PDA

View Full Version : Where's it best to play tennis?

danielpreston
09-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Reading these forums, everyone seems to bang on about California, Florida and Texas.

Surely there's some great tennis playing areas beyond these 3 states?

I want to choose a good tennis playing college in a good tennis playing area

danielpreston
09-10-2007, 06:10 AM
From this side of the pond .... the view is

1. Florida
2. California
3. Texas
4. Georgia
5. South Carolina
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?

I'm coming up with a composite picture based on weather, tournament provision and player density.

Serve em Up
09-10-2007, 06:41 AM
The southern tier states and California are always going to be better because of the climate. There's very little "off-season". Once your get into mid-atlantic and mid-west states you really need to move indoors to play good tennis about December(depending on weather) and don't get to play outdoors consistently until about mid-march. Upper ******* you can forget about it.

Court time indoors usually costs $$$$. Ther's alot of demand for a relatively small number of courts.

Ephry73
09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Having lived in NYC, I can tell you that you can play tennis all year round, except for snowed in days. When you play a pro set with a good friend in 37 degree weather, in your sweatpants,sweatshirts and double long johns, that's when you know you love this sport :D

Now that I live in FL, I cannot find anyone to play with. LOL

E

ericsson
09-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Isent Florida a little too humid, i went to California, seems to me they have the perfect climate, not too hot or too cold with dry air.

volusiano
09-11-2007, 02:37 AM
AZ during the fall/winter/spring (when school is in session) is very nice for tennis.

Duzza
09-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Does the standard really differ in D1 schools with a decent record? I mean, D1 is D1 right...

J011yroger
09-11-2007, 03:26 AM
Having lived in NYC, I can tell you that you can play tennis all year round, except for snowed in days. When you play a pro set with a good friend in 37 degree weather, in your sweatpants,sweatshirts and double long johns, that's when you know you love this sport :D

Now that I live in FL, I cannot find anyone to play with. LOL

E

I was out in this past November, and the sun was going down, it was about 40, my sweatpants were falling down, my nose was running, and the courts were full.

I yelled out, "Does anyone have any clue why we are out here?"

Nobody knew why, but a good time was had by all.

P.S. My grandparents live in Melbourne and I visit once a year or so and bring my racquets, but it is tough to find good players on the public courts around there. Usually have to play with the oldtimers.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your level, and where do you play down there?

J

Duzza
09-11-2007, 04:06 AM
I was out in this past November, and the sun was going down, it was about 40, my sweatpants were falling down, my nose was running, and the courts were full.

I yelled out, "Does anyone have any clue why we are out here?"

Nobody knew why, but a good time was had by all.

P.S. My grandparents live in Melbourne and I visit once a year or so and bring my racquets, but it is tough to find good players on the public courts around there. Usually have to play with the oldtimers.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your level, and where do you play down there?

J
Where in Melbourne and what time of year?!?!

EDIT: Melbourne, Victoria or Melbourne, Florida?

J011yroger
09-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Where in Melbourne and what time of year?!?!

EDIT: Melbourne, Victoria or Melbourne, Florida?

Florida.

If I ever visit Victoria I will be sure to let you know so we can meet up!

J

bad_call
09-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Florida.

If I ever visit Victoria I will be sure to let you know so we can meet up!

J

JR - give a heads up before you get down to Melbourne, FL. will try to meet up with you and the Ephyr.

J011yroger
09-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Will do bro, didn't know you lived down there.

I usually make it down once or twice a year.

Fly into Lauderdale sometimes and Melbourne others.

J

danielpreston
09-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Give us your top 10 states to play tennis and why?

Cheers

And by the way, if you're bored ... have a peep www.danpreston.co.uk and have a look at the videos ... absolute guarantee ... you can't touch this!:)

bad_call
09-12-2007, 06:47 AM
ok. back to the point. i suggest checking out the ncaa draw and comparing how the different schools performed.