PDA

View Full Version : Well it's finally over!

don knot
11-03-2004, 05:06 AM
I guess someone had to post about it sooner or later. I hope now everyone can get behind President George W. Bush as he has won the Popular vote with a strong majority and the electoral college. I must give credit to John Kerry for running a good campaign and I hope now he will lose graciously before being humiliated any further. What is the major lesson learned from last night? Don't trust the exit polls. These polls were obviously slanted democratic as the after debate polls of a few weeks ago. I would like to see Kerry in his last speech urge his supporters to unite and support the President. I believe he is a classy man and expect that to be the case.

Thanatos
11-03-2004, 05:19 AM
I really like to hear what Michael Moore (that fat *******) has to say on the matter. All his propoganda and attempt to influence the presidential race was futile! Please attach any links if found..

thanks.

Gatsby007
11-03-2004, 05:22 AM
We will now find out what John Kerry is made of. The country is divided as it is, and dragging out a 100% certain defeat would not be good for the country. I know we have all had some heated discussions about this, but as Don said, Kerry did run a good campaign. If the Dems could have put out just about anyone else they probably would have won. Kerry was just a VERY weak candidate in the mold of Dukakis, Mondel Etc.
I do think you are wrong Don. What we should take from this election is this: You can't have it both ways on every issue with the American people as Kerry tried to have it.

Gatsby007
11-03-2004, 05:26 AM
Than, I believe Moore probably helped Bush more than he did Kerry. I would like to hear what his take is on this election. Let me guess: " Bush bought the election with oil" :) I must say seeing the face on Ron Regan last night, was really enough for me. It's also good for the country that the margin of this win really wasn't close (decisive)

Jonas
11-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Am I the only person who new that Bush would win kind of handily? Celebrate your victory guys, but do it graciously. We all need to come together. I guess in theory Kerry could come back and win Ohio, but it would be like if the Cardinals would have come back from 0-3 down in the series and down 20-0 bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes in game 4.

RacquetDoctor
11-03-2004, 07:15 AM
For Kerry to take Ohio, he would need 80 to 85 percent of the provisional ballots and absentee ballots...

That's not going to happen.

alienhamster
11-03-2004, 09:42 AM
No, I'm not gonna just get behind George W. Bush, because he's made ZERO attempts to appeal to anyone besides right-wingers the past four years. Kerry conceded, as he should have. But this makes me so sick that once again a large percentage of this country is going to get very little proportional representation in the executive and legislative (and ultimately judicial) branches of the government. 51% voted for Bush. So what? 48+% voted against him, and what do we get to show for that? Zip. I know it's the structure of our government, but it doesn't make it fair or right.

A good leader would look at these results and moderate his policies accordingly. Bush had an opportunity to do this last time, and he didn't make any attempt whatsoever. Maybe miraculously he will this time, but I'm not counting on it.

Camilio Pascual
11-03-2004, 10:17 AM
51% voted for Bush. So what? 48+% voted against him, and what do we get to show for that? Zip.

People from Indiana got Evan Bayh, a Democrat, into the US Senate by a wide margin even though the state went strongly for Bush. Don't give up hope just because Bush was re-elected. Keep fighting the good fight, whatever it is according to your values.

@wright
11-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Not meaning to be rude here, AH, but Bush won the election. He has no duty to his opponent to implement any portion of their views. In a perfect world, I guess the policies could be adjusted according to what the percentage of votes for/against a candidate were, but that would make for some very watered-down politics, and wouldn't do any good IMO. It's hard enough that one president is elected and his policies can get trashed by the next.

RacquetDoctor
11-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey, Alienhamster...

We had to put up with 8 years of Clinton BS...He NEVER had a majority win in the elections...

The tennis guy
11-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I hate to get into partisan argument. To be fair, the 8 years of Clinton did bring American own finance in order.

My problem with this campaign is people ignored the most serious issue facing this country - its own finance. If we continue to run huge deficit, raising debt ceiling every year, with China and Japan as our main trade partners and creditors at the same time, US economy will continue to go down the hill. I hope people do realize this before the cost to correct this is too high.

I don't understand why people in this country become so partisan. Why can't we sit down and have serious discussion about our financial future. Ross Perot did a great job bring the issue to national conscisous in early 1990s. Unfortunately, it is completely lost in the partisan fight. Be aware, sharp economic downturn is in near future. Objective economists warned again and again. Those who believe America is infallable will have rude awakening sooner than later.

Phil
11-03-2004, 08:58 PM
I guess someone had to post about it sooner or later. I hope now everyone can get behind President George W. Bush as he has won the Popular vote with a strong majority

I don't consider 51% to 48% a "strong" majority. HALF of the voters voted against him. Since the 51% voted for W to CONTINUE his administration's record of total ineptitude and failure, I figure that by 2006 even his base will get sick of him and his $8 trillion deficit, or at least enough to reverse those numbers and give Congress back to the Democrats. We survived 1 1/2 terms of Nixon and two of Reagan, so, hopefully, we can get through this without too much permanent damage. Then again, there are those Supreme Court appts. coming up...

mlee2
11-03-2004, 09:20 PM
I guess someone had to post about it sooner or later. I hope now everyone can get behind President George W. Bush as he has won the Popular vote with a strong majority

I don't consider 51% to 48% a "strong" majority. HALF of the voters voted against him. Since the 51% voted for W to CONTINUE his administration's record of total ineptitude and failure, I figure that by 2006 even his base will get sick of him and his $8 trillion deficit, or at least enough to reverse those numbers and give Congress back to the Democrats. We survived 1 1/2 terms of Nixon and two of Reagan, so, hopefully, we can get through this without too much permanent damage. Then again, there are those Supreme Court appts. coming up...

You've always written yourself as an Independent. Flip-flopping again?

Phil
11-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Mlee2 - Not sure you understand the definition of an Independent in US politics. It doesn't mean that I only support Independent candidates-it means that I support who I like, regardless of party affiliation. That isn't flip flopping, and when did I ever flip flop before this? You said "again". Tell me, or else STFU 'cause you're talking out of your behind.

mlee2
11-03-2004, 09:49 PM
You've stated in the past (and now) that you vote based on policies, and not party affiliation.

That's fine, but you've clearly implied that Congress should maintain Dem control for America to be successful again. You've also implied America's worst times as when it was under two Republican presidents: Nixon and Reagan.

You obviously indicate a Democrat bias here. My bad on "again."

Phil
11-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Yes, I vote based on policies (and, to some extent, the character of the candidate). I've "IMPLIED" that a change in Senate leadership would be a good thing, but, not because I think the Dems are all that great. I don't. Right now they're the only other choice we have-realistically-and the Republicans have made a mess out of our economy, the "War on Terror" and many other things-I can't see the Dems doing any WORSE. When one party fails, normally, it's replaced by another. I believe in that kind of litmus test for voting.
I don't see the logic of rewarding a party with a LONG STRING of failures behind it, with another 4 years. Reagan was a disaster, but when Bush I ran against Dukakis, I thought that both candidates were such CLOWNS, that I didn't vote-the only time I've skipped the presidential election.

My only BIAS is against incompetents and ideologues, and, coincedently, the most incompetent and ideological administrations in recent times were Reagan and Bush. As for Nixon, he was a crook-but I was barely out of diapers when he was president, so, obviously, I couldn't vote against him.

Gatsby007
11-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Phil,
It really was a wipe out (if you will) The Republicans now control both congress and the senate (as you know). The President now has a mandate. This was a stunning defeat of Liberalism in America. I don't care how the numbers or EC votes match up. If you look at the map, it is bleeding red everywhere. After having these long discussions about the President's judgement/character you are thankfully now the MINORITY!

don knot
11-04-2004, 01:56 PM
It's going to be a little touchy with the Democrats for a few months, but we really do need to get past the election. If Kerry would have won, I would have supported him because I live in America even though he discusts me. Just my opinion, but if i was on the losing side I would probably just avoid this thread instead of embarrasing myself with petty remarks about the President. If there are people here who feel that they cannot handle 4 more year of the bush admin. and feel that America is just in a terrible place, then why not just move out of the country instead of causing more discourse??

Bhagi Katbamna
11-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Let's see, Bush should give up the policies that won and got him 51% of the vote to try to appease the people who voted for the other guy?

Never take political advice from people you just defeated.

Phil
11-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Phil,
It really was a wipe out (if you will) The Republicans now control both congress and the senate (as you know). The President now has a mandate. This was a stunning defeat of Liberalism in America. I don't care how the numbers or EC votes match up. If you look at the map, it is bleeding red everywhere. After having these long discussions about the President's judgement/character you are thankfully now the MINORITY!

You can call it what you want, but the result is the same. Let's not quibble over the terms-three percentage points, however, has never been a "wipeout" in anyone's book. Fact is, the Republicans DO control the government and without the worry of having being re-elected, they can basically do what they want. This means many more dead young Americans in Iraq (and wherever else the US decides to attack), the continued roll back of civil rights, destruction of our influence in foreign policy (better to just bomb 'em) and the shockingly fast road to national bankrupcy. Don't come biatching to me two years from now when you and yours are bled red-you voted for the idiot, not me.