PDA

View Full Version : Me too. I have some obscure trivia questions.

Tenny
11-02-2004, 07:24 PM
1. Around 1987(?), Navratilova was playing no-yonex looking racquet. It looks like more conventional shape (US open video). What was that?

2. Why was Courier's racquet (PS6.0 85?) black? Could he still get any endorsement?

3. What's the small round shaped stencil on Edberg's PS6.0 85?

4. Has anyone played strange looking Rossinol (Sp?) racquet? Why the throat part looks like that? Was it successful? It was very flexible. What's the merit of playing a very flexible one like that? How much it would cost if I can find one? I think Matt Wilander used similar ones.

5. I have a DVD copy of 2000(?) AO SF(?) between AA (df.) Sampras. In here, Sampras looks very menacing or uncool (I think he also tanked in 5th set). Was he like that in his later career period? Or, was he just trying to be determined against his biggest rival?

6. What happened during 92 US open final beween Edberg and Sampras. Sampras picked the match as one of his 5 most important matches. Was Edberg so good?

Thanks for your input in advance

T.

Kevin Patrick
11-02-2004, 07:40 PM
5. I don't think Sampras was trying to look "menacing," he's just a serious guy on court & that was a really big match. I do remember him glaring at Brad Gilbert(who was talking too loudly)
I also don't think he tanked the match, Agassi really elevated his game to take the 4th set, Sampras was a little discouraged that he didn't finish the match off & Agassi got an early break. From my memory, even though it was a 6-1 set, most of the games were close (multiple deuces, chances for Sampras to get back on serve)
Afterwards Sampras revealed he suffered a hip flexor injury(causing him to withdraw from Davis Cup) during the match, but said it didn't affect him.

6. Sampras says the Edberg match was a turning point in his career, because he realized after it how much he hated to lose. I remember him saying that up till that point he thought reaching a slam final was a good effort, after he lost he realized "no one remembers who came in 2nd."
Also he wasn't pleased with his effort, saying that he got down on himself after he was down early in the 4th set & the match got away very quickly.
Edberg was good at the '92 Open but not at his best (like in '91)
Sampras was on a 20 match win streak before the final (a streak that included a 6-2,6-3 defeat of Edberg in Cincinnati) He might have even been a slight favorite.

Datacipher
11-02-2004, 09:04 PM
1. I believe she was playing with a Dunlop 200 g if memory serves

2. No, he couldnt' have any endorsement. He was not happy with the Courier model pro staff...rumour was because of the absolutely awful american flag paintjob. Also, PS 6.0 had plenty of high profile users. Courier was also having arm problems and was experimenting with other racquets.

4. Rossignol used throats like that to help equalize the length of the mains. A few of the models I tried were excellent players racquets. Flexible, good feel, solid.

5. I thought he was just a bit tired by the end.

6.Yes, Edberg was that good...that's why he won it 2x in a row...but Sampras also was ailing in the final....perhaps it was an upset stomach...I don't remember specifically.

jings
11-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Stencil was for Bow strings.

Matt Riordan
11-03-2004, 01:29 AM
3. The circle on Edberg's strings was the symbol for Bow Brand the string manufacturer.

Tenny
11-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks, guys

I've learned a lot. I have one more question. The model I tried was F-200. Is it a good one? It was a dark grey color one and I saw one in white color. When were they made? Can you explain a little bit more about the racquets? Thanks in advance!!!

T.

* Dunlop 200g with Navratilova? I thought she was Yonex player.

[quote="Datacipher"]

4. Rossignol used throats like that to help equalize the length of the mains. A few of the models I tried were excellent players racquets. Flexible, good feel, solid.

Datacipher
11-05-2004, 01:33 AM
Thanks, guys

I've learned a lot. I have one more question. The model I tried was F-200. Is it a good one? It was a dark grey color one and I saw one in white color. When were they made? Can you explain a little bit more about the racquets? Thanks in advance!!!

T.

* Dunlop 200g with Navratilova? I thought she was Yonex player.

The curved shape of the throat sort of matched the top of the frame so the center main strings were closer to the same length than a conventional racquet...at least that's what they hyped at the time. I have an F295 around somewhere which I believe was Tennis World's frame of the year around 1989. It's a beauty....soft and solid...haven't hit with it in years...but I'd liken it a bit to the pro tour 280 but with a tiny bit more pop. One of the best racquets I've hit with...as good as any classic...I played with it for a couple of months but didnt' seriously consider it long term as I only have 1...which I picked up in a bargain bin at a sports discounter for around 25$....sales kids had no idea how good that racquet really was. I also hit with an F6.something....1 of the widebody Rossi's....it was OK. Wilander played with a couple different models I believe but I think one was the F200 carbon. That's all I remember of the top of my head.

As for Martina...from memory....she was with Yonex....but in a quest for more power....I think to combat Graf....suddenly switched to an all black Dunlop while still under Yonex contract.. Dunlop then took a cheap shot at Yonex by making a full page ad with a Dunlop racquet and a spray can of black paint and a caption like "I wonder what Martina spends her prize money on?" lol....funny...but really cheap.

So of course Yonex and MN agreed to part ways. The rumour was that the Japanese head of Yonex took it as a personal shame losing MN and considered her part of the Yonex family and made it one of his goals to get Martina back with Yonex....it was said he refused to believe that his company could not make a frame Martina would prefer....so they continued to send her test racquets....after not too long Martina tried the new Yonex widebody RQ-180 ?(I think) and loved it. So she switched back and wrote a conciliatory letter to the head of Yonex....and apparently all was well.