PDA

View Full Version : College journalist's idea of sport

vkartikv
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Look at this 'journalist''s view of tennis

http://media.www.dailytoreador.com/media/storage/paper870/news/2007/09/12/Sports/Sports.Finally.Defined-2962243.shtml?reffeature=recentlycommentedstoriest ab

The art of writing is dying and so is the content..I have tried not to write any harsh comments but I couldn't keep quiet ..

p.s. Are guys in college just sexist, macho and testosterone driven??

chroix
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
just dumb and young

Moose Malloy
09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I think its a 'tongue in cheek' sort of article.

But he does have a point, if you can play a sport at 70(no matter how badly) it does say a bit about what kind of sport it is. Most have to give up basketball past a certain age, but does anyone have to give up tennis? I don't see 70 year olds on my local basketball courts. No 50 year olds for that matter either.

I just saw a Real Sports profile on Earl Campbell, former NFL running back. The guy can't walk unassisted & he's only 50. Then I see Borg & Mac still playing their sport at that age. I'm not really an NFL fan, but I can't even begin to fathom the kind of athleticism running backs possess(running 4.4 40s, bench 350, squat 500), which puts them on another planet compared to tennis players. Not to mention all the great college players that never make it to the NFL.

Yeah, there may be arrogant, money-hungry criminals in the NFL, but they are willing to sacrifice their health for their sport/team, which is admirable in some way.

Are guys in college just sexist, macho and testosterone driven??

let me guess this is your school? did somebody there steal your girlfriend or something? that's a pretty broad stereotype. maybe you should move from texas.

tricky
09-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Nah, the journalist got in an argument with various readers and held firm to his points. It looks like he comes from Rick Bayless school of hateralism. But, then again, you see a lot of sexism and "X is not sport" bias on these boards and other sports forums.

vkartikv
09-13-2007, 12:27 PM

But he does have a point, if you can play a sport at 70(no matter how badly) it does say a bit about what kind of sport it is. Most have to give up basketball past a certain age, but does anyone have to give up tennis? I don't see 70 year olds on my local basketball courts. No 50 year olds for that matter either.

I just saw a Real Sports profile on Earl Campbell, former NFL running back. The guy can't walk unassisted & he's only 50. Then I see Borg & Mac still playing their sport at that age. I'm not really an NFL fan, but I can't even begin to fathom the kind of athleticism running backs possess(running 4.4 40s, bench 350, squat 500), which puts them on another planet compared to tennis players. Not to mention all the great college players that never make it to the NFL.

Yeah, there may be arrogant, money-hungry criminals in the NFL, but they are willing to sacrifice their health for their sport/team, which is admirable in some way.

let me guess this is your school? did somebody there steal your girlfriend or something? that's a pretty broad stereotype. maybe you should move from texas.

My school, indeed but nothing was stolen :) I just wonder how someone (author) with little knowledge of tennis can make such a brash statement

tricky
09-13-2007, 12:31 PM
I just wonder how someone (author) with little knowledge of tennis can make such a brash statement

Because you don't have to be that informed in order to write a sports column. It's not really journalism.

Moose Malloy
09-13-2007, 12:38 PM
I just wonder how someone (author) with little knowledge of tennis can make such a brash statement

I see many brash statements from the tennis fans here on other sports they know nothing about, so I don't see what the problem is.

and like tricky said(or implied) the name of the game in all sports journalism(if you want to get ahead in that field) is to **** people off, make broad statements, etc.

Tennis isn't excluded from this, look at Jon Wertheim, he's one of the few prominent tennis writers in this country, but he sounds like he works for the National Enquirer with all the gossip he reports. I wonder if he's even played tennis.

Maybe he has, but he knows he has to keep things 'spicy' in order to keep his job, not just talk about forehands, backhands, etc.

tricky
09-13-2007, 01:01 PM
The quality of sportswriting nowadays is very poor. This is painfully obvious if you read through "best of X" tomes and realize most of it still isn't very good. Part of the problem is the influence of sports talk radio. But, mostly, sports has become a form of celebrity journalism; ESPN is the E Network for guys.

For example, our LA Times columnist Bill Plashcke is notorious for using one-sentence paragraphs , which itself is poor writing style, as a substitute for insight or a properly constructed argument. However, from what our journos have said on print and radio, Plashcke is excellent at producing regular copy often and always on time. He's a column monkey, and as a result the editors value his work. The irony is that the other sports journalists argue that this is a very valuable thing for their paper, as it fills the pages and keeps people interested.

Most of the quality sportswriting is done in blogs. For example, the best baseball pieces in Southern California come from the Dodgerthoughts blogs.

Honestly, I don't think there's a single tennis columnist that I think does a really good job. Wallace writes brilliantly, if sometimes excessively, on tennis but he's not a columnist.

Moose Malloy
09-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Honestly, I don't think there's a single tennis columnist that I think does a really good job.

you should check this out tricky:

http://www.nysun.com/article/62254

&

http://steveflink.blogspot.com/

Diable
09-13-2007, 01:18 PM
What a dumb *** college journalist...

njjohan
09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Soccer: Athletic event - To be honest, I included rule No. 4 specifically to keep from having to call soccer a sport. ABC only covers the World Cup every four years, the 2006 MLS season opener, and the 2006 MLS All-Star game. If we were in Brazil, soccer would be a sport, but we are in the United States, so it's not.

Now, all good journalists do their research. Surely this guy knew the World Cup only occurs every 4 years???

Flyingpanda
09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Mm I guess he phrased it wrong, but his whole point is that soccer is not really on any of the major networks, which is true. That being said, his article better be some ******** joke.

LuckyR
09-14-2007, 11:55 AM
So the guy evaluates sports by which network broadcasts it. Oookkaaay. Amateur college humor attempt, should probably stick with studying for his major not moving to Hollywood.