rhubarb
11-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Nope.

pound cat
11-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Yup.

rhubarb
11-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Why though? It would be embarrassing for him and for tennis...and boring ;)

pound cat
11-03-2004, 03:13 AM
If he came back with hair like that no way he'd be boring.

Rabbit
11-03-2004, 04:52 AM
I think Connors ought to come back.

RB
11-03-2004, 07:03 AM
would love to see Connors really get in shape and make another run---it would be good for tennis---its obvious he still has the itch

arosen
11-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Not unless Sampras gets Agassi's haircut

Peter Samprer
11-03-2004, 07:58 AM
i guess pete's 14 grandslam and 6 straight yrs. as number 1 makes him boring. let's see if roger can be as boring as pete ;)

the man to beat
11-03-2004, 08:04 AM
We mite well see that!! Go Roger

rhubarb
11-03-2004, 08:05 AM
i guess pete's 14 grandslam and 6 straight yrs. as number 1 makes him boring. let's see if roger can be as boring as pete ;)

Roger could never be as boring as Pete if he tried.
But he might eclipse his GS record (I doubt it though).

gts072
11-03-2004, 08:24 AM
He can't come back. He's too old and out of shape plus he is a family man now.

Type40
11-03-2004, 09:18 AM
I think Jack Kramer should make a come back, he'd kick ***. Still time for him to put another decade on the tour, he's only 80.

RickN
11-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Johnny Mac should stage a return. He still has a top serve and is entertaining as hell.

ShooterMcMarco
11-03-2004, 12:16 PM
yeah, john mac should quit his show and return to the tour ;)

finchy
11-03-2004, 12:22 PM
i dont think he has a show anymore. lol. he got terrible ratings because it was a terrible show.

ShooterMcMarco
11-03-2004, 12:25 PM
i remember watching his show once, and he had wildboy steve-o on there, and jmac was hitting him with forehand smashes. pretty funny, steve-o got hit in the balls pretty hard.

Tenny
11-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Sampras has done his due. He deserves some rest.

Monica Seles of early 90s, She is the one I'd bring back to the scene (WTA) from the past on my time machine.
Seles of early 90s vs. Sharapova match would be a fun.

T.

BigboyDan
11-03-2004, 02:29 PM
No. Pete was a great champ and won a lot, but he was worthless to pro tennis outside his play and hindered its continued growth as a spectator sport. Ask anyone IN the game.

RickN
11-03-2004, 09:05 PM
yeah, john mac should quit his show and return to the tour ;)

Even if he doesn't return to the tour, he should still quit his show. :D

laurie
11-04-2004, 04:11 AM
BigboyDan, which opinions have you canvassed IN the game to come up with this assessment? I'd be very interested to know. Or are you just trying to force YOUR opinion on others?

Peter Samprer
11-04-2004, 07:35 AM

Roger could never be as boring as Pete if he tried.
But he might eclipse his GS record (I doubt it though).

yeah, he can't be as boring as pete. pete made it boring 'coz nobody couldn't keep up with him. roger can beat pete's record, let's see how he handles injuries and how hungry he'll remain.

laurie
11-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Peter Samprer, You're right. Pete Sampras didn't make it boring. The only ones who are boring are the ones who can't appreciate skill, talent and will to win when its staring them in the face.

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Sorry, laurie, but the only ones who are boring are the ones who keep harping on about Sampras long after he has retired.

antontd
11-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Only an idiot would call Pete boring. players like Coria are boring.

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Each to their own. Some people find Coria a fascinating player. At least he can claim a Roland Garros final in his career, which is more than can be said for some players.

Peter Samprer
11-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Each to their own. Some people find Coria a fascinating player. At least he can claim a Roland Garros final in his career, which is more than can be said for some players.

yeah, only final but no grandslam :roll:

antontd
11-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Yes, he has a slam final. so what? he cares only to get the ball back. If you don't make winners you are boring. simple.

Max G.
11-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Yes, he has a slam final. so what? he cares only to get the ball back. If you don't make winners you are boring. simple.

Not true. Maybe for you. Not for everybody.

Now, I like the aggressive players, the netrushers, the guys that make spectacular winners. But I also know some people that love the scrappy fighters, the ones that are willing to run down ball after ball after ball, that manage to get their racket on balls that should have been winners time and time again, who manage to find ways to win despite not having weapons. Those people absolutely love the Hewitts and the Corias, and don't consider them boring at all.

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 09:16 AM

Not yet, no, but he's only 22.

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 09:19 AM

That's your own preference. I find players that are very dominant on serve extremely boring, but I know some people actually like that.

antontd
11-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Nothing looks better than 4 aces in a row.

Peter Samprer
11-04-2004, 09:35 AM

Not yet, no, but he's only 22.

22 and he already choked. sampras 19, federer 20? something, roddick, chang 17, didn't choke :lol:

Max G.
11-04-2004, 09:38 AM

4 volley winners in a row.

Max G.
11-04-2004, 09:39 AM

Or, depending on who you ask, four twenty-ball rallies in a row.

antontd
11-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Max, I agree only with the first(May be because I'm a SVer). Anyway you are right, it depends. But the point was that Sampras was everythning, but not boring.

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 09:50 AM
But the point was that Sampras was everythning, but not boring.

Again that's a personal preference. There are plenty of tennis fans who found him boring, and one of them was me. Great player, great skill, great achievements. But sorry, still boring.

Oh yes, and not up to the mark on clay ;)

Peter Samprer
11-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Max, I agree only with the first(May be because I'm a SVer). Anyway you are right, it depends. But the point was that Sampras was everythning, but not boring.

http://www.clublakers.com/forums/images/smiles/jam2.gif

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 09:52 AM
22 and he already choked. sampras 19, federer 20? something, roddick, chang 17, didn't choke :lol:

So what? Lots of great players didn't win their first Grand Slam final. Agassi took four attempts, so did Lendl.

Anyway, we digress.

Peter Samprer
11-04-2004, 09:55 AM

So what? Lots of great players didn't win their first Grand Slam final. Agassi took four attempts, so did Lendl.

Anyway, we digress.

so what? c'mon man, he was leading all the way... and then... http://www.clublakers.com/forums/images/smiles/bricks.gif

... and i don't consider him great...yet :wink:

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Sure, I'm not arguing he didn't choke. And no I don't think he's a "great" player either, but if the "greater" players couldn't win their first GS finals, then that lets Coria off the hook a bit.

Anyway, he's still got a better record on clay than Sampras ;)

antontd
11-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Again that's a personal preference. There are plenty of tennis fans who found him boring, and one of them was me. Great player, great skill, great achievements. But sorry, still boring.

I know only one who thinks that sapras is boring, oh and that includes you.

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 10:17 AM

I've no idea who "sapras" is ;) If you meant Pete Sampras, then your circle of tennis friends must be pretty small, perhaps non-existent.

Look, this is history. There are plenty of players out there to be excited about, and certainly no need to wish one of the yawn-inducers of the past be resurrected. Let's move on.

Peter Samprer
11-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Sure, I'm not arguing he didn't choke. And no I don't think he's a "great" player either, but if the "greater" players couldn't win their first GS finals, then that lets Coria off the hook a bit.

wtf? of course he wil have a better record. i don't know if you're a coria fan but did you know that he grew up playing on clay? that's shows you why he's better than sampras on clay. http://www.clublakers.com/forums/images/smiles/man7.gif

antontd
11-04-2004, 10:31 AM

I've no idea who "sapras" is ;) If you meant Pete Sampras, then your circle of tennis friends must be pretty small, perhaps non-existent.

Look, this is history. There are plenty of players out there to be excited about, and certainly no need to wish one of the yawn-inducers of the past be resurrected. Let's move on.

So you hated how sampras made agassi "the second great". why don't you tell us who is not boring. federer and ...

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 10:32 AM

wtf? of course he wil have a better record. i don't know if you're a coria fan but did you know that he grew up playing on clay? that's shows you why he's better than sampras on clay. http://www.clublakers.com/forums/images/smiles/man7.gif

There are plenty of players who have NOT grown up on clay and have a better record than Sampras on that surface.

And no, for the record, I am not a Coria fan. It wasn't me that brought up Coria in the first place.

Peter Samprer
11-04-2004, 10:40 AM
There are plenty of players who have NOT grown up on clay and have a better record than Sampras on that surface.

And no, for the record, I am not a Coria fan. It wasn't me that brought up Coria in the first place.

it was psychological for pete. i know he could've done better on clay like when he won on davis cup.

i know that there are players that didn't grow up on clay and have better record than sampras. but on your comment "Anyway, he's still got a better record on clay than Sampras", you were comparing coria and sampras on clay. what's up with that? pete didn't grow up playing on grass but was great playing on it, can you compare that with coria?

rhubarb
11-04-2004, 10:50 AM
anton brought up Coria as a supposedly "boring" player compared with Sampras, so I guess I just threw that in to show that Guille could be considered superior to Pete in one category. And of course, I like to bate the Sampras-lovers around here ;)

Actually it was interesting to see that Coria got to the Rosmalen final this year on grass, but yes, he's not ever going to be the player that Sampras was on it. Very few are :)

pound cat
11-04-2004, 03:47 PM
What you're talking about is a Sampras-like character...one who can hit aces abd win Slams. Pete has no interest in returning to tennis in any way, shape, or form. and we've got a Sampras-like player in the shape of Roger Federer who IMO is as boring as hell. What we need are characters. Look at the top 10...Roddick, Hewitt, Safin...so, they don't win every match or every tournament or every Slam. But they're all as entertaining as anything to fans, followers and media, and this is what keeps tennis alive. And they just happen to be in the masters' Cup too.

Kevin Patrick
11-04-2004, 04:48 PM
rhubarb,
you are obviously a big Federer fan(so am I) Why do you consider Sampras boring & not Federer? They both have similar all court games & personalities, is it just because of Sampras' dominating serve?

As far all the original topic, I think Sampras is missed, not necessarily for his game, but that he maintained such a high standard, that there is a void without him, like when MJ retired, regardless of how you felt about him you knew he was a rare champion. The same will happen when Agassi retires. There are less all-time great players playing now than ever before, many talents of the late 90s didn't really fulfill their Sampras & Agassi-like potential(in terms of winning multiple slams). Federer is the only truly great player out there. Yes the younger players may make their mark, but I have a feeling that there will be a lot of 1 or 2 slam wonders, no consistent champions. I don't think Hewitt or Safin will add considerably to their trophy cabinet either.

And rhubard, Sampras had 3 claycourt titles(3 more than Becker). I doubt Coria will ever win 1 grasscourt title.

mlee2
11-04-2004, 06:33 PM
And rhubard, Sampras had 3 claycourt titles(3 more than Becker). I doubt Coria will ever win 1 grasscourt title.

That's really unfair to say considering how extremely short the grass season is compared to the clay season.

Matt Choi
11-04-2004, 06:57 PM
If Pete ever comes back, look for Ncode 85. It'll sell like hotcakes!

antontd
11-04-2004, 07:07 PM
If Pete ever comes back, look for Ncode 85. It'll sell like hotcakes!

I would definitely buy at least 2, with or without Pete on tour. Wilson, what are you waiting for?

perfmode
11-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Not enough people would use an 85in head. That's why they started releasing 90's and 95's instead of 85's and 95's. I'm sure a lot of people here on TW would buy them but we don't represent the rest of the american/global tennis community. Btw, Sampras was going to use a "Tour 90" in 2003.

Matt Choi
11-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Performode, it was a joke. Don't take it literally.

antontd
11-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Btw, Sampras was going to use a "Tour 90" in 2003.

Yeah, right!!! I bet Wilson said that. :wink: :lol: :mrgreen: :roll:

rhubarb
11-05-2004, 10:00 AM
rhubarb,
you are obviously a big Federer fan(so am I) Why do you consider Sampras boring & not Federer? They both have similar all court games & personalities, is it just because of Sampras' dominating serve?

Good question, and very difficult to answer. I know of at least one person who loved Sampras and finds Federer boring.

Yes, for me Sampras' serve was certainly a big part of the zzzz factor. Any time an opponent had a chance, they were usually just snuffed out by a couple of aces. Great skill and timing, maybe (and Federer does do that too), but I want to see more than that in a tennis match!

Roger certainly shows off all the shots in the book and then some that aren't; of course Pete had awesome shot-making ability too.

It must be something in the way Federer plays, his movement, style that enchanted me - it is just pure magic. Sampras just left me cold, I can't explain that, but that is why I find him boring. Maybe it was his tongue ;)

I'm not sure they are that similar, personality-wise. They are certainly both emotionally controlled on-court (well, most of the time for Roger - he still breaks rackets on occasion!). I don't know either of them personally, but from the sources most fans have, I get the feeling Roger is more outgoing, laidback and popular amongst fellow players and fans than Pete was.

But that is just my opinion, my taste - for which there is no accounting ;)

SydW
11-05-2004, 11:26 AM
What you're talking about is a Sampras-like character...one who can hit aces abd win Slams. Pete has no interest in returning to tennis in any way, shape, or form. and we've got a Sampras-like player in the shape of Roger Federer who IMO is as boring as hell. What we need are characters. Look at the top 10...Roddick, Hewitt, Safin...so, they don't win every match or every tournament or every Slam. But they're all as entertaining as anything to fans, followers and media, and this is what keeps tennis alive. And they just happen to be in the masters' Cup too.

Throwing racquets/arguing with umpires are not the only sign of showing characters. Federer's calmness and ability to keep emotions in check is also characters. I generally can't stand players who act like spoilt brats on court but as long as the tennis is great, it's interesting also to watch the clash of personalities on court. We need varieties of games/personalities, and not just one stereotype that YOU seem to enjoy. It's not players like Sampras/Federer who kill tennis, it's fans like you who are not willing to open up to different type of games/personalities :wink:

And how ridiculous is it to claim Federer has no interests in returning to tennis in any form? Time after time commentators mentioned how generous he is with the media and I believe he was nominated by the media as one of the most co-operative players in promoting the games last year.

Peter Samprer
11-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Good question, and very difficult to answer. I know of at least one person who loved Sampras and finds Federer boring.

Yes, for me Sampras' serve was certainly a big part of the zzzz factor. Any time an opponent had a chance, they were usually just snuffed out by a couple of aces. Great skill and timing, maybe (and Federer does do that too), but I want to see more than that in a tennis match!

it's not sampras' fault that his opponent couldn't return his serve and keep up with him. don't you think that the boring person were his opponent. they couldn't keep up with him so what the heck. do you enjoy watching michael jordan with bulls playing against washington bullets(wizards now)? you don't 'coz jordan opponent doesn't have the talent he has and that makes them boring. same with pete and his opponent. pete was dominating his opponent, but doesn't mean that his boring, his opponent were the boring ones with the exception of agassi :)

federer have the same personality as pete (on court). i also don't find him boring though. players now are more athletic, have bigger racquets so they can return his serve. i guess that makes him not boring 'coz you see more rally. pete was just dominant on his prime, unstoppable.

the man to beat
10-16-2005, 04:41 AM
like a runaway

train

carving up

the central zone!

Coria
10-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Pete does not have the body of Andre and could never even come close to getting himself at a physical level of excellence at age 34. Part of what made him so great was his ability to get so quickly to the net off his serve.

He would have lost at least a step and a half if he came back now and would be overpowered.

His game was already slipping physically from late '00 to '02. Other than his performances at the OPEN (two finals and a win from 2000 to 2002, Pete was essentially a winner of 55% of his matches. He was routinely getting beat from the backcourt as well.

At 34, he would be a SHELL of his peak self--not even a top 25 player, trust me.

the man to beat
10-19-2005, 08:20 AM
pete was predator puma

GD GD

ace

matchpoint!

the man to beat
10-23-2005, 06:55 AM
sampras on senior tour

carving up his old foes

watch out

JIM!