PDA

View Full Version : first stringing machine, instructions

iradical18
03-17-2004, 09:12 PM
I'm interested in buying my own stringing machine so i can string my rackets and a few of my friends, i need something relatively inexpensive but is still good for its price. I've looked at some pictures and it looks very very confusing, will i be able to do it by just reading the included instructions? Because i really cant afford to break my racket or anything of the like. Thanks everyone.

Deuce
03-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Basically, if you can lace up a shoe, you can string a racquet.

As you gain experience, you'll learn the intricasies of the machine, as well as of the different racquets and strings, better.

Jerry Seinfeld
03-18-2004, 05:10 AM
Basically, if you can lace up a shoe, you can string a racquet.

Deuce may be making an accurate statement, but I feel the need to embellish. Stringing a racquet is not difficult, but stringing a racquet well and doing a consistent and quality job involves much more than simply lacing a shoe or knowing where the strings go. There are stringing professionals who absolutely know what they are doing, have a tremendous amount of experience and produce high-quality string jobs every time. There are others, like those part-timers, who just know how to string a racquet that don't produce consistent string jobs and make errors in stringing. You can find these types at some of the big-box retailers. My message is that stringing is fairly easy to learn, but producing consistent and professional results requires, study, patience, and care. A great string job is a combination of science and art.

Gaines Hillix
03-18-2004, 09:18 AM
And just to add to Jerry's excellent comments, attention to detail is very important. Something as simple as holding the tag end of a tie off knot tight with your pliers while releasing the string clamp can make a significant difference in tension on that string. Even the type of pliers used can make a difference.
There is not much danger of breaking your racquet. I learned how to string a racquet by watching videos on the Silent Partner website and from the instructions that came with my ATS SS II and the USRSA stringers guide and stringing video. Let's say I managed to get through it after a couple of botched attempts. I've been stringing for over 3 years and am a USRSA certified stringer, but I'm still learning. I am only now starting to feel like I can tackle the most common racquets without looking up the string pattern in the stringer's guide first, for example.

prince
03-18-2004, 03:21 PM
i started stringing 2 months ago - bought a MS200TT.
i learned strigning by reading a lot on it , a video sent to me by USRSA ,and the book sent by USRSA.
i ask people here on the board on specifics to get an accurate and consistent string bed.

i find the USRSA book to be very informative .so far i have done 18 racquets and its just gettin g better and better - the more i string .

David Pavlich
03-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Let me chime in here with all of my friends. Stringing is a "touch" profession. As you gain experience, you will be able to feel your way through a string job. I have the great fortune of being the owner of a tennis shop. I get to string a lot of different racquets in the course of business. As Gaines points out, you get to a point where a lot of the frames you see are in your head. The Digest remains closed because of pure repetition.

These guys here have a lot of good advice. I've done a pile of racquets, but I continue to come here and to other sites to learn anything that I can about this work.

You will find that a GOOD stringer is quite anal about his work. Everything has to be just so in order for the process to begin. I have quite a ritual I go through when I string. But I enjoy it. There's nothing like getting a Rollers racquet in the store. I grumble a lot, but I enjoy the challenge. Same for the pain-in-the-neck Power Holes and my all time favorite, the TT Ring.

Take your striniging to heart. It will pay off when you know that you are producing a high quality product. I've done 65 frames so far this month and I know that my customer's are happy with the work. I don't mean this to sound like I'm boasting, but in a tennis shop where everything else has Prince or Nike stamped on it, my name is on the string job and I take that very personally, as I am sure most of the stringers here do.

David

eqx
03-25-2004, 12:49 PM
The Silent Partner website has a great video that got me started with understanding the mechanics of stringing. When I finally strung my first racquet, besides having a great phone tutor (Tim from Laserfibre) I was able to visualize the steps better. I agree with other posts, stringing is an art not just mechanics.