PDA

View Full Version : Which pressureless ball for ball machine?

RLFore
09-10-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm on a budget and need balls for a ball machine.
I would love to get the Tretorn Micro X but they are out of my price range.
I've narrowed my choices to:

Gamma Pressureless - $30 for 48 balls
Penn Pressureless - $40 for 48 balls
Wilson Pressureless - $7 a dozen so $28 for 48 balls (from Wal-mart)
Unique Pressureless - $52 for 60 balls pro-rated to $41.60 for 48 balls for comparison
W (Wilson) Team Pressureless - $60 for 60 balls pro-rated to $48 for 48 balls for comparison
Slazenger Pressureless - $30 for 48 balls
Slazenger Permanent Pressure - $15 for 18 balls pro-rated to $40 for 48 balls for comparison
Gamma Permanent Pressure - $15 for 18 balls pro-rated to $40 for 48 balls for comparison

I've read many people don't like Gamma which I've used before and I agree are hard and the felt wears away fast and seems like they bounce higher and are faster as they age.
I've read a few good posts on the Penn and W Team balls but not many to persuade my choice

Would permanent pressure balls be softer than pressureless balls? And would they last as long?

What's your vote?

mrw
09-10-2007, 05:45 AM
I use Slazenger Pressureless @ $30. per bucket.

Ball machines eat balls. I wouldn't spend big bucks on them.

Serve em Up
09-10-2007, 05:59 AM
Can't say much about the choices except to seer clear of the Gamma. I bought them on no less than 3 different occasions with the same result. They cracked at the seams and the felt got all nappy on them. They are NASTY!

dougmatic
09-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I bought a bucket of the regular gamma pressureless balls, haven't had any problem with them after hitting them for a few hours. Don't know how they compare to the other ones though, but they seemed normal to me. Just got them at my local g o l f s m i t h

RLFore
09-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Just ordered a bucket of 48 Slazenger Pressureless balls
I noticed the same website I ordered them from also sold Slazenger Permanent Pressure balls in an 18 pack.

Any clue on the differences? Or are they the same

SFrazeur
09-12-2007, 11:06 PM
RLFore, please respect TW forum Policy and not post competitor links.
TW pays for this forum not the competitors.
Links to them, are scrambled for a reason.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3#post3

-SF

skandy
03-11-2008, 08:40 PM

Hi mrw, I wonder where do you buy them?

beth14
03-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I wanted the Tretorn MIcro x as well, but passed for the same reason. I ended up getting a net of twelve Wilson Pressureless balls for $6.84 at my local Wal-Mart. It was the best price I found and they are working just fine. I bought all 9 nets they had in the store and am currently waiting for a restock.

beth14
03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Oooops sorry for the reference to Sam Walton's place.....

skandy
03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi mrw, I wonder where do you buy them?

Nevermind - I found them in my local D i c k s store.

kopfan
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Gamma O is really nasty. Penn in the zipped bag are nasty too.
I am considering Wilson W Team and ?Tretorn Micro X.
Did anyone know how is Wilson W Team? btw.. does Penn in bucket of 48 feel better than those in mesh or zipped bag?

Bud
06-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Gamma O is really nasty. Penn in the zipped bag are nasty too.
I am considering Wilson W Team and ?Tretorn Micro X.
Did anyone know how is Wilson W Team? btw.. does Penn in bucket of 48 feel better than those in mesh or zipped bag?

Go for the Tretorns... you can't beat them and they last forever... without losing their bounce. They are absolutely perfect for a ball machine.

mrw
06-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Slazenger pressureless no longer available at D I C K S. a buyer canceled them.

Slazenger Wimbledon cans of four still available though.

Bud
06-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Ball machines eat balls. I wouldn't spend big bucks on them.

Ball machines don't eat Tretorn Micro X balls. They last for ages. If anything, they bounce higher as they age.

rfprse
06-06-2009, 09:05 AM
If anyone had any experience with Dunlop pressureless, would you give a feedback?

Bud, Tetron balls seem to cost more than twice as much as the other pressureless balls.
I also thought about getting those but am having a second thought.
Do you think it's worth the price difference? Thanks.

tennisnut16
06-07-2009, 04:39 AM
What are your opinions on Penn Pressureless 48 and Wilson Team 90 (Both from TW). Are they the best besides tretorn?

tennisnut16
06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Anybody? My ball machine is in the mail and I would like to get some nice balls so I can hit with it. What is the consensus? Which balls are best?

ClarkC
06-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm on a budget and need balls for a ball machine.
I would love to get the Tretorn Micro X but they are out of my price range.

Penny wise, pound foolish is the proverb that comes to mind.

delphi17
06-10-2009, 04:43 AM
Penny wise, pound foolish is the proverb that comes to mind.
i think you can simplify it into M-A-L-E , hahaa

charliefedererer
06-11-2009, 07:07 PM
The felt on the Penn pressureless ball seems as good as on their pressurized balls. I've been using them for a couple of months in my ball machine, and they are retaining their bounce.

tennisnut16
06-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Do you know if Dunlop has pressureless balls? Their pressurized balls are really good IMO.

todd03blown
06-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Go for the Tretorns... you can't beat them and they last forever... without losing their bounce. They are absolutely perfect for a ball machine.

Thanks bud, I just bought 2 buckets of the 72 count each for my new silent partner pro ball machine!!

FaultsNAces
06-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Tretorn Micro-X are the cheapest and best, by far, if you intend to use the machine for any length of time.

Yes, they are more expensive initially, but they last forever, or at least until you hit them over the fence.... I'm still using the original 190 balls I got with my Playmate from over a year ago, and I hit with the machine for 3-6 hours per week -- well, actually I'm down to about 110 or so original balls, having hit a bunch over the fence and lost them....

As the Micro-X balls age, the outer fuzz comes off leaving a tough under-felt that results in the ball flying a little faster and bouncing a little higher on most courts (depends on the grippy-ness of the surface).

I did manage to break a Micro-X ball once: hitting against a rough concrete wall, after about 45 minutes the ball gave out a white puff as it hit the wall.... So don't use them against a wall, unless the wall is smooth!

ipitythefool
09-24-2009, 04:41 AM
This may sound like a totally stupid question. But do the ball machines only work with pressureless balls? Not normal balls?

I am thinking of buying a ball machine, but I live in overseas and cant find pressureless balls here.

Thanks!

Il Mostro
09-24-2009, 04:48 AM
This may sound like a totally stupid question. But do the ball machines only work with pressureless balls? Not normal balls?

I am thinking of buying a ball machine, but I live in overseas and cant find pressureless balls here.

Thanks!

My machine works the same with both pressureless and pressurized balls. I currently have about a 50-50 mix of Penn pressurelss and a variety of pressurized balls. They all throw the same. Just got a 72-ball bucket of Tretorns and will make the switch when the 96-ball bucket I ordered from another source comes in. Hope these are all they are cracked up to be since the cost equates to a *lot* of IPA.

ipitythefool
09-24-2009, 06:21 AM
^^ So basically whether a machine only uses pressureless or normal, depends on the machine? Some machines use only pressureless? Thanks.

LeftyServe
09-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Tretorn Micro X, hands down. Not only do they last forever with a true bounce, but they're also lighter than your normal brick-like pressureless ball.

treo
09-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Micro X is the best but I like to mix it up with a variety of pressure and pressureless balls. I have a Tennis Tutor Jr. which doesn't have a random function so mixed balls gives me more variety. A few dead balls keeps you on your toes for the drop shot!

Bud
09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Tretorn Micro X, hands down. Not only do they last forever with a true bounce, but they're also lighter than your normal brick-like pressureless ball.

Agreed. By far the best ball for a ball machine if you seek a nice consistent throw and bounce.

volusiano
09-25-2009, 02:58 AM
^^ So basically whether a machine only uses pressureless or normal, depends on the machine? Some machines use only pressureless? Thanks.

As long as your pressurized (normal) balls are not flat, you will not see a difference against the pressureless type. But when they go flat, the throw will become inconsistent just because they're flat now. That's the main reason why people use pressureless balls, to have a consistent throw, since they will never go flat.

ipitythefool
09-25-2009, 03:55 AM
As long as your pressurized (normal) balls are not flat, you will not see a difference against the pressureless type. But when they go flat, the throw will become inconsistent just because they're flat now. That's the main reason why people use pressureless balls, to have a consistent throw, since they will never go flat.

Volusiano, now I understand. THANKS!

ipitythefool
09-25-2009, 03:56 AM
By the way, if anyone reads this: I am in the market in search of a light, portable non-pneumatic and reasonably priced ball machine. And the seller must agree to shipping overseas (where I am...these machines cost an arm and a leg on )

I can NOT find a partner here...

Hominator
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Are all the negative reviews of Gamma pressureless balls limited to use with a ball machine? I just bought a bucket of Gamma balls for my ball hopper to teach my wife and am wondering if I should return them...

Thanks.

volusiano
09-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Are all the negative reviews of Gamma pressureless balls limited to use with a ball machine? I just bought a bucket of Gamma balls for my ball hopper to teach my wife and am wondering if I should return them...

Thanks.

If you're talking about the Gamma Bucket of 48 pressureless balls that sells for around $30, then yes, they're worthless in my opinion and it's not just limited to the use of them in a ball machine. I bought a bucket and after a few use, I don't use them anymore and they've been sitting in my closet for the last few years. Worst 30 bucks I've ever spent on anything tennis.

The reason they're bad is because they feel too soft when you hit them, almost like hitting flat balls. What's the point then? Might as well hit regular flat balls. The only difference is they bounce a little higher than flat balls because they're pressureless.

And their felt is totally inferior to almost any other balls I've seen because the felt shags up to little clumps that looks like goose bumps on the ball after they've been used a few times.

And they're actually a little smaller than a regular size ball if you compare them side by side.

The only thing they have going for them is that they keep their bounce. But they better have that at least since they're sold as pressureless balls.

But I gotta admit that they're very cheap (inexpensive, but I still prefer to say "cheap":)). So if your wife is just a beginner and you don't want to spend more $ on something like the Tretorn MicroX, then maybe she wouldn't notice a difference anyway.

Hominator
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
If you're talking about the Gamma Bucket of 48 pressureless balls that sells for around $30, then yes, they're worthless in my opinion and it's not just limited to the use of them in a ball machine. I bought a bucket and after a few use, I don't use them anymore and they've been sitting in my closet for the last few years. Worst 30 bucks I've ever spent on anything tennis.

The reason they're bad is because they feel too soft when you hit them, almost like hitting flat balls. What's the point then? Might as well hit regular flat balls. The only difference is they bounce a little higher than flat balls because they're pressureless.

And their felt is totally inferior to almost any other balls I've seen because the felt shags up to little clumps that looks like goose bumps on the ball after they've been used a few times.

And they're actually a little smaller than a regular size ball if you compare them side by side.

The only thing they have going for them is that they keep their bounce. But they better have that at least since they're sold as pressureless balls.

But I gotta admit that they're very cheap (inexpensive, but I still prefer to say "cheap":)). So if your wife is just a beginner and you don't want to spend more $ on something like the Tretorn MicroX, then maybe she wouldn't notice a difference anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just keep them since I'm just feeding my wife balls. Wait...that didn't come out right...:)

Bud
10-03-2009, 02:48 AM
By the way, if anyone reads this: I am in the market in search of a light, portable non-pneumatic and reasonably priced ball machine. And the seller must agree to shipping overseas (where I am...these machines cost an arm and a leg on )

I can NOT find a partner here...

Sounds like a personal problem... how's your hygiene? :twisted:

BTW, I sold my SP Star to a fellow in Scotland and the shipping alone was $212.00 :shock:

Bud
10-03-2009, 02:54 AM

Thanks.

Definitely return them and buy a bucket of Tretorns for a bit of extra $$. You can use them forever and they never lose their bounce.

Booyah
10-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Gamma Pressureless. Best deal, they last forever.

Bud
10-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Gamma Pressureless. Best deal, they last forever.

I disagree. They are junk.

mark999
10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
tretorn pro-lite pressureless tennis balls on sale for $60.00 on closeout. 90 ball bucket.

FuriousYellow
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I disagree. They are junk.

Second. I bought a few bags of them and many of them were lopsided and didn't bounce straight.

FuriousYellow
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
tretorn pro-lite pressureless tennis balls on sale for $60.00 on closeout. 90 ball bucket.

Link?

10 char

mark999
10-07-2009, 08:54 AM
rocky mountain sports. ask for chris munson. google it for website.

PittaPaolo
11-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Hello everyone!

Today Ill get my new ball machine. I bought Babolat Coach Tennis Balls with the SAM P1 Ball machine. They are pressureless.

Bouth those balls because i got a good price, 1.75$ per ball.

What do you think? They suck?

Patsfan12
11-27-2009, 06:25 AM
I'm getting ready to purchase a SP Lite ball machine next week. I've been debating on which pressureless balls to purchase. I was at my local sporting goods store this morning for so me Black Friday shopping and ran across the 18 pouch Penn Pressureless Balls for $5.00 each! I purchased the last remaining nine they had. Based on an internet search of the price, it appears that this was a steal??

meowmix
11-27-2009, 07:01 AM
^They're on sale every year at that store for that price. I've picked up 2 bags each year, and 3 this year. They last a heck of a long time, if I don't lose them...

Hominator
11-29-2009, 04:12 AM
^They're on sale every year at that store for that price. I've picked up 2 bags each year, and 3 this year. They last a heck of a long time, if I don't lose them...

Would that be DSG or TSA? Thanks.

Patsfan12
11-29-2009, 02:01 PM
It was the latter.