PDA

View Full Version : Am I seeing things right ??? Maybe you can tell me please.

IOP
11-03-2004, 12:23 PM
My tennis instructor said, when pros hit returns, their balls actually float about 1 to 2 feet above the net., not by just a few inches above the net and I was asked to correct my technique because thats how I hit returns.

I went to at least 10 ATP/WTA tournaments before and I don't seem to recall that being the typical case. Also, pros returns do not appear to be so on TV.

Who is correct ?

jun
11-03-2004, 12:25 PM
your coach is right. From TV, it's tough to see how much the shots clear the net by. Generally the shots would clear the net 1~3 ft.

StupidCupid
11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
In response to IOP's question, I think its the issue of whether one like to hit flat returns or topspin returns.

I think due to the power element of the game today, most pros choose to hit flatter. Its a hard to achieve high ball velocity with heavy topspin, even though topspins give better margin for error.

StupidCupid
11-03-2004, 12:32 PM
It would be interesting to see how many people on this board likes to hit flat and how many prefers to hit with heavy topspins.

BiGGieStuFF
11-03-2004, 01:35 PM
I prefer topspin until i have an easy putaway and then i flattened it out or when I start playing aggressively I hit flat shots.

AAAA
11-03-2004, 03:51 PM
My tennis instructor said, when pros hit returns, their balls actually float about 1 to 2 feet above the net., not by just a few inches above the net and I was asked to correct my technique because thats how I hit returns.

I went to at least 10 ATP/WTA tournaments before and I don't seem to recall that being the typical case. Also, pros returns do not appear to be so on TV.

Who is correct ?

Even pro that hit 'flat' clear the net by a far bigger margin than many amateurs imagine. I always laugh when young kids/teenagers think they are emulating the pros by trying to consistently hit less than 1 foot above the net.

Down_the_line
11-03-2004, 07:17 PM
I use an Eastern grip on my forehand so I pretty much hit all flat shots.

Deuce
11-03-2004, 08:41 PM
I slice back almost all of my backhand returns, and a good proportion of my forehand returns, as well. This can be a deceptively offensive shot. The fact that your coach mentioned that the pros' returns float suggests slice, does it not?

Of course, there are times which call for taking a chance with topspin - such as when your oppenent is serving & volleying - you want the return to dip down at his feet. And there are other times when you just need to crank it up and go for a winner. Those feel awful good, don't they?