PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel (playing) tennis is gaining in popularity?

firstblud
09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I read the report on how the us open final ratings dropped today from last year (mostly b/c of roddick not being at the final). I just got into tennis a few months ago at age 24.

I was one of those people in high school who used to avoid taking the tennis class and thought it was a 'soft' sport and opted for weight lifting (how things change :p )

even today i tell some of my friends that i started tennis and some laugh at me and tell me that it's not for them and imply that it's not a MAN's sport (I guess i felt that way at one point)....

anyhow it kind of hit me today that it seems like tennis isn't that popular here and doesn't seem to be growing at a rate like basketball...

just curious to see if you guys think tennis is growing in your area?

maybe tennis cost too much money for some people?

AndyRLacoste
09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
There aren't simple leagues in tennis like in baseball, such as T-ball and farm ball.

And was the US Open on the opening of the NFL Season last year? That could be a reason.

Boja
09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I remember during the coverage of the Montreal Masters Series tournament, the commentator Peter Burwash was saying that tennis was the only sport that had its participation levels increase. I'm assuming this was a stat for either Canada or North America, but I'm not sure of what time period this was for. I know that Burwash says some outlandish things so I'm not sure of his word.

As from my personal experience, I don't notice any significant increase in the clubs that I belong to. There is a public court near my home however, and I have noticed that more people have been playing there this year.

tennishead93
09-10-2007, 07:57 PM
There aren't simple leagues in tennis like in baseball, such as T-ball and farm ball.

And was the US Open on the opening of the NFL Season last year? That could be a reason.

well that is not wholly true. at my (former) academy they started the little kids playing in a very small baby court. at age 10 u play in the larger sized courts. at age 12 u played in a regular court. i thought it was kinda gay to go all the way up to twelve. kids should start playing on a normal sized court at age 9.