PDA

View Full Version : Sargis Sargsian won just 1 tournament in his whole career

Golden Retriever
11-03-2004, 12:55 PM
but he still managed to make over 4M( not counting endorsement.) Tennis is not such a bad career after all.

Datacipher
11-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Not if you're as good as Sargsian. Most people aren't....

Golden Retriever
11-03-2004, 01:11 PM
He isn't that good amongst the pros, he won just 1 tournament in 10 yrs.

Dreadeye
11-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I'd venture to say that the percentage of professional tennis players that win a tournament is pretty low................you can only have one winner and at least 31 losers (if not more) each time out.

Odds are definitely against you!

Datacipher
11-03-2004, 02:53 PM
ATP lists his career earnings at 2.4M....I promise you he is not making much on endorsements.

He has been in the top 40 in the world. Compare this to what the #40 ranked basketball player, baseball player, doctor, lawyer etc makes....

MOST wannabee ATP players don't make the tour....many of them never get a single point....and even these guys are still the elite...say the best 2000 or so players in the world....all of whom can play world class tennis....all I'm saying is that the financial rewards for pro tennis are not very impressive relative to other pro sports except for a small handful at the top...

I certainly don't begrudge a guy like Sarg for his 2.4M...in terms of desire, travel, hard work, mental toughness, hours of practice, dedication, he probably matches up well with any athlete or other professional in the world....and there are a great many who's reward dwarfs his 2.4 or 4M in 10 yrs.

I'm not saying that pro athletes in some sports and say the very top of tennis are not paid ridiculous and obscene amounts....just that the lower ranks of tennis are if anything underpaid....

Bear in mind that he has likely paid almost a 1M of that back in travel expenses, coaching etc...

I'd actually say Sarg has been paid a "fair" price in the grand scheme of things...

pound cat
11-03-2004, 03:05 PM
I think this is great for him. sort of like Spadea's first title and Gaudio's Slam. Giving up doesn't pay, but hanging in there can pay extremely well in tennis.

irish
11-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Yet its one more than you and me.

11-04-2004, 07:10 AM
he's akin to a PGA 'journeyman'.....always seems to bring home adequate $$$ but never wins. A decent but hard-earned living

TwistServe
11-04-2004, 08:30 AM
It may seem like he made a lot over his career but don't forget all his expenses such as traveling, coaching, etc... Gaston Gaudio said before the french open he would have to stay in town after a tornament for a few weeks because he didn't have the cash to travel right away.

I remember reading an article that said something like a top 100 player makes like 300k in earnings per year, which ammounts to less than 50k after taxes and expenses.

davey25
11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
He is a solid player who does most things pretty well. His backhand is very good. There is nothing exceptional though, not one standout weapon. To even make the top ten you need that.
The problem for alot of players is you play tournaments, that are condusive with your ranking and ability. Thus you get to a certain ranking, you are also playing better tournaments that are harder for you to win when you stagnant around one area. That is why Kournikova never won a tournament, because she made the top 10 very quickly and was only playing slams, tier 1s, and tier 2s, and losing to top players.