PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Aquos LCD TVs

dippin
09-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Does anyone here have a Sharp Aquos LCD TV? I was thinking of getting one and was wondering if you would recommend it. I read about some "banding" issues with these sets but wasn't sure if it was a big problem or just people being paranoid. Thanks!

35ft6
09-13-2007, 01:33 AM
I've heard they're pretty good. Along with the Sony Bravia and Samsung LCD's.

Deuce
09-13-2007, 01:50 AM
How come when I watch tennis on the new LCD or Plasma TVs, it doesn't seem 'right'? The movement doesn't seem as fluid as on traditional TVs with a tube. Somehow, the moving image seems more 'jumpy' on LCDs and Plasmas.

35ft6
09-13-2007, 02:03 AM
How come when I watch tennis on the new LCD or Plasma TVs, it doesn't seem 'right'? The movement doesn't seem as fluid as on traditional TVs with a tube. Somehow, the moving image seems more 'jumpy' on LCDs and Plasmas. It's not your imagination, they really are choppier, plasma less so. It depends on the source signal, too, though. 720p should be better because it's progressive scan. Actually, I haven't noticed it on my TV, a plasma, but at the store I definitely took notice. It was appearing all over the place. Motion graphics, seem to really cause pixelated, choppy imagery.

erik_PS95
09-13-2007, 04:38 AM
Does anyone here have a Sharp Aquos LCD TV? I was thinking of getting one and was wondering if you would recommend it. I read about some "banding" issues with these sets but wasn't sure if it was a big problem or just people being paranoid. Thanks!

I am in the market for an LCD tv but i have crossed out Sharp because of their poor labor warranty. With the crappy quality of today's TVs 90 days labor is really not enough (most manufactures offer 1 year part and 1 year labor)

origmarm
09-13-2007, 05:24 AM
I'm looking at one right now, one of the trading screens in our office is a 42in Sharp Aquos. Looks ok, black is pretty good which was a problem with our older screens. Brightness is a bit low but that could just be how they've set it. We've had it a year and its been problem free, its on from 7am to 9pm every day continuously.

The older NEC one we have on the other side of me is noticeably "milkier" and fast images have like a ghost effect or similar. Its small but there. Also if you are close to it the image looks grainy

Deuce
09-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah - when you get up within about 5 feet of one of these LCD or Plasma TVS, the image looks terrible.

I think that these TVs are far from perfected. Like most things today (computers being the most obvious example), these TVs were put on the market before they were truly ready.
Standards are lowering as financial profit becomes the ONLY reason for making a product.

origmarm
09-13-2007, 11:00 PM
I think that these TVs are far from perfected.

Agreed. They're getting pretty close though now, the new ones are already a leap from the old ones. For us its been a huge boon from a space saving perspective. We have 8 or so LCD flat panels on each of our desks for the PCs and the TVs used to have to be mounted on the ceiling. Back in the day the desks were twice the size for half the screen so for the computers its fantastic. For the TVs its nice but like you say I don't think the image for movement is great yet or up close.

blitzmage_89
09-13-2007, 11:49 PM
if you have to buy an LCD i suggest Hitachi and the Toshiba Regiza. My uncle has one and it looks so fluid and smooth

Sony already has a terrible reputation in Japan , not much people buy it now. though the rest of the world , i dont know.

Azzurri
09-14-2007, 05:09 AM
I finished my basement and put an LCD HD Projector in the ceiling. I get an 80 inch screen out of it (a little over $700 for the proj., $100 for the screen and $40 for the mounting and cables...gotta love internet deals).

Anyway, I watched my first HD football and the US Open finals last Sunday...all I can say is WOW! I have an HD 50 in Toshiba and it is nice...no complaints, but this projector at 80 inches was bright and the video quality was outstanding. Dont know if this is something you would/could do, but I recommend it to anyone that has a large room or finished basement (with drop ceiling of course) to buy a quality HD projector and ceiling mount it.

I had no problems with progression or pixalation. The brightness is unmatched...at least to what I have seen (3 friends all have Plasmas).

AlexP
09-14-2007, 05:26 AM
I have a Bravia, it's great - the quality really comes out on dvd's, tv signal not so much but I don't watch much TV anyways.

Richie Rich
09-14-2007, 05:39 AM
to the OP- many recent sharp LCD tv's have had problems with "banding". when the screen is black or white you will see horizontal lines across the screen. it's there if you look for it.

i was going to buy a sharp acquos lcd until i saw this problem. i ended up getting a pioneer elite plasma and i love it. loved watching the us open in HD.

Craig Sheppard
09-14-2007, 06:09 AM
I finished my basement and put an LCD HD Projector in the ceiling. I get an 80 inch screen out of it (a little over $700 for the proj., $100 for the screen and $40 for the mounting and cables...gotta love internet deals).

Anyway, I watched my first HD football and the US Open finals last Sunday...all I can say is WOW! I have an HD 50 in Toshiba and it is nice...no complaints, but this projector at 80 inches was bright and the video quality was outstanding. Dont know if this is something you would/could do, but I recommend it to anyone that has a large room or finished basement (with drop ceiling of course) to buy a quality HD projector and ceiling mount it.

I had no problems with progression or pixalation. The brightness is unmatched...at least to what I have seen (3 friends all have Plasmas).

What projector do you have? I have an inFocus ScreenPlay 5000. I like it and the quality is outstanding, but I don't recommend it unless you have another TV that you watch "normal" shows on. For movies and sports it's good.

Azzurri
09-14-2007, 04:36 PM
What projector do you have? I have an inFocus ScreenPlay 5000. I like it and the quality is outstanding, but I don't recommend it unless you have another TV that you watch "normal" shows on. For movies and sports it's good.

Its the Epson 76C. TV looks great on HD and nice on Digital...analog cable is ....you know.

Craig Sheppard
09-15-2007, 05:17 AM
Its the Epson 76C. TV looks great on HD and nice on Digital...analog cable is ....you know.

Yup, exactly. HD is a dream... if everything was in HD, I think I'd recommend projectors more if people have the space. Your setup sounds good b/c you're in the basement... I have some windows which makes it annoying to watch at certain times. Luckily regular HDTV's (like the Aquos in the OP's question) don't have that problem. My only other issue is the bulbs... mine is rated for 2000 hrs, and I'm way over that now w/ the orig bulb. But at close to $400 a pop, if it goes, I'm going to get a TV rather than another bulb... don't see the point of shelling out $400 every 2 years or so.

Pathy01
09-15-2007, 05:49 AM
to the OP- many recent sharp LCD tv's have had problems with "banding". when the screen is black or white you will see horizontal lines across the screen. it's there if you look for it.

i was going to buy a sharp acquos lcd until i saw this problem. i ended up getting a pioneer elite plasma and i love it. loved watching the us open in HD.

I have seen the same thing on acquos lcds. The brightness is not consistent throughout the screen, causing banding. A good reference for TV reviews is cnet.com They do a lot of standardized and comparative testing, plus have user reviews. It helps to use them for some of your homework before buying.

I personally think Pioneer and Panasonic make the best plasmas, and Sony or Toshiba for LCDs.

Azzurri
09-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Yup, exactly. HD is a dream... if everything was in HD, I think I'd recommend projectors more if people have the space. Your setup sounds good b/c you're in the basement... I have some windows which makes it annoying to watch at certain times. Luckily regular HDTV's (like the Aquos in the OP's question) don't have that problem. My only other issue is the bulbs... mine is rated for 2000 hrs, and I'm way over that now w/ the orig bulb. But at close to $400 a pop, if it goes, I'm going to get a TV rather than another bulb... don't see the point of shelling out $400 every 2 years or so.

I forget how many hours I get from a bulb (3K-5K??). I only use it for Football, Xbox (play very little) and a few movies. When the bulb goes I can get one unfder $225...$400 is high.