PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to turbo tennis at the O2?

origmarm
09-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Is anyone going to Turbo Tennis at the O2 in London on Saturday?

For those who are not familiar:
http://promo.betfair.com/turbotennis/betfairturbotennis.html

origmarm
09-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Bump
No one?

Fee
09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
It looks interesting, but its kind of disturbing that in the middle of a match fixing investigation, some ATP players are in an event sponsored by a gambling firm. It's an odd mix for sure.

Are you going?

origmarm
09-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Yes I am, it appears that I may be present at quite an empty arena judging by the interest in this...:)
Greg Rusedski was promoting this near my office the other day, he wants to see some of the format on tour and apparently has player backing (he mentioned Blake, Roddick and someone else I forget).
I had a go at returning some of his serves, I got 1 out of 3 over the net, didn't even see the other two

michael-uk
09-13-2007, 05:07 AM
I considered going, but was put off in part by the publicity which said "spectators will be encouraged to make a lot of noise". I am turning into my Dad, you see. It's the "encouraging" bit which especially bothers me.
But please do report back.

origmarm
09-13-2007, 05:42 AM
I considered going, but was put off in part by the publicity which said "spectators will be encouraged to make a lot of noise". I am turning into my Dad, you see. It's the "encouraging" bit which especially bothers me.
But please do report back.

I didn't see that. I have to say I'm with you on that one, how do they encourage your exactly? Maybe they'll invite the J-Block, Blake is playing....
I really hope they don't....
If they do I hope Goran throws a racquet at them, it wouldn't be the first time :)

maneater
09-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Nahh...maybe if Sampras was going tho

Docalex007
09-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I would have went now but didn't know about this! Thanks, kinda last minute!

Adam
09-15-2007, 12:14 PM
How was it origmarm? I have to say from watching it on TV that it didnt look that great. Other than the Greg vs Goran match I hardly saw any of the players having fun out there , maybe Blake a little. I know if was meant to be fast but maybe the courts could have beena bit slower so some more rallies could take place instead of the big servers dominating it all ;)

J-man
09-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Can someone explain it to me? So the players are going to play quick 30 minute matches and people will bet on the outcome? Like Fee said it seems like a funny thing to do with the whole Betting scandal

Feña14
09-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I saw it on Channel 4 earlier and it looked really fun!

I love that there were no let's on serves lol.. that was something different.

origmarm
09-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Can someone explain it to me? So the players are going to play quick 30 minute matches and people will bet on the outcome? Like Fee said it seems like a funny thing to do with the whole Betting scandal

The rules were:

1. Matches will last for 30 minutes.
After 27 minutes, a klaxon will sound signalling that the current game will be the last game of the match. If the score is tied after this game a sudden death point will be played to decide the winner. The player who would have been due to serve in the next game will serve this point. The receiver will choose the court to receive into.

2. The following breaks will be permitted.
a. Between serves - 10 seconds
b. Between points - 15 seconds
c. Between games - 30 seconds
Failure to comply with these times will result in the offending player forfeiting the point. The receiver can also forfeit a point for delaying tactics.

3. At deuce, no advantage will be played, producing a sudden-death scenario. The receiver will be allowed to choose in which court he wishes to receive.

4. There will be one change of ends after 15 minutes (at the end of the game in progress). A one-minute rest period will be allowed at the change of ends only.

5. A drinks/towel station will be situated at each end of the court. Players will be allowed to use these at any time during the match subject to compliance with the time restraints. A player may choose to forfeit a point in order to spend time at the station.

6. Players will be required to serve with the first two balls given to them by the ball children. If a player rejects a ball, he will be left with just one serve. If a player has a ball in his pocket but asks the ball boy for two more balls he will also forfeit a serve.

7. Once the server has thrown the ball up for the toss, he must hit it. If he doesn’t, it will be counted as a fault.

8. Players must be ready for their match one minute after the end of the previous match.

9. There will be a two-minute warm up time prior to each match. Warm up facilities will also be available courtside throughout the session e.g. bikes, skipping ropes etc.

10. All players must remain courtside for the duration of the evening. Physiotherapy will also take place courtside unless, in the opinion of the medical team, the treatment should be carried out in private.

11. All players must wear predominantly coloured clothing with no more than 20% white.

To answer the betting questions yeah it was pretty weird. They had a big screen in the middle at all times that showed the score, and between games showed the odds for realtime betting and the amount matched i.e. the total amount of money riding on each game. There were stations where you could go and bet also. Was definitely a bit of a gambling led thing

origmarm
09-17-2007, 12:34 AM
How was it origmarm? I have to say from watching it on TV that it didnt look that great. Other than the Greg vs Goran match I hardly saw any of the players having fun out there , maybe Blake a little. I know if was meant to be fast but maybe the courts could have beena bit slower so some more rallies could take place instead of the big servers dominating it all ;)

It was distinctly mixed. The court was VERY fast. To the point where I would say that it was at least 20% faster than a US Open court. All of the players mentioned it, serves were just ridiculous to return. Funny enough the best server and the best returner made the final. Difficult to watch as you couldn't even really see the serves at all. Bit of a shame because it limited rallies as you point out. They slowed it down A LOT for the TV coverage (I recorded it).

I think at the beginning it was all a bit of fun but then it got a bit more serious, Blake especially really didn't want to loose to Goran, he was really p*ssed afterwards and tried to leave the court straight away, they had to get two officials to bring him back for the interview. Andy Murray was having a bit of a sulk (I think the announcer called him the English number one by mistake, this apparently is very bad if you are Scottish and not just a silly mistake), but then thats nothing new. Jamie Murray, Goran, Greg, Pat all came off very well by contrast. Pat was having a great time but was clearly off the pace. Goran would probably still be at home on the tour.

The whole thing had a distinctly commercial feel about it, with cheerleaders, flashing lights, cheering and jeering throughout (even during the points) etc...
Was quite good fun but got a bit much towards the end. They of course served loads of beer throughout and by the time we had all been there 6hrs it was getting pretty bleary. They announcer kept forgetting Jamie Murray's name so everyone kept cheering him as Blake or Goran :). Lots of "Come on Murray" and "Come on England" during the match between the Murrays. They gave out horns and noise tubes out front which made for A LOT of noise, too much imo.

The betting was EVERYWHERE! They had screens for you to gamble all over and big screens with realtime odds over the match at all times (they update at the end of each game). You got the feeling is was definitely an event designed for TV coverage and betting. For example breaks for TV ads were obvious with the players waiting sometimes.

As to the format, I thought it was good but then it was not a serious competitive event. It was great for some fun, the timings really kept the match moving and if the court had been slower you would have seen some really great tennis. The lack of lets on serve was pretty good really, sudden death deuce was renamed "TURBO", having them remain courtside was a bit silly really. All in all a positive. I would like to see the court different, the betting far less prominent, and possibly no horns or noise tubes. Having the beer was great though :)