-08-2007, 06:48 PM
"what a cruel father, wanting us to laugh at his kids".

Finally got it! Sorry to be a bit slow!:)

Not kids vids.

tennispro11
09-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Great stuff DP! How long have you been playing? Are you coming to the states to play in college? I would say you are at least a 4.5.

danielpreston
09-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Great stuff DP! How long have you been playing? Are you coming to the states to play in college? I would say you are at least a 4.5.

Thanks mate!

I've been playing tennis since 10 years, and competitively since 13 yrs. I regret starting tournies a little late. Been playing catch up ever since.

I'm hoping to get to the States in Fall 2008. Looking for a college with strong academics and tennis. I'm not sure I'm good enough for ranked D1 yet.

Thanks for your rating assessment ... in the UK I'm a 3.2, but this doesn't easily convert to the NTRP.

Cheers:D

Duzza
09-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Great site Dan! I learnt all about the SATs, GPA and stuff the other day in a meeting with a College Scholarship guy.

I'm 17, been playing for probably the same time as you and pretty similar academic results too.

I would be really interested to hear if you get in or not though, so I'll keep updated on your site.

You've obviously put a heap of effort into the process (more than me). Hope you get an offer!

Punisha
09-09-2007, 04:40 AM
mmm 2.5 for strokes.... 6.5 for the accent

danielpreston
09-09-2007, 04:42 AM
mmm 2.5 for strokes.... 6.5 for the accent

Nice one! I trust you speak with an American accent? lol

diegaa
09-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Nice to see the serve&volley component of your game. Loved the last point of tie break #3.

goober
09-09-2007, 06:16 AM
You look pretty close to your rating to me. Your academics are in order which is a huge plus. 5.0-5.5 should get lower level D1 or good D2. Good luck

danielpreston
09-09-2007, 06:31 AM
You look pretty close to your rating to me. Your academics are in order which is a huge plus. 5.0-5.5 should get lower level D1 or good D2. Good luck

Sooooooo helpful ... thanks goober!

I'm thinking about taking SAT again, to get over 1300 / 1950 mark. The SAT is a really strange exam to us Brits. I know we both speak English, but the vocabulary of your American exams like SAT is just so different and difficult!

I'm gonna need an academic scholarship .... I'm not sure I can survive financially on just a sports scholarship ... unless there's someone out there wanting to give me a 100%. Hey, don't hesitate!;)

babolat15
09-09-2007, 06:32 AM
not bad, keep us posted on how you do

goober
09-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Sooooooo helpful ... thanks goober!

I'm thinking about taking SAT again, to get over 1300 / 1950 mark. The SAT is a really strange exam to us Brits. I know we both speak English, but the vocabulary of your American exams like SAT is just so different and difficult!

I'm gonna need an academic scholarship .... I'm not sure I can survive financially on just a sports scholarship ... unless there's someone out there wanting to give me a 100%. Hey, don't hesitate!;)

Well unfortunately full ride academic scholarships for foreigners are pretty hard to come by. Unless you have connections to a particular college you have to be really outstanding academically. I can tell you right now your academic credentials, while very good, would be unlikely to land you such a scholarship. Colleges are going to want you because you can help their tennis team. Sad truth.

You may be able to make ends meet with a part time job and working full time during summer breaks.

danielpreston
09-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Well unfortunately full ride academic scholarships for foreigners are pretty hard to come by. Unless you have connections to a particular college you have to be really outstanding academically. I can tell you right now your academic credentials, while very good, would be unlikely to land you such a scholarship. Colleges are going to want you because you can help their tennis team. Sad truth.

You may be able to make ends meet with a part time job and working full time during summer breaks.

Once again, very helpful!

I wasn't meaning a 100% academic scholarship ... I think I'd have to be Einstein! A smaller unranked D2 college came up with a package of 50% tennis and 25% academic, if I was willing to go a year early.

My understanding is that private colleges can give scholarship to any beggar, whereas state colleges must give to nationals only. I think that's only fair. Do you know any different?:)

goober
09-09-2007, 07:16 AM
My understanding is that private colleges can give scholarship to any beggar, whereas state colleges must give to nationals only. I think that's only fair. Do you know any different?:)

There are so many foreign players on D1 teams at public universities that I don't think that is completely true. I think a lot of coaches will finagle the finances if they want you bad enough, but some of the current college players that post on these boards would probably know better.

Adam
09-09-2007, 07:46 AM
You got MSN Dan , I'd like to ask you some things

tennispro11
Thanks mate!

I've been playing tennis since 10 years, and competitively since 13 yrs. I regret starting tournies a little late. Been playing catch up ever since.

I'm hoping to get to the States in Fall 2008. Looking for a college with strong academics and tennis. I'm not sure I'm good enough for ranked D1 yet.

Thanks for your rating assessment ... in the UK I'm a 3.2, but this doesn't easily convert to the NTRP.

Cheers:D

Well IMO, I played four years at college and I think that you would do well at a D2 college. Pretty stiff competition but I think you would do well and you could get maybe 60 to 75 percent of your college paid for. When you come to the states you need to get rated by a guy that is 5.0 or higher. That should help you judge how well you will do in college a little bit. I have known some guys that got prolly 80 percent of their schooling paid for at a DI school. They were foreign too. If you are good enough the schools will try to get you with just about everything they have to offer.

JRstriker12
"Can't Touch This!" LOL!!!!!!

Great choice in sound track. Good strokes too.

JR

danielpreston
09-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Just want to thank those that have posted replies ... it's been a steep learning curve.

Anyone else want a laugh? www.danpreston.co.uk - then your honest comments.

Cheers

danielpreston
09-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Only 324 views ... there's definitely not enough laughing on this forum!

SoBad
09-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey Daniel - nice videos, and the soundtrack is funny, like Roger said. As for the number of views, don't take it personally. I think you would have gotten more activity with a different thread title. It's just that people post "funny vid" threads all the time with random youtube links of vids they found funny, and most of the time they are not that funny and not worth clicking, so when a thread title like that shows up especially from an unfamiliar new forum member, people are reluctant to click.

Also I was watching some Davis Cup a few days ago and a commentator said that Alexander Waske didn't start playing until he was 14, and got a scholarship to play college tennis in the U.S., and even wound up making a living playing pros (doubles mostly). So you can definitely do it.

StealthGnome
09-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Nice website.
Good luck in the US.