PDA

View Full Version : Help! Trouble Downloading files.

Verilious
09-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Problem: I use a Mac OS X 10.4, and whenever I try to download videos or open files that open an installer window, a window pops up saying that I don't have a necessary application to open the file after dl'ing it. Sometimes it will also say that I need to choose an application, but I don't know how or which one I need to use to open these files.

For example, I just downloaded http://files-upload.com/files/498921/LastReplay.rep but when I try to open it it says I don't have an app. to open it.

Help!!! >.<

Shahar26
09-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Problem: I use a Mac OS X 10.4

Solution: use a PC.

Verilious
09-13-2007, 07:03 AM
T.T

I can't even download Steam.

Verilious
09-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Bump for much needed help.

Photoshop
09-13-2007, 08:39 AM
T.T

I can't even download Steam.
so it's not just video files that you can't open?
I'm not sure how it works on a mac system, but you need to associate file types (extension names like .rep in the link you gave us) with appropriate programs that open them.

wth is a rep file anyway?

Verilious
09-13-2007, 10:02 AM
so it's not just video files that you can't open?
I'm not sure how it works on a mac system, but you need to associate file types (extension names like .rep in the link you gave us) with appropriate programs that open them.

wth is a rep file anyway?

Yes, that's what I need to do, but I just don't know which programs assign! As for the rep, no idea.

HellBunni
09-13-2007, 10:10 AM
google it.

something like "extension .rep player MAC"

Verilious
09-13-2007, 10:46 AM
I tried that but nothing that would help.

*Cries* Hopefully there is someone who can help me out with this annoying little problem, lol.

richw76
09-13-2007, 10:55 AM
If you had an appropriate app to open the file type.... it probably would have. Not trying to be difficult but you are probably SOL with your skillset. at least for apps. for video you need to get the right codecs installed. for pc their are some freeware bundles that have every codec you would ever need. There must be an equivalent in the mac world. I'll do a quick search and see if I can find anything

richw76
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
ffmpegx may get it done. good luck

www.ffmpegx.com

and maybe ffmpeg

http://ffmpeg.sf.net/

Verilious
09-13-2007, 11:50 AM
I have no trouble with video, but just with downloaded certain things, then when I try to open the setup to install them, it says that I need an app. to do it. It's odd because I do have an installer application to use and I have choosed it but nothing! As for ffmpegx, no real need for it.

Example : Tried to d/l Steam, everything was going ok until after I finish D/l it. I tried to open the SteamInstall.msi file but it said I don't have an app. to do it. =/

richw76
09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I have no trouble with video, but just with downloaded certain things, then when I try to open the setup to install them, it says that I need an app. to do it. It's odd because I do have an installer application to use and I have choosed it but nothing! As for ffmpegx, no real need for it.

Example : Tried to d/l Steam, everything was going ok until after I finish D/l it. I tried to open the SteamInstall.msi file but it said I don't have an app. to do it. =/

still sounds like you are missing an app. I get most of my downloads from newsgroup servers. On those people post mainly *.rar files, but it can also be *.zip , *.ace , *.tar , etc, etc. You need an app for teh fiel type you are downloading. In windows world Winrar is shareware that deals with almost everything. There must be a OSX equivalent. Download file then do a google search, application for .whatever file type read through see what makes sense, and try to find a copy. Good luck.

Photoshop
09-13-2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=getsteamnow
System Requirements
Windows 2000, XP or Vista

I guess you are out of luck man. mac gets no love from Steam.

richw76
09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
yeah *.msi are always microsoft command console modules, like how you control IIS anyway like photoshop said it won't run on osx natively, but you could use vmware etc. and run a windows session inside osx for your windows apps.... but it seems like you need to take a class or read a book. You don't know enough yet to take any forum suggestions and run with them,

Verilious
09-13-2007, 02:13 PM
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=getsteamnow
System Requirements
Windows 2000, XP or Vista

I guess you are out of luck man. mac gets no love from Steam.

Well I still have a PC to turn to, haha.

I got an idea: Mac = School Work, business, ordering, etc.

PC = Uber Gaming Machine of Awesomeness:grin:

richw76
09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Well I still have a PC to turn to, haha.

I got an idea: Mac = School Work, business, ordering, etc.

PC = Uber Gaming Machine of Awesomeness:grin:

look up virtualpc and vmware and I think there's another one, but it's 20-30$ if you can't find it where ever and you can install wondowz on your mac. I use a solaris version at work when I'm in a crunch.

Verilious
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Virtual PC is for Windows only.

richw76
09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Virtual PC is for Windows only.

ahhhh no it's not, there is also a MAC version, but it was only an example there are 3-5 softwares out that do the same thing.

.....from teh apple site

http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

J-man
09-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Make sure your downloads are MAC friendly.