PDA

View Full Version : need your opinions: yonex supergrap vs wilson pro overgrip

gerikoh
09-09-2007, 08:13 AM
i can't decide and i'm about to buy some 50pcs.. i don't want to waste my money so i need your opinion about the some factors according to my priority>tackyness>durability>softness>thickness.. and i don't like white color. i prefer blue, teal, indigo or gray thanks :)

StealthGnome
09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Yonex is very tacky. It has a weird feel after it's used.
I bought all 10 different colors of SuperGrap for fun. I have 3 or 4 rolls left. The colored definitely feels different from the white.
The tackyness is taking a toll on my hand. It grabs the skin and creates blisters on my hand.
I'm growing more fond of the Wilson Pro now.
Softer. That's all I need right now.

Dashbarr
09-18-2007, 06:59 PM
they, for the most part, are the exact same overgrip.

JediMindTrick
09-24-2007, 09:48 AM
They are the same, just get the cheaper one. Or better yet, get the Tournagrip.

gerikoh
09-24-2007, 09:53 AM
i've tried them all. supergrap is just way too tacky for me and it easily looses it as soon as i get sweaty

pro overgrip is above average on tackyness and lasts longer

tournagrip has the best longivity especially for sweaty hands but i find the tackyness less than what i need

overall i find the pro overgrip just right

AmericanTemplar
09-24-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm confused--why did you ask the question if you can already answer it yourself?

I've never used Wilson Pro, but I am currently using Supergrap and I like it quite a bit. The one problem is as StealthGnome pointed out: the tackiness can pull ones skin and cause blisters or more caluses.

I used Tournagrip for a long time and never thought to try anything different, but the problem with tournagrip is that it lacks durability and it doesn't work until my hands start sweating.

Lefty5
09-25-2007, 10:59 AM
If Tourna Grip lacks some tackiness that you crave, try the Tourna Grip 2. Tried it, loved it, hooked on it!

tbini87
09-25-2007, 11:16 AM
very similar grips. would go for the supergrab because they are cheaper. tons of colors for both grips too which is a bonus for you i guess. and i have never had problems with blisters or getting skin ripped off, i guess your hands just need some time to adapt and roughen up.

krchawaii
09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I use the Wilson Pro Overgrip and the feel is great.
Some complain about it being a little "spongy", but if you like comfort and a soft tacky feel, this is the grip for you.

almerickso
09-25-2007, 06:51 PM
From my experience, the Yonex SuperGrap is a bit on the thicker side compared to Wilson Pro Overgrip. Just slightly thicker even after pulling them tight.

The SuperGrap is indeed very tacky... almost to the extent of being sticky. So much so that any off center hit on even a stable racquet will cause ur skin to be ripped off the flesh (if you dont play tennis often) resulting in blood under your skin but if you play often, you'll just get blisters. That said, no matter how much you sweat for the first few times ur using it, its still somewhat dry.

Wilson Pro Overgrip feels like plastic. Like u took a piece of rubberish cloth and poured a layer of plastic over it. The tackyness is there but it doesnt feel like a grip (and yes i took out the plastic thing on it before I put it on the racquet :p ) after the plasticy feeling has worn out, it feels ok for a while then it becomes soggy. It gets soggy really fast cuz its humid where I come from.

If you are interested in another one, try Tourna Grip II even when the initial tacky coating is worn out its still pretty tacky and nice soft feel. I tend to use the Tourna II longer than the other overgrips cuz they still feel good even after long usage.

TennisFrkJC92
09-25-2007, 07:28 PM
i use both... I have wilson leftover but i've started buying yonex now since they're almost identical and yonex is noticeably cheaper. Go with the yonex

Chauvalito
09-25-2007, 07:53 PM
they, for the most part, are the exact same overgrip.

exactly, I am referring to the white ones, I have not used the color versions.

They are both made in Indonesia, and becasue of the similarity in feel, and the similar tapes that come with themm...

I suspect they are made at the same factory.

The only difference being that Yonex specifies a thicker material than Wilson does.

Klatu Verata Necktie
09-25-2007, 08:01 PM
If you buy the same color, they are identical. Not similar . . . identical! Different colors may feel somewhat different considering their different pigment contents.

nn
09-25-2007, 08:36 PM
he doesn't like white color so which one is cheaper in color?? I think Yonex. I have tried wilson pro and yonex in white and color (a lot). As my hands are sweaty I like them for 2-3 times after that they become slippery (I mean can't hold the racquet compare to fresh one). Right now using Toruna which takes sweat and holds the racquet same way as fresh one.

You can use reverse side all of them but wilson & yonex feels harsh on hands not tourna which feels same on both sides.

SoBad
09-25-2007, 08:40 PM
I went from Wilson to Yonex overgrip because Yonex one is better and also the company has a better image. I suggest you include a poll in your thread, and then you can easily see the opinion split, instead of having to read all the crazy reply posts.

gerikoh
09-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm confused--why did you ask the question if you can already answer it yourself?

I've never used Wilson Pro, but I am currently using Supergrap and I like it quite a bit. The one problem is as StealthGnome pointed out: the tackiness can pull ones skin and cause blisters or more caluses.

I used Tournagrip for a long time and never thought to try anything different, but the problem with tournagrip is that it lacks durability and it doesn't work until my hands start sweating.
like this was over a month old ago. so i had found the answers for myself
i didn't like the yonex coz the traction is too much, and i feel like a lot of difference when my hands go sweating.

tournagrip was my choice but it doesn't have that much stock in my area so i choose wilson.

LazyAzN
09-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Yonex Supergrap feels like it's going to rub your skin off your hand if you have dry hands. Otherwise, if you accumulate too much sweat on the overgrip, then it begins to slip out of your hands. Wilson Pro Overgrip on the other hand doesn't have as much tack to begin with, but IMO it feels better after having your hands sweat. It's all up to the conditions you live in.

hershey999
10-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Supergrap's more tacky, so it's worst on your hand. But Wilson white grips are less durable. Supergrap has mroe colors. I would suggest pro overgrip cause you're buying in mass. Supergrap might cause some blisters if you use it too much. But if your hands are rough enough you could probably get away with supergrap.

jamauss
10-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Supergrap 30-packs. It's all I've bought for a few years now.

IMO, Nothing compares to a brand-new freshly applied Supergrap overgrip. Uber-tacky.

gerikoh
10-09-2007, 09:20 PM
i have sweaty hands so a bought the wilson.

anyway, i'll try the tournagrip the next time i buy

bagung
10-09-2007, 09:36 PM

for sweaty hands, nothing is better than tournagrip

rommil
10-09-2007, 09:48 PM

Invest on wristbands and towels too.

TheShaun
10-09-2007, 10:13 PM
just re-gripped my racquet and put a super grap on it for the first time. feels great hopefully it will absorb enough sweat. i usually use a turnagrip.

gerikoh
10-10-2007, 01:37 AM
yeah. i wasn't satisfied with wilson pro. though it has an unmatchable feel. but it's just an overgrip anyway so i guess i'd rather go for the tournagrip, i don't want to be changing racquets just because of a ruined overgrip.