PDA

View Full Version : For computer experts

Jltn713
11-02-2004, 03:27 PM
I got a computer from a friend who wanted me to format it. Its a real piece of junk and about 4 or 5 years old, maybe older. I tried to install xp on it but when it's at 13%(after formating and its copying files) it stops. I don't know what i can do.

HELP PLZ!!!!

gmlasam
11-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Sounds like a hardware driver conflict with windows xp. Not all older computers can run winXP. What OS did that old computer have before, 95 or 98? Try installing winxp with the minium hardware installed and see if it works. Remove, soundcard, modem, and nic card. Just have the video card installed for the obvious reason ;).

Also, Winxp runs best with at least 128mb of ram. You may also need to flash the bios of your motherboard to support XP.

Jltn713
11-02-2004, 06:13 PM
OKay thanks but i am trying 2000 and there is the same problem. Before i formated it there was 2000 on it but now its not working.

Thanks i will try what you said

thehustler
11-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Here are the minimum requirements for 2k and XP

2k:

Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU.
Memory At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM; more memory generally improves responsiveness.
Hard Disk 2 GB with 650 MB free space.
CPU Support Windows 2000 Professional supports single and dual CPU systems.
Drive CD-ROM or DVD drive.
Display VGA or higher resolution monitor.
Keyboard Required.

XP:

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

I have seen it where it will freeze up for no reason. You then start the process all over again and suddenly it works fine. If you're having issues with 2k as well then I'm guessing maybe you don't have the system requirements or just barely meet them. Try listing the specs if you can. Also if 2k doesn't install at least try 98 to see if anything will install. If that doesn't then there is some other issue with that machine. HTH.

Max G.
11-03-2004, 12:43 AM
"They say that if you play a microsoft CD backwards, you can hear satanic messages.

That's nothing.

When you play it forwards... it installs WINDOWS."

katarddx
11-03-2004, 07:43 PM
The platform for both W2000 and XP is NTFS. Not neceserely is doable to install it on old machines...OS takas up a little more space then w98 or 95...

Peter Samprer
11-12-2004, 03:03 PM
maybe there's something wrong with the cd drive. if it's old then it's possible. try installing new or old cd drive and see what happens.